MV Agusta Forum banner

Frame plate alighnment

3K views 22 replies 13 participants last post by  perfect 
#1 ·
Hi Folks,

I was looking at my bike last night and it looks like my frame side plates have moved where they join in the centre?

I am sure they were lined up perfectly when I got the bike.

It's probably nothing to worry about and totally normal.

Also I am thinking about removing the rear indicators completely and installing some flashers in the rear tail section.

The only thing is I don't know where I stand legally, I guess it depends
how visible they are once I have done it.

I will do it once I get a decent rear tail tidy.

Sorry about the poor quality pictures.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Turn signals behind the vent grille is a common mod that I have seen on lots of Ducatis. It will be visible at night, but you'll have to make sure that it is visible during daytime too, otherwise it can be a huge safety issue.

#6 ·
I am going to have it serviced and re mapped at the end of the month so will show it to them, hopefully they will have another F3 in so we can compare.

It may have been like it when I bought it but I am sure I would have noticed it. It's like the right hand plate has moved up slightly.

Perhaps it's flex from going round right hand bends. I'll have to go round a few left handers to see it it moves back lol.

#7 · (Edited)
If I were designing two mating pieces such as these parts I would have some sort of alignment device in place. I expect MV designers have done the same. However, when building to a price point elimination of some manufacturing processes is sometimes seen as a justifiable. I would be very interested to see a exploded view of those parts to see what they used, machined tabs and slots, insertion of precision alignment pins or other.

In the mean time, everyone who has taken delivery of an F3 should go out and visually check their own bike then report back here.

Here's the photo I took of the upper rear shock mount on the display bike my dealer had several weeks ago. It appears to show both sides aligned, not like your photo with one side raised above the other.

#11 ·
upon seeing your photos, i've been to the garage and looked at mine, i seem to have a displacement of about 1mm, idont see how this can occur as the two halves are bolted together (not apparent in your images) , have another look to see the bolt and unless its loose it surely can't move .

#12 ·
I agree, I haven't checked the bolt tension yet, my right plate is also approx 1mm above the left hand plate, I'm going to check my other photos to see if I was originally ok, I'm certain it wasn't like that, you can see the shiny surface where the back of the plate was machined.

I agree it should lock together with a dowl or tab too, very strange. One for the dealer I guess

#15 · (Edited)
From day one I have thought about removing the side plates to get them powder coated in gold, i still might do it as a winter project.

Perhaps I can line them up when I put it back together.

I did wonder if i have disturbed the plates when I replaced the
subframe bolts with Titanium ones.

I haven't touched the frame plate bolts though, I'm really looking forward to taking it apart in the winter.

#17 ·
I will in the summer if we get one, taking it apart will start in November. Sorry I'm a fair weather rider only, it's a lot harder to keep a bike mint if you are rding all year round in all weather

#23 ·
I'm very happy with the results from powder coating, a local company I use can get any colour I want, I have already sent them lots of images of the ORO so we can get the colour right.

Here is a couple bikes I've done before. the C15 tank, mudguards, air box, frame, swimg arm is all powder coated.

I had a loads of stuff powder coated on the Fazer too, it is a lot tuffer so dosen't chip and scuff like paint does. I would argue if lacquered correctly the finish is just as good too.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.