MV Agusta Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as some of you know, I had some issues with my TVL. I bought it used from the second owner, who was in Chicago.
I had issues with the clutch, the sprag clutch, there was an after market exhaust, no center stand, and a few other little things that needed to be fixed..... (old news).
Then after most of the issues where addressed, the engine shit the bed and needed to be replaced. I don't the details, but I was told the crank shaft some how got bent??? I don't how it could have happened or if that is even true....
So the bike only had about 11K miles on it at the time, and Ken, who worked for MV Agusta, USA at the time ( he no longer does) Came to my rescue ( thank you Ken, once again). He had "his" mechanic pick up the bike from the dealership, and replace the engine with a rebuilt one, that "his" mechanic personally rebuilt.
I never new who the mechanic was, where the engine came from, how many miles were on it.... nothing. Ken assured me it was perfect. Except for yet another sprag clutch, ( which was replaced, at no cost to me) the engine has been running great.
So today I was looking at the bike and noticed that the engine is from an F3. I don't know if there was much difference in the performance of 2 engines, but when I did get the bike back after the engine was replaced it was much peppier, I always figured it was because I finally have a motor that ran the way it should.
So with all the parts that I replaced: OEM exhaust came from the Ukraine, the center stand from someone on FleeBay, the engine from a F3... several sprag clutch replacements...
My TVL is the Frankinbike special addition.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
How do you know it came from an F3?

Sent from my Armor 9 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
24,431 Posts
Rob, you may have an extraordinary engine in there. Ken's "mechanic" at that time was probably Bruce Meyers.

·
Premium Member
2,653 Posts
Hahaha the end! :LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO::eek:

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How do you know it came from an F3?

On the left side engine cover it is embossed "F3" the TVL is embossed " Turismo Veloce"
I am assuming the Brutale would be embossed with "Brutale"

·
Premium Member
2,653 Posts
F4 is visible not Brutale on Brutale first Gen.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Rim Personal luxury car

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Your talking about the generator cover cover right? Mine says F3...I don't know of any TVs that it actually says TV or TVL on the cover. Maybe you just hadn't noticed it before

A way to know if your engine is from a TV is if you have a hydraulic clutch instead of cable. That's the only major change that differentiates it from all the other models.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I found an old picture of my TVL and it has something on it, it's deffinatley not F3, I looks like "Turismo Veloce"
It's hard to read, that's what it looks like.
If someone has a 2016 TVL they should be able to verify it.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Tire Wheel Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Hood
Both my 2015 Stradale and 2017 Brutale had or have F3 on the engine case.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well there you go, another Frankinbike...

·
Registered
875 Posts
I doubt you have an F3 engine. Maybe parts of it.

It's not an easy swap. The shift drum operates counter clockwise so you're shift pattern would be in reverse. The gear indicator would be messed up. The ignition timing, fueling etc is all different. You would be missing a tilt sensor. And lots of all kinds of problems. 😉

Engine casing number would be the first thing to look at. It's on the rear of the engine.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well there you go, a run in the mill TVL.

·
Registered
5,161 Posts
As far as I know all of the 3-cylinder 800cc bikes had "F3" stamped cases for several years. My 2014 Rivale 800 has it. I've owned it since new and engine has never been replaced

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I found an old picture of my TVL and it has something on it, it's deffinatley not F3, I looks like "Turismo Veloce"
It's hard to read, that's what it looks like.
If someone has a 2016 TVL they should be able to verify it.
I have a 2016 TV

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I must have made a mistake.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I must have made a mistake.
Well more importantly I think you now know that it's NOT a hodgepodge of different bikes and the problems you have been experiencing are not related to an engine that was not meant to be there.

That would make me feel better. That was my point

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The reality is I have not had any engine related issues since the engine was replaced. The only issue was the sprag clutch and an electrical fluke, which was most likely related to moisture.
I do wish I new more of the origins on the replacement engine, but it runs and is fun to ride so I'm all good.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts