MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For an 2000 F4 750, where I think the bottem forks are different from later F4's
I use a rear stand, which in turn puts more weight on the front tyre.
The bike stands on carpet, during winter is it a good idea to get the weight of both tyres?

If so can I use something like this http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorcycle/front-stands/warrior-front-paddock-stand which goes under the forks, or should I get one which operates like the rear stand and takes the weight through the front axle? That's if you can buy this because the chap at demon-tweaks says they don't do make them?

Thanks for any help.

·
Administrator
19,805 Posts
A conventional front axle lift is readily available. A stand that lifts from the steering stem is not so easily found at reasonable cost.
The front wheel axle lifts for just about any bike will work on your MV.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
The weight distribution between the front and the back with and without a rear axle stand would be negligible. I use a generic front stand like the one you linked to in order to keep the front tire from getting a flat spot over the winter (minor inconvenience, but still an inconvenience). I've personally never come across an axle pin type stand for the front, just the universal fork or stem lifts. I'm guessing this is for maintenance practicality over storage/looks, since a front axle pin would negate front wheel removal.

·
Administrator
19,805 Posts
buy the one in your link....looks like a good deal. won't be able to service forks, but changing tires will not be a problem.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can't recommend the Bursig stands enough...
They look expensive, and I do little work on the bike apart from keeping her real pretty. That's for you peeps who want to strip em. I just want to get both tryes off the ground, and be able to clean the front wheel for a change.

·
Super Moderator
22,313 Posts
Just a note on changing tires/tyres/wheels with a "fork-bottom front stand: With the front wheel/axel removed, the front forks can twist...quite easily actually...this can cause the front of the bike to come out of the cradles that the forks sit in.

Use caution and re-install the axle to help provide rigidity and, therefore,s stability.

(This item of information was brought to you by the words H*LY F*CK, SH*T...and a moment of shear panic.)

Back to your original programming already in progress......

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
I take your point Bert and certainly money isn't in limitless supply for most of us mere mortals....

However the Bursig does tick alot of boxes and provides a great lift to get both front and rear end off the floor in seconds without a helper. The stands are also highly saleable if ever you wish to change direction in the future..

So, when I look at what it enables me to do and how little space it takes up and it's high resale value it is actually cheap in the long run...

The bike is valuable and I wouldn't want to see it fall through dodgy lifts...

: )

joe

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
Just a note on changing tires/tyres/wheels with a "fork-bottom front stand: With the front wheel/axel removed, the front forks can twist...quite easily actually...this can cause the front of the bike to come out of the cradles that the forks sit in.

Use caution and re-install the axle to help provide rigidity and, therefore,s stability.

(This item of information was brought to you by the words H*LY F*CK, SH*T...and a moment of shear panic.)

Back to your original programming already in progress......
What where you using to support the rear ....... ?

·
Super Moderator
22,313 Posts
It was on a Bull Dog swing arm stand

·
Super Moderator
22,313 Posts
Cool Cool Joel! Looking forward to the beer, the visit and the wheels!

Yes, it was nearly a bad day in the garage. I was installing wheels after I got new tires, walked around the bike and bumped the right hand grip...the front end twisted and one forked popped out of the front stand. The bike tipped to that side, but it did not fall over!

I used a bottle jack and some careful application of pressure to get the fork compressed enough to sit back in the stand. Disaster averted.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I have a Bike lift (www.bikelift.net) that has a supporting bracket that lifts the MV by the lower headstock, as the MV has no drilled hole in the steering head bearing post. Bought it off a forum member a while ago, its a bit large but works well enough, the website does not have it listed anymore but there are more updated ones.

·
Super Moderator
22,313 Posts
I now have Lee's BikeLift front stand...and a Bursig.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts