MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have found the left fork seal is leaking via a pool of oil on the garage floor, most of which has already soaked in. The bike has been idle for approx 9 months. I contacted a local MV repair shop who indicated that one possible cause is the lack of use. Regardless of what the cause may be, the amount of oil on the floor is now such that I suspect that there will be an imbalance between the two legs.

My question is how difficult is it to change the fork seals yourself? I have a complete manual for the bike - all 474 pages of the thing, and am reasonably competent with a spanner. I have a quote for approx $250 for both legs which is not too bad providing I remove the forks. However, I figure if I am taking the legs out how much more work is it to just finish the entire job.

·
Administrator
19,855 Posts
May just be bug guts under the seal..and a small amount of oil makes a HUGE mess.....regardless, time for some maintenance.

Hardest part about the job is supporting the bike while you pull the forks. You may need special tools if you replace the seals, but you can fabricate your own from common junk if you are clever.

Go for it.

·
Super Moderator
22,071 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
both forks on my senna were leaking around the same time and my local bike shop replaced the seals. They actually went across the street to the Ducati dealership as they use the same seals (or at least seals that will work equally well). they charge for both was significantly less than $250. I am not that handy and I don't feel comfortable messing with forks to begin with. I would have a shop do it.

·
Registered
14,502 Posts
fork trick

spray PAM, you know the nonstick stuff for frying pans on the front side of the tubes.......old off road trick to keep mud from sticking.....they started with WD-40

:f4::brutale:

·
Registered
180 Posts
I have found the left fork seal is leaking via a pool of oil on the garage floor, most of which has already soaked in. The bike has been idle for approx 9 months. I contacted a local MV repair shop who indicated that one possible cause is the lack of use. Regardless of what the cause may be, the amount of oil on the floor is now such that I suspect that there will be an imbalance between the two legs.

My question is how difficult is it to change the fork seals yourself? I have a complete manual for the bike - all 474 pages of the thing, and am reasonably competent with a spanner. I have a quote for approx $250 for both legs which is not too bad providing I remove the forks. However, I figure if I am taking the legs out how much more work is it to just finish the entire job.
Ainsley,

changing fork seals is not particularly difficult, you may need to make a tool to push the new seals home.

Usually my problem is determining the correct fork oil level as there are often contradicting values (I note the manual lists 70mm with the spring spacer but not the spring for your bike), personally I like to set the level by height not volume. I always measure the oil level in each leg before I start and compare these measured values with my researched numbers, sometimes they differ radically. More oil equals stiffer forks - I won't go into the details, but changing the fork may make the bike feel strange afterwards.

A bigger problem may be sourcing the seals for 50mm stanchions, these will likely need to be an import.

If you have a problem, I should be able to help out

Andrew...

·
Super Moderator
22,071 Posts
Ainsley,

changing fork seals is not particularly difficult, you may need to make a tool to push the new seals home.

Usually my problem is determining the correct fork oil level as there are often contradicting values (I note the manual lists 70mm with the spring spacer but not the spring for your bike), personally I like to set the level by height not volume. I always measure the oil level in each leg before I start and compare these measured values with my researched numbers, sometimes they differ radically. More oil equals stiffer forks - I won't go into the details, but changing the fork may make the bike feel strange afterwards.

A bigger problem may be sourcing the seals for 50mm stanchions, these will likely need to be an import.

If you have a problem, I should be able to help out

Andrew...
You are same as me on measuring the level Andrew, he is lucky as only one seal is leaking so he can get a measument from the other leg.
BTW, more oil does not however make for stiffer forks, but makes the bike ride higher as the airgap is decreased. To get stiffer suspension you need stiffer springs.
The seals are off the shelf right here in Aus as per the link I posted near the top.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts