MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sorry for all the posts today guys (what happens when you go away for a while :) ) anyway, out riding today, before the coolant leak, and I still can't seem to get this bike setup the way I want it. It's not tipping in as fast as I think it should and it tends to run wide out of corners. I'm used to apilia's (tuono and rsv's), and although the tuono took a bit more effort to get it tipped in (but then dropped quickly), once there it would hold the line like a train. The brutale is just not living up to it's reputation which means it's either me or the setup. I noticed the forks are just peeping out of the top triple clamp and I usually pull them through a few rings on my other bikes, so may try this. Can't seem to find any info on this setup though. Are there lines on the top of the forks? Has anyone rraised them? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
461 Posts
As you say try pushing the fork legs up through the top yoke so you have three rings showing when looking at the side. See how that goes. If still not quick enough for you, raise the read ride height a little.

Will try and post some pics and measurements later from my bike the settings which work for me. You may find the more angle you put in though the less stable the bike will feel at speed in a straight line.

Really is just a case of try and see what works for you though.

Dave

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
Just drop the rings one at a time and test before going more. Add a bit of rebound in front to stop the running wide as you get on the gas, and look through the corner, not down onto the track.

·
Registered
601 Posts
One small change at a time. Note results. Change again. Note results.
Keep going until your happy, or one step past, and then back to where
You were happy:)

·
Registered
21 Posts
For me I just put it ALL firm thanks to some advice from some friendly forum members. Huge difference. Now I can't believe how well it handles. Before that I wondered what was wrong with it. I have about 2.5 rings worth of tube through the top of the clamp.

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
For me I just put it ALL firm thanks to some advice from some friendly forum members. Huge difference. Now I can't believe how well it handles. Before that I wondered what was wrong with it. I have about 2.5 rings worth of tube through the top of the clamp.
:jsm:

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks guys, I'll definetly do the forks - and add a bit more rebound. See how that goes. Report back as soon as I can get the waterpump fixed (bloody frustrating!).

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
thanks guys, I'll definetly do the forks - and add a bit more rebound. See how that goes. Report back as soon as I can get the waterpump fixed (bloody frustrating!).
Hi.John ,first thing you should do is your sag settings,then rear compression and rebound,then front compression and rebound.I have my settings somewhere,let me know if you need them my weight 74 kg.
cheers eddy:brutale:ps:do not put everything on hard especially for our crappy roads.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I know tyres are a personal thing but by far the best mod i ever did to my brutale was to fit a michelin power race tyre to the front end.
The effect it had on the steering & front end feel was fantastic. I had adjusted the suspension but was still not happy with how it steered & how it needed constant handlebar pressure to hold a line in corners & it also annoyed me how mid corner bumps would make it want to stand up & drift wide.
The michelin has a far more racy profile than the standard road rubber so it turns into corners far easier & seems to be of a softer construction, ie more give in the sidewalls.
It instantly transformed the bike & now it steers just like my cbr 600 ! It rolls into bends with virtually no bar pressure, just shifting my weight to the inside has it carving a line beautifully & the mid corner ripples on the road surface don't seem to effect it at all now.

Brilliant in my opinion :)

Andy.

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
Okay, by adding a bit more re-bound I meant wind your rebound towards the plus, in other words you would actually be slowing re-bound down (so actually less re-bound action from the spring).
What this does is it stop's the forks from pulling out too fast as you get on the gas in a turn, and that will help to prevent the bike running wide.

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
Welcome to the forum mate

Hi eddypro, can you post your settings??? I send you a PM also.

Thanks...
Be careful copying someone else's suspension settings mate, download the manuals first and set your bike back to a standard setting - http://my.agusta.us/ - then ride it and adjust from there.
What bike have you got ? What problem have you got ? What tyre's are you running and at what pressure's ? How old are your tyres ?
There is a lot of things that can determine how a bike feels and behaves, and copying someone else settings is not always the best way to go.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Be careful copying someone else's suspension settings mate, download the manuals first and set your bike back to a standard setting - http://my.agusta.us/ - then ride it and adjust from there.
What bike have you got ? What problem have you got ? What tyre's are you running and at what pressure's ? How old are your tyres ?
There is a lot of things that can determine how a bike feels and behaves, and copying someone else settings is not always the best way to go.
Your correct,donsy,I just sent tony a guide,everybike at the end of the day is setup differently,It just might work for him,its just a starting point on my adjustements that might help him.To many variables.

cheers eddy :lightning

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
Your correct,donsy,I just sent tony a guide,everybike at the end of the day is setup differently,It just might work for him,its just a starting point on my adjustements that might help him.To many variables.

cheers eddy :lightning
Cheers Eddy
I have a lot of guys asking for my suspension settings, crikey, have you seen my bike shake it's head in the video's. Point is I know what does it and there is nothing I can do about it with the suspension I have on the bike. I then go about making the other parts of my suspension work better, I am better on the brakes than ever before and corner speed has improved vastly.
Point is, some guys think suspension settings is a number you dial in and then it's all good. Not realising that his fork oil might be absolutely wasted, or the back shock busted like mine.
Nor do they realise you have to adjust one thing at a time, and then go ride and feel what it does, and then depending on riding style and tyre construction, the difference between two bikes could be huge.
Setting rider SAG is also well worth doing, and gives you a good idea of what condition your suspension is in, in relation to your weight too.
How many guys with MV's do you know that own's a ride height measuring tool ?
That's why I always say, get a ride height measuring tool from CAG or Noel, download the manual, get a book to write all your findings in and get on with it. Then ask the questions.
:)

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
I just want a ttx36 back shock and ohlins front shocks,do you think I am dreaming,yep to much cash for me ?.I have set up my bike to the best of my ability donsy and feel the only other way to better it is spend dollars,so I think this will do for a while,thumbs up on your right up , totally correct,be good.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
thanks eddy, yep front and rear sags are both done (it's the first thing I do with a new bike). Pulling the forks through will speed up the tip in I'm sure - and I can cope with a bit of head shake. I know what you're saying Donsy re rebound and have messed with that, but probably haven't been methodical enough, but it must be bloody sensitive.

For example, any Brisbane rider would know the run from Kilcoy to Sommerset dam. I used to be minutes in front of everyone on the Tuono, now I'm last on the brutale. It's either bucking me off, or understeering to buggery. I know I'm comparing it to the Tuono, but that had it's short comings - and I know the Brutale should be better. On the Tuono I could even change line half way through a corner and it would just drop in harder and stay there. There's no way the Brutale would do this without me having bionic arms, and then I wouldnt trust it.

I think I need to ride another 1078 (eddy?), because the more I think about it, the more I suspect there is something wrong other than just settings (maybe front spring rate, over filled forks?)

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
+10

I just want a ttx36 back shock and ohlins front shocks,do you think I am dreaming,yep to much cash for me ?.I have set up my bike to the best of my ability donsy and feel the only other way to better it is spend dollars,so I think this will do for a while,thumbs up on your right up , totally correct,be good.
I have done loads of work on my forks, and at the moment I think I found the sweet spot, they are really great. But as for the rear, it is good enough for the road but not for racing, I too want something like a TTX.

thanks eddy, yep front and rear sags are both done (it's the first thing I do with a new bike). Pulling the forks through will speed up the tip in I'm sure - and I can cope with a bit of head shake. I know what you're saying Donsy re rebound and have messed with that, but probably haven't been methodical enough, but it must be bloody sensitive.

For example, any Brisbane rider would know the run from Kilcoy to Sommerset dam. I used to be minutes in front of everyone on the Tuono, now I'm last on the brutale. It's either bucking me off, or understeering to buggery. I know I'm comparing it to the Tuono, but that had it's short comings - and I know the Brutale should be better. On the Tuono I could even change line half way through a corner and it would just drop in harder and stay there. There's no way the Brutale would do this without me having bionic arms, and then I wouldnt trust it.

I think I need to ride another 1078 (eddy?), because the more I think about it, the more I suspect there is something wrong other than just settings (maybe over filled forks?)
If it is bucking you too much, I found the same on my 910S, I increased the rebound ( so the spring bounces back slower )and decreased the damping ( allowing the spring to compress a bit more ), and that helped a lot. At my weight I had pre-load about 40% in. Always a good idea to ride someone elses bike too.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts

I think I need to ride another 1078 (eddy?), because the more I think about it, the more I suspect there is something wrong other than just settings (maybe front spring rate, over filled forks?)
Come over some time,and we can check it out,have a ride on my bike so we can figure things out,but give me warning John,as I am running between my partners house and mine,oh, I forgot and the kids.
cheers bud,sundays are good for a ride.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts