MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Super Moderator
22,071 Posts
How's your gear changes working ? That looks the crawler/guide pin end from a gear selector fork ?
Just guessing, I'm bored and tired of working on the new forum section.
Not sure if those are pressed into place though.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
22,071 Posts
Tip off the neutral switch maybe ? But doesn't look exactly like the switches I've seen..

joe
That was my first thought too Joe, I'm still going through the old brain banks at a Tramedol reduced pace. :ahhh:

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
That was my first thought too Joe, I'm still going through the old brain banks at a Tramedol reduced pace. :ahhh:
Heavy duty meds there Donsy..I would be out cold with Tramadol..a bit of Ibuprofen knocks me senseless !
Look after yourself mate :)

·
Super Moderator
22,321 Posts
Still on the Tramedol Dons!? Get away from it.....:blah::smoking:

·
Premium Member
2,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How's your gear changes working ? That looks the crawler/guide pin end from a gear selector fork ?
Just guessing, I'm bored and tired of working on the new forum section.
Not sure if those are pressed into place though.
A few months ago when it was still cold out I was in some tunnel traffic and had trouble getting out of first gear. This was after a day of riding and my arm was already tired and I do remember using some force to try and find neutral. I did get it into neutral in that episode by turning the bike off and stopping. I've since put about 3000 miles and haven't had any issues while riding since.

A few hundred miles ago I heard what sounded like a piece of metal near the top of the gas tank right as I restarted the bike.

I use my bike to commute to work every day. Should I ground her until I figure this out?

·
Super Moderator
22,071 Posts
Heavy duty meds there Donsy..I would be out cold with Tramadol..a bit of Ibuprofen knocks me senseless !
Look after yourself mate :)
Still on the Tramedol Dons!? Get away from it.....:blah::smoking:
Just kidding guys, no more Tramedol for me, first scan looks like the hooks are still all attached to the muscle. I take 2x PanaMax twice a day and that knocks me around terribly, I hate pain killers. :)

A few months ago when it was still cold out I was in some tunnel traffic and had trouble getting out of first gear. This was after a day of riding and my arm was already tired and I do remember using some force to try and find neutral. I did get it into neutral in that episode by turning the bike off and stopping. I've since put about 3000 miles and haven't had any issues while riding since.

A few hundred miles ago I heard what sounded like a piece of metal near the top of the gas tank right as I restarted the bike.

I use my bike to commute to work every day. Should I ground her until I figure this out?
It's a tough one Arthur, was there much other metal before you wiped everything clean?

·
Premium Member
2,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No Donsy, very little dust sized particles I'm used to seeing on all of my bikes.

·
Premium Member
2,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If it were a pin that you mentioned, would I be able to shift without pulling the clutch in?

·
Premium Member
2,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the help all. Bike is running fine but this worries me. Not really sure what to do. Looks like it could also be the end of this. The last two images are mine.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Here are pics with measurements. If anyone with engine parts lying around wouldn't mind helping me identify where this piece came from, I'd be greatly indebted.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,584 Posts
Well, at least it's out. Probably a good thing it caught the metallic oil drain plug and stayed out of the workings. It's a hard choice about grounding It or riding it since it runs w/o issue.

I would ride it. I feel there's always plenty of extra parts you can take off a motorcycle and still have it function perfectly well
:)

·
Registered
5,578 Posts
Art,

Ive had a close study of the manuals and the parts diagrams I can access,

Have a look at the Manual for your bike the gearbox section and have a look at the gear box pawl plungers.

It's guess work but your broken bit is hollow as if it would receive a spring.

http://shop.startwintrading.com/en/products/f4/new-folder-31/gear-selector-49

part number 24

joe
Good search Joe! The only thing I wonder if that part can actually reach the drainplug from where it is supposed to sit.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Good search Joe! The only thing I wonder if that part can actually reach the drainplug from where it is supposed to sit.
Yea good spotting. I see what you mean about reaching the drainplug.. but an easy check - whip that side cover off and take a gander :)

·
Registered
258 Posts
I am totally new to MVs' but from a motorcycle mechanics point of view it sure looks like the pin off a selector fork. If that were the case then catastrophe is but a nano second away in that if the fork moves it will select a gear when the other fork is still in a gear, result is lock up and lunched gearbox and you are off.
However, you say that the bike is still rideable so lets look at something else. As GoToJoe mentions, they are hollow, although very small hollow, 4mm?, to accept a spring. Where is the spring? I am lead to believe that MV gearboxes are readily accessible so I would be getting in there post haste.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts