MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, this may be a topic that has come up before, but its new for myself. I just called up to order a set of STM fork pre-load adjusters and when they asked me for what kind of bike, I told them an MV F4S and the guy said that he didnt have any in stock for that bike, and just had them for bikes with Showa front forks. When I told him I believe I have Showa forks (glanced back at my bike to confirm it) he said that I had Marzocchi's, not Showa's. I was lost! Did some swap out my forks or the decal or something? Did MV use both? What's up with that? The guy on the phone was no help, so I figured I would ask you guys. Any info or advice would be great. Oh and by the way, my bikes an 02 F4S, if that makes a difference on whether the forks came with it or not... Thanks!

·
Registered
237 Posts
The older(pre Senna)750's had Showa forks. So they are just unfamilair with the details of the line. :conveyer:

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My Duc's have had Showa and Ohlins, how are the Marz? Any pros or cons, or are they pretty much the same deal?

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
My 05 F4 has the Marzocchi's, not Showa's. I guess it depends on the year of the bike.
The Marzocchi's company seems to have been around for many years and apparently they make a very good product.
I've been doing the baseline adjustments on mine and they seem to set-up very well and with very low "sticktion" (stick/friction) numbers which is a good indicator of quality. Plus the spring rates are pretty much spot on which is rare for stock suspension.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Marzocchi is argueably the best fork company in the world. They make forks for mountain bikes, dirtbikes, everything. VERY Highly respected in the mountain bike industry, thier forks are no slouch when compared to anything.

I would probably have to say...Ohlins is probably just valved a tad better, but nowhere NEAR as lateraly stiff.

But, as for the topic at hand...you have Showas. Which are no slouch either....just not Marz or Ohlins :)

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You know the bell didn't go off till you mentioned mountian bikes. Now the name Marzocchi stands out. I had heard of them, but never really associated them with motorcycles, but now it makes sense.

So I guess it's safe to say I can get the Showa pre-load adjusters I want. Thanks for all your help people...

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
DucatiGuy said:
You know the bell didn't go off till you mentioned mountian bikes. Now the name Marzocchi stands out. I had heard of them, but never really associated them with motorcycles, but now it makes sense.

So I guess it's safe to say I can get the Showa pre-load adjusters I want. Thanks for all your help people...
Hi, If your fork tops look like these (without the added adusters) and are red in colour you have Showa's, The Marocchi's are better standard than the Showa's, as said the spring rate is just about right for most of us, however I had my Marzocchi's revalved over the winter by Maxton, he said the compression was too harsh, and there was a lack of low speed rebound, he also said they were good quaity and he was very pleased with the way they turned out, didn't cost a fortune either (£230) they are now very good I must say.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
Am I correct in saying the 750 F4's have 49mm Showa's as standard and the 1000's have 50mm Marzocchis? :)

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
all 750's came with the showas except the SPR i believe. all 1000's come with marzocchi's. not sure about brutale.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
mikef4uk said:
The Marocchi's are better standard than the Showa's.
Mike,

What do you think is better about the Marzocchi than the Showa? I dont think many of us will notice the extra mm. Is the valving better?

I imagined the swap was more of a supply issue. MV coming back online and showa either would no longer supply them or MV moved to an Italian manufacturer for a closer relationship?

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
oicdn said:
Marzocchi is argueably the best fork company in the world. They make forks for mountain bikes, dirtbikes, everything. VERY Highly respected in the mountain bike industry, thier forks are no slouch when compared to anything.

I would probably have to say...Ohlins is probably just valved a tad better, but nowhere NEAR as lateraly stiff.

But, as for the topic at hand...you have Showas. Which are no slouch either....just not Marz or Ohlins :)
I'm not a beleiver yet. Call the US distributor and ask them about motorcycle forks. Good luck... I had to contact the distributor in the UK for some answers, and then they weren't forthecoming. They might be well known for their mountain bike and dirt bike components, but for road bikes???

The Showa forks on my 750 are very good and I have plenty of track miles on the bike. I can't say the same about the Brutale, at this point.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Thier road forks are essentially revalved dirt forks. The KTM dealer around here told me they made a kit that can vonvert your dirtbike into a Supermoto with the road valve/spring kit. I was a bit skeptical, but went to the Marz site and noticed they do infact use the same legs and stantions.

So if they are infact the same sans valving...I'm sold. I've ridden 43mm Ohlins, on a 996, and the front end is NOWHERE near as stiff, and the valving is slightly better, but I'de imagine I could get it dialed on my bike the same. Albeit, the 50mm diameter of the Marzocchi's prolly contribute alot to it, but I still didn't find it anything worth notin over the Marzocchis. Granted it wasn't on a track, so I can't comment on the Marzocchi's on the track as I haven't tracked my bike yet, but going based on the reviews in the mags, they all say the Marz are track focused forks anyways, so my opinion likely wouldn't change.

For mountain biking, Marzocchi makes GREAT forks, but I personally ride on Fox forks, or a rigid fork. But the Marzocchi forks I did own, were very linear and smooth, just a tad on the heavy side. Which is the main reason I went to Fox, cause they were tons lighter.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
JamesC said:
Mike,

What do you think is better about the Marzocchi than the Showa? I dont think many of us will notice the extra mm. Is the valving better?

I imagined the swap was more of a supply issue. MV coming back online and showa either would no longer supply them or MV moved to an Italian manufacturer for a closer relationship?
I think they have a better spring rate, and also better compression damping in their standard state, I was certainly not aware of any serious diving problems under brakes as I was with my 750, The Maxton lads say the likes of Showa etc are getting better and better all the time. The Marzocchi forks although looking similar are totally different inside, the spring is a very short affair about 9 inches long

As for the fork supply swapping from Showa to Marzocchi I'm not sure, one thought is that MV didn't pay their bills, but Showa are supplying them with rear shocks

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
mikef4uk said:
As for the fork supply swapping from Showa to Marzocchi I'm not sure, one thought is that MV didn't pay their bills, but Showa are supplying them with rear shocks
The rear shocks are Sachs?

While Showa comes stock on a lot of bikes, they have a variety of different levels of shocks, some very, very pricey. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts