MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im starting this topic to get info for myself and anyone else i guess who may encounter a twisted or stretched frame in the future.. I picked up my bike yesterday and was told that unfortunately there is some sort of twist in the frame. We were hoping that there wouldnt be even with the severity of the crash. Most of the impact was absorbed in the broken steering tube, bent front axle and buckled front wheel. The assumption of the twist is made by the alignment of the wheels, when looking at the bike from front and then down the horizontal plane we noticed that the front wheel had a slight inclination on its vertical plane to the left. (hope that makes sence) so in esence it seems the neck of the frame has a very small twist to the left which is visually a slightly larger twist once translated through the tripleclamps and onto the forks and then to the front axle.

I have no doubt that this is easily repairable and ive sourced an engineer to align the frame.. My question is regarding the integrity of the frame after an accident, i was hoping to get some feedback from anyone who has come across an issue with an mv or similar tubular frame.

What i have been told so far is that the strength of the frame is not affected by re-aligning (obviously as long as the frame is not cracked or broken). Is this the case?

e

·
Registered
474 Posts
Hi e,

Sounds like a minor hiccup. A competent repairer will sort you out.
Are you getting it done by Bob Martin?

For those in Sydney, Laurie Alderton at Smithfield has done a few F4's, and one in particular was a right mess before he started.

You say you replaced the lower triple clamp. But is the top one straight? It should go on the forks without and manipulation. Forks confirmed straight (I realise they probably are given the size.) Spin them in the loosened triple and see if there's any wobble.

Don't stress about the frame integrity after repair, it'll be fine if the repairer is any good.

You sticking with the RG3's :stickpoke

Cheers,
Al

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I cant remeber the name off hand but they are supposed to be the best engineers in the business of motorbikes, they're in Ferntree Gully. The Repair job was done by Moto one so im sure the clamps and forks are ok because they would have told me otherwise. Good to hear it should be fine after repair. There is a 3-4 week turn around with the frame as they are backed up with work so i guess i have to wait and see.

Thanks al

1 - 4 of 4 Posts