MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to fix a carbon rear hugger to the f4 swinging are.. i can see the holes/poppets.. but there are no threads in the holes.. how do you connect the hugger to the swinging are.. pop rivett ??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
yes, that's right they are rubber wellnuts (a bigger version of what you see on the windshield mounting bolts. On my F4's swingarm, there were no holes (and I'm not drilling into the stressed parts) so I just used industrial-strength doublestick tape and it works great. See my f4 in the registry for pics.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,125 Posts
Same here. Mine had the holes, but I had to find the right anchors and screws to fit. What gets interesting is the decision put it in with the rear wheel on or off? :crazyeyes
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Paul Kelly said:
Same here. Mine had the holes, but I had to find the right anchors and screws to fit. What gets interesting is the decision put it in with the rear wheel on or off? :crazyeyes

Lol.. thanks guys.. well nuts ordered... yep i'll try to take the wheel of .. ;-)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
358 Posts
Rather than using well nuts, wouldn't it make more sense to just run an appropriately sized tap into the existng holes, then put the screws directly into the swingarm? Is there an advantage to using well nuts that I'm not aware of?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
falcopilot said:
Rather than using well nuts, wouldn't it make more sense to just run an appropriately sized tap into the existng holes, then put the screws directly into the swingarm? Is there an advantage to using well nuts that I'm not aware of?

Yep... you dont have to buy a tap !!! ;-) and knowing me.. i'd mess it up big time ...!! with "well nuts" no mess and quick and easy ...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,193 Posts
falcopilot said:
Rather than using well nuts, wouldn't it make more sense to just run an appropriately sized tap into the existng holes, then put the screws directly into the swingarm? Is there an advantage to using well nuts that I'm not aware of?
I don't think there is an advantage to using wellnuts, you just end up with 3 massive holes! mine being quite an early 1000 didn't have any holes there, I just drilled and tapped 5mm I think, then put some "penny" washers under the bolt heads, been fitted over 2 years now............. :later:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
The wellnuts are rubberized nuts - so you get a bit of shock protection or vibration damping...as opposed to tapping and screwing in directly. Probably makes no difference.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
mikef4uk said:
I don't think there is an advantage to using wellnuts, you just end up with 3 massive holes! mine being quite an early 1000 didn't have any holes there, I just drilled and tapped 5mm I think, then put some "penny" washers under the bolt heads, been fitted over 2 years now............. :later:
Well as the holes are already there on the 06 f4/1000 , i just got 3 wellnuts of the same hole size. pop them in , then just screwed the hugger to the swingarm.. easypeasy..!!! ;-) Sorted..!! :yo:
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top