MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Started hearing a scraping noise coming from front of my Brut on the way back from a ride to work Friday. As I turned into the driveway I thought that somehow one of the front brake pads had slipped right out of the calipers and that the pots were mashing against the disc.... that's how horrible it sounded

Just took a look at the front wheel and the bearing is falling apart :jsm:
I can see bits of "peeled off" metal and all the ball bearings on the right had side are exposed - looks like a couple have gone missing completely

This is a 2012 Brutale with 17,000 km's on the clock and still under warranty till October.

So I've got a question or 2:
  1. Has this happened to anyone else on such a low mileage?
  2. You think the dealers are going to honor a warranty claim or are they going to try for the "wear and tear" excuse
  3. If the bearing has kukked completely can I expect there to be damage to other bits and pieces?

·
Registered
639 Posts
You've been pretty lucky not getting hurt in a crash...
Imho 17000km for a bearing is not that much....
Depending in maintenance.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You've been pretty lucky not getting hurt in a crash...
Imho 17000km for a bearing is not that much....
Depending in maintenance.
Sheesh ... MV must be making them out of putty then .

My Triumph Sprint had done 90,000 when I traded her in on the Brut and I never had to do bearings

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Have all the services and maintenance been kept up with? Front wheel function checks are in there. Spontaneous failure in the front seems unlikely without some outside influence or reinstallation damage. Ride over anything or front wheel off recently?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I cant believe you can ride a bike, with the front wheel bearing so badly deteriorating, and not notice it.
:confused:
Not schidding you ... was fine when I went out (or at least I never heard or felt anything) .
On the way back I started to hear an intermittent scraping which got steadily worse. Got off the bike a few times to see if I could spot anything, but only actually saw the "real" damage when I got home.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Have all the services and maintenance been kept up with? Front wheel function checks are in there. Spontaneous failure in the front seems unlikely without some outside influence or reinstallation damage. Ride over anything or front wheel off recently?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Services have all been done at the stealership from new. One would think they'd have checked everything

hmmm... had new rubber put on fairly recently

·
Registered
20 Posts
Jeez dude, looks awful, good luck with Cayenne sorting this out have been waiting for a simple part now for 2 months.

·
Registered
661 Posts
There you have it, new rubber put on recently, that is the highest probability, most likely cause. Need to find dependable techs to work on Bike.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
There you have it, new rubber put on recently, that is the highest probability, most likely cause. Need to find dependable techs to work on Bike.
Been using the same bike tyre shop for the last 6 years on various bikes with no hassles at all, so if they are the problem with this bike then I'm seriously worried. I doubt the dealership would be even close to knowing what these guys do

... and really ... WTF ? ... since when did changing a tire become rocket science that needed a "technician"?

·
Registered
14,209 Posts
McSack;
the bearing is a 6907-2RS.....

Replace both bearings......

Fragile;
get a grip, look up the duty rating of a 6907-2RS bearing, MV made a stupid design choice :naughty::naughty::naughty::naughty::naughty:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
McSack;
the bearing is a 6907-2RS.....

Replace both bearings......

Fragile;
get a grip, look up the duty rating of a 6907-2RS bearing, MV made a stupid design choice :naughty::naughty::naughty::naughty::naughty:
Thanks Noel

I reckon I'm going to order them and do myself. Seems like there is very little chance that the dealership is going to replace under warranty

Just a quick n00b question
The 6907-2RS has two contact rubber seals one on each side of the bearing. There is a ZZ that is exactly the same size but has two non-contact metal shields . Are the 2 bearings interchangeable and if so, which would be the better option?

·
Registered
933 Posts
Before you get a lynch mob together and storm your local mechanics with pitch forks and flaming torches in hand check the length of the spacer which is inside your wheel and compare that measurement with the distance from bearing seat to bearing seat on your rim, if there is a difference the wheel bearings may have been preloaded too much . Just a suggestion.

·
Registered
9,945 Posts
Ive seen a low miles post 2010 front wheel with notchy front bearings. I believe the subject of fw bearing damage has come up before for this era of bike.

The tyre shop only tighten the nut onto the stack and the inner races of the bearings are not likely to be damaged unless an insane torque was put in.

Most suspect is the length or absense of the inner bearing "sleeve/tube"

Joe

·
Vendor
5,154 Posts
Thanks Noel

I reckon I'm going to order them and do myself. Seems like there is very little chance that the dealership is going to replace under warranty

Just a quick n00b question
The 6907-2RS has two contact rubber seals one on each side of the bearing. There is a ZZ that is exactly the same size but has two non-contact metal shields . Are the 2 bearings interchangeable and if so, which would be the better option?
2RS is what you want to keep water and dirt out.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Before you get a lynch mob together and storm your local mechanics with pitch forks and flaming torches in hand check the length of the spacer which is inside your wheel and compare that measurement with the distance from bearing seat to bearing seat on your rim, if there is a difference the wheel bearings may have been preloaded too much . Just a suggestion.
This is correct. Spacer length is super important. Many people install bearings and drive them home up against the hub flange and if the spacer is slightly to long the bearings will be side loaded and prematurely fail. When installing only drive the bearing to were it just touches the spacer tube.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts