MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Topic says it. Someone is wondering where the sticker is, any ideas?

-Alvin

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BTW if you are wondering why i asked, I saw this ad on craigslist:

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/mcy/303906013.html

"I bought this a few months ago from the original owner in CO, didn't realize you need 7500 miles on a bike to register it in CA. I put on the extras, put about 500 miles on the bike, and I'm trying to sell without taking too big a loss."

I e-mailed him saying he doesn't need to do the 7500 mile rule since its a 50 state bike. He replied with:

"Are you sure?"

So i've sent him the pictures. Hopefully he keeps it..

·
Registered
431 Posts
I'm pretty sure the 7500 is about controling tax dollars and not emissions. He might be better off doing a temporary speedo swap with one of us with more miles on the bike.

I'm still (unfortunately) way under 7500 so can't help.

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The point is, 7500 miles is only if you have a 49 state bike... MVs are 50. He's fine and he didn't know it! Waiting on an update

·
Registered
431 Posts
Ahh...I just looked it up and see where I was confused.

"California law considers any vehicle with less than 7,500 miles on the odometer when acquired by a California resident or business to be a new vehicle."

So, if it's under 7500 it is a new vehicle and must pass CA certification. If it's over 7500 it's a used vehicle so it doesn't matter anymore.

The biggest problem I see this guy having is that he may not have a qualified reason for importing a "new" vehicle. According to the DMV he must meet one of the following criteria:

Obtained it as part of a divorce or inheritance settlement.
Purchased it to replace a vehicle stolen while you were using it out of state.
Purchased it to replace a vehicle which was destroyed or made inoperative beyond reasonable repair while you were using it out of state.
Were on active military duty outside California, and you registered the vehicle in the state of your last military service.

I still think the best thing would be to get the odometer reading up high enough to not have t worry about it. Maybe he'd let me ride it to 7500 miles? ;-)

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You have it mixed up again. You qualify for registering a 49 state vehicle if you pass one of the 4 on the list.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Which is exactly what I said. I'm guessing he doesn't pass any of the four. I think we may be wasting bandwidth here. Someone should just make him a lowball offer and pick up a spare bike. :)

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wait a second. All vehicles under 7500 miles are considered "new". You cannot register a vehicle under 7500 miles if it does not pass california emissions.

We both agree on that. However:

The brutale DOES pass emissions, so you can register it fine.

If the vehicle does NOT pass emissions, the only way you can get around it is by passing the 4 items on the criteria. He doesn't need to worry about that because its a 50 state bike!

·
Registered
38 Posts
my friend registered his mv with only 200+ miles in so cal and is no problem at all but he told me becuase some help so he doesnt need to change cluster

1 - 12 of 12 Posts