MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone done this school? I'm signing up for September 6/7 because I want to take it at Miller Motorsports Park. From what I have seen, it looks like a great track!

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
i have two words for you....
YOU SUCK!

ok, you don't. i'm just so damn jealous that you're going to be doing Spencer's school at the best track in the USA.

i may have to tie you up, stuff you in a closet, and show up in your place....

if i had the money, i'd be all over this.

alex

·
Registered
479 Posts
Miller has the best facility...I don't think best track though.

Anyway, I have two friends that have done Spencer's school and neither could speak more highly of it.

·
Registered
8,920 Posts
Haven't ridden at Miller yet, but its sounds odd, because it's totally flat, but very nice and new.

I just wish I was a rich sob and could build my own track without even having to get corporate backing :drummer:

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Chris,

Which school are you taking? Based on your WSMC#, I assume you either taking a 2 or a 3-day Pro School.

I took a 2-day Pro School earlier this year. I really like the drill portion. Picked up a few seconds from it. Didn't really care for the Freddie's portion. I could do without and instead traded it for more instruction or track time. Nick is a top-notch instructor who can communicate very well. I wish Dale (Keiffer) and Jeff (Haney) were more involved. Ken Hill was also very helpful but the damn bastid forced me to give up some of my mid-corner speed. He was right, of course.

I wished the student riding skills were much closer together but unfortunately that was not the case. I couldn't understand how can people been through the Pro School several times already (3) and yet possess speed only good enough for a trackday's Intermediate level riding group. During my school, 2 of those people crashed within the 3 corner of the first lap during the first session of the day. It was dicey out there during the 2 days.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Well Chris of you happen to put a link up maybe I can see what I can do to join you, Iam not gonna let you try and get ahead of me that easy :)

btw you ready for willow this weekend and next :)

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ARCHILLE said:
Chris,

Which school are you taking? Based on your WSMC#, I assume you either taking a 2 or a 3-day Pro School.
Nah, I'm not in your league bro. I'm just doing the regular 2 day school to brush up on the basics, have fun, and learn the track. Miller looks like a good (and safe) track. Is that where you did the Pro School? I've been doing Willow on and off for 14 years, so pretty much a one track wonder. And not all that wonderful, ha ha, just trying to work my way back up to run Formula 40 (or 50 at the rate I'm going). I appreciate your comments, though, and hope that I won't get frustrated by too slow of a pace. If I like the school, my plan is to take the higher level class at Vegas in a month or two. Does that sound reasonable or should I stick with Miller?

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thecraw-r1f4 said:
Well Chris of you happen to put a link up maybe I can see what I can do to join you, Iam not gonna let you try and get ahead of me that easy :)

btw you ready for willow this weekend and next :)

Don't worry, I'll be ready, how about you? You've got so many cameras and sensors mounted on that bike of yours it should be able to drive by itself. :)

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Nevermore said:
Nah, I'm not in your league bro. I'm just doing the regular 2 day school to brush up on the basics, have fun, and learn the track. Miller looks like a good (and safe) track. Is that where you did the Pro School? I've been doing Willow on and off for 14 years, so pretty much a one track wonder. And not all that wonderful, ha ha, just trying to work my way back up to run Formula 40 (or 50 at the rate I'm going). I appreciate your comments, though, and hope that I won't get frustrated by too slow of a pace. If I like the school, my plan is to take the higher level class at Vegas in a month or two. Does that sound reasonable or should I stick with Miller?
I did it at LVMS but it was late January. During this time of the year, I recommend Miller. Miller is my favorite track. Wide and grippy. Oh yeah, I tested their gravel trap and tried their medical center. No complaint, here! :)

I've raced at Willow twice. I like the track layout but hate the unpredictable weather pattern especially the wind, the heat, and the snow. :nutkick:

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ARCHILLE said:
I've raced at Willow twice. I like the track layout but hate the unpredictable weather pattern especially the wind, the heat, and the snow. :nutkick:
Yep, good ol Will-Blow Springs. The forecast for Saturday is only 96 degrees, yippee! Hey, let me know next time you're at Willow, we'll meet up! BTW, the Toyota 200 is in Sept :stickpoke

Well, the Spencer school just called me back with some schedule changes. The only choice in Sept is the 3-day camp or the Pro School. Hmmmm, decisions, decisions. The 3-day includes a half day in the dirt which might be fun. :ahhh:

·
Registered
479 Posts
ARCHILLE said:
Ken Hill was also very helpful but the damn bastid forced me to give up some of my mid-corner speed. He was right, of course.
James Randolph (I'm guessing you know who this is?) took my 929 out once with my Data Aq running. He came back in telling me how he felt like he was getting into turn 1 at T-hill pretty good. We compared my data, and I had about 10MPH more at entry to midcorner in turn 1 than James. However, by the entry to Turn 2 he was carrying more than 20 MPH over me. I was 4-5 seconds slower a lap than him (though he was really just kinda playing around).

It was an interesting lesson to say the least.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK, I did the 3 day Freddie Spencer school last week at Miller and it was absolutely the experience of a lifetime :) The track instructors were Nick Ienatsch, Jeff Haney and Ken Hill - all great riders but more importantly, great coaches. I couldn't believe how much they crammed into three days. Every single person in the class improved noticeably . . . and it was easy to tell since they video taped each rider every day and played them in front of the class (slightly embarrassing for me). Freddie presented some fantastic lessons and gave everybody a ride around the track on a stock VFR750. I thought it would be terrifying, but I ended up just grinning the whole way around. The guy is so smooth and controlled it is just other-worldly.
And as for Miller, wow, what a track . . . incredible surface. We actually met the designer Alan Wilson, fascinating guy. Jason DiSalvo was also there practicing on his R1. Cool dude. He let me follow him for a lap or two, but when he left a 30 foot black mark going into turn 7, I realized he had checked out, ha ha.
Everything all three days was the best and I would readily recommend this school to anyone interested in improving their riding skills. I am already signed up for the Pro School and will be counting the days until I can get back.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
awesome stuff, chris!

now, i'll be the one following you around! hope you can teach me a few things you picked up at the school!

alex

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
altoon said:
awesome stuff, chris!

now, i'll be the one following you around! hope you can teach me a few things you picked up at the school!

alex
Sure, lots of great tips . . .Although I am reserving the first lesson for Payman, hee hee :stickpoke I think Payman is doing Fastrack at Fontana on Oct 14, but since that is WSMC weekend, I'll probably go there. When is your next track day?

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
i'm look @ that fastrack day at fontucky too. it's the full ama course.

haven't signed up yet, but need to get on that ASAP.

alex

just a quick update - looks like spots are only open for the 15th right now. i'll probably go into the Level 2 group. last time out there, i was just getting under the 2:00 lap time. i'll need a few more laps around that place to find a sub 1:50 pace.

payman - what day are u signed up for? i need some lessons! help!!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts