MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My front brakes are grabbing too much with the brake off. its tough to move it with the front wheel off the ground. Bled the brakes and the fluid level is under the max.

do you have any ideas as to why? its a 750 but the wheels and discs are off a 1000. should be the same right.

i know there should be a little drag but this is too much??

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Here's what I would do.

First i would check to see that the wheel was mounted correctly.
  • Wheel (the rim) mounted in the correct rotational direction? (Keep in mind that the tire could be mounted backward on the rim.)
  • Axle sitting correctly in the fork legs?
  • Axle pieces screwed together all the way?
I would try and push the pads back into the calipers. If you can do this, and the wheel then spins freely, you should be okay.

What changed? Did you change the wheel? Or did you just notice this after a ride?

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
darthmvader said:
its a 750 but the wheels and discs are off a 1000. should be the same right.
Are you using the axle off of the 750 or the 1000? I don't know whether they are the same. I've ordered wheels and didn't have to specify if it was for a 750 or 1000. I'm not sure the rotors are different either.

However, it's interesting in that the earlier bikes had Showa front forks which are 49mm and starting sometime 2004 I believe they switched to Marzocchi forks which are 50mm. So I wonder if they were built with the caliper mounts in the same position, bottom tripple might account for differece in diameter, or if the axle or anything else is different.

If I had to guess I'd say perhaps the offset is different and the tire is mounted backwards or it's just normal brake drag.

Let us know what you find out.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Gladio said:
So I wonder if they were built with the caliper mounts in the same position, bottom tripple might account for differece in diameter, or if the axle or anything else is different.
hmmmmm. very interesting point. yes, let us know.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Did you have no problem, then change to the 1000 stuff and then the problem occurred? Im betting their not interchangable without modification, have you ridden with the change?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I took everything apart, took the brakes out of the calipers but everything back together to the exact torque specs and everything is all smooth now. thanks!

I ll eventually post up the story and pics on my bike as it didnt come as the usual 'all there' package. Missing a few bits here and there?????????

1 - 8 of 8 Posts