MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to decide whether to powder coat my frame and wheels are use paint. I know how durable powder coating is, I've done a complete car frame and suspension components. It's a great durable finish, but I'm worried about color matching and cost involved, replacing bearings...

Does MV paint the frames? The FAQ lists paint codes for the frame, so I'd have to believe they do. http://mvfaq.blogspot.com/2005/11/paint-codes.html In fact, I have a rub mark from my shark skinz. I guess powder coating would be more durable in that aspect, but paint I could touch up too. I'm tempted to give paint a try and redo it in a year or two if I don't like it.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
878 Posts
You can paint and use a high end heavy duty clear coat, if you want to match it exactly. The clear coat will make it more durable. (you can also clear coat powder coat too). I believe all stock stuff are painted.
Not sure why you refered to your Shakskiz, but I'm sure you know you cannot powder coat plastics(?).

·
Registered
878 Posts
Typically powder coating is cheaper and much tougher. Around $90 for a tray that is 3'x5'. the surcharge for "trying" to match the paint is another $90 or so. So for $180 you can fit a lot of parts on the 3'x5' tray to be powder coated. Of course to clear coat over the powder coat would be extra. Clear coat is typically what gives the paint job the "wet" look.

Also powder coat cannot come in contact with hard industrial cleaning compound. where as clear coat resist any kind of cleaning compound.

By the way, Ducati red is different than MV red.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Spoke to a coater yesterday, I'm going to try and stop by his shop to check colors. I know in the past that the colors available are very limited. I'll see what I can do. He did describe a way to mask off portions using a silicone-based product. I wasn't sure what was available for powdercoating. Last time I priced front wheel bearing they were around $70, can't remember if that's per side, I think that's the set.

Rough estimate right now is $300 for wheels and frame.

My plan was to paint the swingarm and frame plates like the Ago and Tamburini. Now I'm considering getting those powder coated too but I definitely don't want a gloss on those, more of a satin look.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts