MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I went out and found a flat in the rear this morning. In all the years I've been lucky never to get a flat until now. Can I just plug it air it up and go? I know patching it from the inside would be better but I'm about 36 miles from the dealer. :banghead:

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
Ive plugged it with no problems in the past. I still carry a plug kit with me till this day. If the tire is new, plug it, get it to the dealer, and have them remove the plug and patch it fromt he inside. But I put 5000 miles on a rear tire that was plugged and it never lost any air.

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
So I went out and found a flat in the rear this morning. In all the years I've been lucky never to get a flat until now. Can I just plug it air it up and go? I know patching it from the inside would be better but I'm about 36 miles from the dealer. :banghead:

I'll take your bad luck....My flat came on a bend..in a tubed tyre..ie instant deflation.wobble..pinching the buttons off the seat as the bike zig zags across the road....lucky for me nothing else was coming the other way as the road was a narrow English lane.

As far as plugging tubeless tyres goes..It works for sure. Some tyre manufacturers won't allow plugging so in an extreme situation you might find that your insurance is void. I know it's all money..and I have plugged a Hayabusa tyre in the past..but now I'm not so sure...There are only two wheels and a tiny contact area being pulled and tugged by road and reaction forces..

That little contact area is all you got and I'm not so sure it's a good idea to trade it for $ 200.00 tyre...

joe

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
Use the plug only to enable you to take an easy ride to your dealer, to get your tire fixed professionally or replaced.

I rode to my dealer once (some 30 mls, motorway included) on a softening rear (on a Speed Triple); that was pretty scary , and recently home on a very slowly softening rear (on my 1078RR), and then after having put pressure in it again to see how it would hold up, to my dealer 80 mls away. That was nothing special; turned out to be a leaking valve.

Take care!

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
Use the plug only to enable you to take an easy ride to your dealer, to get your tire fixed professionally or replaced.

I rode to my dealer once (some 30 mls, motorway included) on a softening rear (on a Speed Triple); that was pretty scary , and recently home on a very slowly softening rear (on my 1078RR), and then after having put pressure in it again to see how it would hold up, to my dealer 80 mls away. That was nothing special; turned out to be a leaking valve.

Take care!

Mike I thought he meant a professionally fitted plug....ie a permanent fix.

As we know there is alot of technology in a motorcycle tyre and these bikes push the tyres to the edge. It's a personal choice but riders need to be aware of what the manufacturers have to say and make an informed decision.
cheers
joe

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
I'd plug it and ride carefully to the tyre shop and put a new tyre on. Why risk a high performance motorcycle and your life for the price of a tyre. If it was a car tyre I'd plug it and forget about it until the tread was worn away but not a motorbike. Just my 2c of course.

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
Mike I thought he meant a professionally fitted plug....ie a permanent fix.

As we know there is alot of technology in a motorcycle tyre and these bikes push the tyres to the edge. It's a personal choice but riders need to be aware of what the manufacturers have to say and make an informed decision.
cheers
joe
Read the OP's original post. He's got a plug and his dealer is some way off. He suggested doing it himself, hence my advice.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just plugged the tire and will take it to the dealer this week to get a patch put in. Do you normally have to expect a tire replacement after a puncture? Thanks for the inputs everyone.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
I just plugged the tire and will take it to the dealer this week to get a patch put in. Do you normally have to expect a tire replacement after a puncture? Thanks for the inputs everyone.
If I were in your shoes I wouldn't have a repaired tire on my bike. You've already damaged the harness. Now if it was a cruiser that hardly does 50 mls/h but it's a sports bike. Will you trust your life @ 150+ mls/h to a repaired tire while a new one is o so affordable?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I agree but I'm not planning on 150mph anytime soon. I'm sitting at 334 miles on the odometer still in the break in stage.

·
Registered
14,501 Posts
flats?

been riding for 56 years, only 2 flats, both on tubeless tires.....1 in my workshop!
plugged them both with the string plugs

on my R1150GS, the tires almost always have plugs in them......they're free take offs:naughty:

haven't ever had any trouble with plugs bikes/cars :drummer:

:f4::brutale:

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
Read the OP's original post. He's got a plug and his dealer is some way off. He suggested doing it himself, hence my advice.

Now I feel deflated Mike ; / I guess it got lost in the translation.
However, It is an important area to consider carefully as he is talking of a patch on the inside of the tyre as a long term repair. When my tyre supplier does this there is a disclaimer and this is because most manufacturers don't recommend tyre repairs to tyres for sports bikes. British Standard for repairs to motorcycle tyres does not allow Z rated tyres to have punctures repaired..at all.

Yes I take your point on the temporary repair at the road side to get you home and that was the question he was asking. If my F4 gets a flat in the garage and I find a nail in it, I'll take the wheel off at home pop it in the car and off to the tyre shop for a new one. If I was stuck out in the middle of the Brecon Beacons I'd call Carole Nash recovery.

Its the riders call on a temporary plug. I can tell you from very recent experience of my own that even at low speeds a rapid deflation is very difficult to handle. Mine went on a bend at about 25mph rear wheel and I ended up against the kerb on the wrong side of the road in seconds.

joe

·
Registered
879 Posts
Free for me, please.

For you-all who replace your tires after temporarily plugging it, please let me know where you're leaving the removed tire. I would love to have them for track days. And yes, I will pay for the shipping.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts