MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was not happy with the braking bit of my 1000S and personnally think the braking was not up to the high standard of the bike.
This got worst when I bought the Brutale R wich stand along side with the F4 with a big sacarstic smile on her face while checking the brakes of her mate in the garage. The F4 did nothing but avoid this conflit because the Brutale R Brakes were simply superior than the 1000S.
I thought to upgrade the 1000 S with radial brake.
Those are expensive so I admitted to upgrade buying an F4 1000 R or wait for the newcomer 1098.
Meantime I ordered new sets of pads from EBC.
Installed them last Friday and I just tell you guys this is a complete turn around. Listen this simple upgrade just puts the 1000S braking at such a high level that is unthinkable at first. The bit is imediate, its strong as hell and progressive.
More? Its enough.
Cost wise? Cheap.

Those of you who arent happy please change pads.
I used EBC Fa249HH but there are other pads there in the market.

Now I have an almost perfect bike.
No more sarcastic smiles in the garage.

·
Registered
798 Posts
psst!!!... said:
I was not happy with the braking bit of my 1000S and personnally think the braking was not up to the high standard of the bike.
This got worst when I bought the Brutale R wich stand along side with the F4 with a big sacarstic smile on her face while checking the brakes of her mate in the garage. The F4 did nothing but avoid this conflit because the Brutale R Brakes were simply superior than the 1000S.
Those are expensive so I admitted to upgrade buying an F4 1000 R or wait for the newcomer 1098.
Meantime I ordered new sets of pads from EBC.
Installed them last Friday and I just tell you guys this is a complete turn around. Listen this simple upgrade just puts the 1000S braking at such a high level that is unthinkable at first. The bit is imediate, its strong as hell and progressive.
More? Its enough.
Cost wise? Cheap.

Those of you who arent happy please change pads.
I used EBC Fa249HH but there are other pads there in the market.

Now I have an almost perfect bike.
No more sarcastic smiles in the garage.
Well, this is great news. I think the brakes on my Brutale 910s suck. They are much better than when the bike was new, but that is expected. I was also contemplating the Brembo radial upgrade. But I will try this first. I also plan on installing steel brake lines.

·
Registered
281 Posts
anucci said:
I also plan on installing steel brake lines.
Hmm, I thought that the stock lines weere braided steel? Perhaps I should look closer?

I have noticed some grippy nature of mine, lately. Brakes are fine but at slow speed I sense that they are not smooth... I need to check my pads - only 5400 miles....

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
Hehehe, good move, Manuel :)

From where did you order the pads?
And did you also change the break fluid or just the pads?

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I have Vesrah pads on my bike. And they work great, for a time.

I resurface my rotors with a flex hone tool, and the brakes work really great for a short period of time after that. So I do agree that new pads can work.

From research and very limited direct experience (ie, I don't have a direct comparison here), stainless rotors are not so good for braking.

Apparently cast stainless can be OK (not sure what the MV rotors are).

The later MVs with radial brakes have Brembo rotors, and I assume the are cast stainless?

Replacing rotors on older MVs with the 6 piston Nissins should be all that is needed for race bike style braking. That and some good pads.

I keep meaning to get some Braketech ductile iron rotors for the MV, but I got lots of other stuff to spend $$ on before that. But my stock rotors are toast. They are discolored permanently. I guess this is what braking from about 155 down to 50, downhill at Road America does...

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
None of my bikes ever leave the dealership without EBC pads.

Initial bite is the best in the business but the only downside is that they fade quick and you won't get any real mileage out of them. But my 1000S only has 1,100 miles on it from this whole season.

·
Registered
8,920 Posts
SteveC said:
Hmm, I thought that the stock lines weere braided steel? Perhaps I should look closer?

I have noticed some grippy nature of mine, lately. Brakes are fine but at slow speed I sense that they are not smooth... I need to check my pads - only 5400 miles....
Mine broke in nicely too, I love the progressive feel. And the lines are braided steel.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice to ear that turbo329.
Tiago I ordered from the importer through my Quad mechanic and this pads are cheap, actually a friend who also has an f4 1000s tried mine and was amazed, alredy ordered pads inded!!!
Didnt change he brake fluid, just the pads and I assure you you dont need more to be on the radial level. It seems to be truth the 3 piston caliper is up to the brembo performance.

·
Registered
798 Posts
fazer6 said:
Mine broke in nicely too, I love the progressive feel. And the lines are braided steel.

My bad. I didn't think they were braided steel. I had regular (non radial) brakes on my Monster S4R, and they were phenominal compared to the Nissin.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Dont forget to beadblast or scotchbrite you rotors prior to installing new pads.

I've never cared for EBC. Just a personal thing, but they have never felt right for my braking style.

·
Registered
338 Posts
psst!!!... said:
Curious, did you actually cost these out with the dealer?

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Notto said:
Dont forget to beadblast or scotchbrite you rotors prior to installing new pads.

I've never cared for EBC. Just a personal thing, but they have never felt right for my braking style.
What I use:

http://www.braketech.com/cgi-bin/search.pl?conditions=Make,Part_Group&Part_Group=maintenance&partialmatch=1&template=maintenance&sortby=Make,Models

Works pretty good, it puts a nice pattern on the discs. Only problem is you have to take the discs off and flip them over to get to the inside. Not a huge deal though.

·
Registered
237 Posts
lewdog998 said:
any impressions from those that have changed to a radial master cylinder?
I went to a Brembo Radial in mine. Made a huge difference. I really have no complaints with the calipers at all anymore. I think its the best money you can spend on an S right out of the box.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Still Nissin

lewdog998 said:
any impressions from those that have changed to a radial master cylinder?
The master cylinders on the Brenbo radial equipped 1000R utilize the same Nissins that come on the 1000S. The first thing to so is exactly what was mentioned here already: install a set of EBC "HH" pads and you will get an immediate gain in braking performance. I used these pads for years while racing and in my opinion are the best out there. The definitive answer to the 1000S brakes is to replace the Nissin master cylinder with Brembo. I am told by a reliable source that this dramatically transforms the brakes to easily match the abilities of the Brembo radial-mounted brakes on the R models. I plan to perform this upgrade on my F4 1000S and will let you know the results.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
exduc said:
The definitive answer to the 1000S brakes is to replace the Nissin master cylinder with Brembo. I am told by a reliable source that this dramatically transforms the brakes to easily match the abilities of the Brembo radial-mounted brakes on the R models. I plan to perform this upgrade on my F4 1000S and will let you know the results.
I also think that changing the master cylinder plays a bigger role than changing the calipers so if I wouldnt be happy as I am now with the braking performance and wanted to keep with the 1000S I would definetly move into that direction, leaving the calipers and changing the master cylinder to a brembo radial. The only thing is we loose the brake fluid depo that was designed for these bikes but...

But as I told you before I am pretty sattisfied with this simple change of pads.

By instance the nissins with this pads are far away superior to the S4R braking.

When I looked for radial branking (master cyli. + radial calipers + radial mounting + labor) I got different costs but above £1550.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I love my F4 but every time I go back on my Ducati 748, I almost do an endo at the first hard stop. The difference in braking on the Brembo's is night and day!

But I think Enso Ferrari said it best when asked about the brakes failing on two of his race cars... "I designed the cars to go FAST, not to stop."

·
Registered
259 Posts
LOVE the 1000R, but have to admit the braking leaves something to be desired. Master cyl. is worth every penny - replace and rejoice!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts