MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed mine the other day, they were in a bad way. Lost a couple of balls, could not find a good guide as to how to do it. So a friend and i just winged it, it's not too hard so if anyone needs to do it contact me and i'll run you through it.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Did you replace them with the genuine MV part or the aftermarket? I had mine changed at the 6K service as the mechanic said they were getting rough (at 6K :( ...his guess was maybe the previous owner had used a pressure cleaner on the wheels), I went with the aftermarket for a cost of about AU$40 for both when the MV part cost about AU$200 each :jsm:

·
Registered
8,920 Posts
Mine need to be replaced (the dealer is checking to see if it can be done under warranty) after only 9k miles. What aftermarket ones did (can) you use (in case I have to buy them)?

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
How are people deciding that the bearings need to be replaced? Just rolling the wheel or taking it off? Is there actually slop in them or are they just rough?

My bike has only about 8400 miles, but I guess I should check them now...

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
You need to drop the wheel out and turn the shaft with your fingers, they usually feel like they have square balls in there :jsm: spinning the wheel in the bike won't show it as well

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
My MV has done $35000km now and it became very obvious they needed replacing, it was a horrible noise/feeling through the bars. looks like i was right

The ones on the FAQ that Gladio posted are the right ones, however I had a charity ride on the weekend and didn't have time to find aftermarket ones so went with originals, at $111AU a side.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Holy cow. You might want to check the ones in your rear hub too... They are probably shot by now.

Usually bike wheel bearings last quite a while.... Although I've heard that power washing the MV is a bad idea for this reason, the bearings will get cleaned out.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Dr Evil said:
however I had a charity ride on the weekend and didn't have time to find aftermarket ones so went with originals, at $111AU a side.
mmmm, I rang after my post the other day as I was curious...and I was quoted AU$201 per bearing.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Wheel bearing going bad that quick is just insane. I can't believe this wouldn't be covered under warranty.

Are they not sealed bearings?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Rockethouse said:
mmmm, I rang after my post the other day as I was curious...and I was quoted AU$201 per bearing.

Mate, who do you shop with? I'll do you a deal and send you some via Perth for AU$151 :laughing:

It looks like the other one had been changed for an aftermarket one already, it had plastic seals and the one in the pic seems to have steel seals. Either way 35000km with very few probs. I had "thoroughly" pressure cleaned it about a yaer ago before i learnt the evils of pressure cleaning.

·
Registered
8,920 Posts
I'll be in Tucson today getting my front wheel bearigns replaced under warranty, if those in the area want to swing by to up their tally of "people they've met in person", I'll be in the vicinity of the shop since I'm riding the bike down, then I plan to hit a lecture at UofA before heading back north.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts