MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently bough some carbon fiber pieces on e-bay. It is not clear to me how one changes out the side air intake covers. It would appear that the fuel tank needs to be removed, but it is not clear how one does that either.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I did this on my 06 910S. You don't have to remove the tank, but you do have to loosen it up enough to lift it at the front. There are some side mounts that do need to be removed to accomplish this. Best to have someone help you hold the tank up while you unscrew the pieces from the back. Should take about 20 minutes total.

Phil

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
its a brutale, it really doesnt matter....just tape them on with some duct tape.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As duct tape doesn't hold well in high humidity...need to do it correctly. Can someone provide more specific instructions on removing/loosening the tank?

Thanks.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I'm currently in the process of installing lots of CF pieces, along with a new MV full Ti exhaust. As part of the new full exhaust I had to replace the stock ECU, which involves removing the fuel tank. I just today put the new intake covers on the tank, and as I already had to remove the tank anyway, it was a very easy install.

There is just one bolt holding the tank in place, remove the rear pillion, and then the seat, easy to remove by the way. Then you'll see the tank retaining bolt, once it's removed, remove the covers below the tank, pull the rear out and then the front portion will slide out towards the rear...then you can lift the tank (it's easier to have someone hold the tank, heavy with fuel) while you disconnect the fuel lines and electrical connection for the fuel pump. With another person you can have it off in ten minutes.

The CF intake covers look really nice by the way!

·
Administrator
20,060 Posts
remove key guard. remove side frame covers. remove seats. remove allen screw attaching rear of tank to frame. remove 8mm head bolts (6mm thread) and allen head frame cover mounts securing the tank braces on either side of tank. Tank will now be loose and can be lifted up. Do not pull excessively hard on the attached fuel hoses. Best too reach under tank, disconnect fuel pump electric plug, vent/drain hoses and fuel hoses so you can completely remove the tank.

The air inlets are secured with 3 small allen screws apiece.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
any thoughts on replacing the fuel quick disconnects with metal ones ?
Difficult to do, as the hard inner lining (possibly PVC?) isn't very pliable. It is possible, though. Just be sure --- if you do it -- to do it with the CPC Brand fitting (from Omega), not the cheap-o eBay units that do not have the fuel shut-off valve built into the fitting.

I was at the MV factory last week and addressed this issue with an engineer there. His thought was that the fuel lines shouldn't be tampered with at all. If a fitting cracks, MV recommends replacement of the fuel line unit. FWIW, MV doesn't assemble or manufacture those fuel lines themselves -- they are outsourced and received as complete units from their supplier.

·
Administrator
20,060 Posts
Using due care in handling, you should have no problems with the plastic ones. I have had the tank on and off many times with no problems....that being said, I'll probably break one the next time. Murphy's Law.

·
Registered
322 Posts
remove key guard. remove side frame covers. remove seats. remove allen screw attaching rear of tank to frame. remove 8mm head bolts (6mm thread) and allen head frame cover mounts securing the tank braces on either side of tank. Tank will now be loose and can be lifted up. Do not pull excessively hard on the attached fuel hoses. Best oto reach under tan, disconnect fuel pump electric plug, vent/drain hoses and fuel hoses so you can completely remove the tank.

The air inlets are secured with 3 small allen screws apiece.

Good luck.
Thanks, I forgot a couple steps, namely the key guard and the tank braces...seeing as how I don't have a shop manual, this was kind of trial and error, the key guard was obvious, but the tank braces for me were not...

·
Not very lucky..
1,431 Posts
I also put just a drop of loctite on the intake cover bolts because mine would always come loose
ever since the loctite they don't loosen up and fall out :conveyer:

·
Registered
5,076 Posts
Do NOT screw around with the fuel lines and quick disconnects. The fuel line is so hard that it is impossible to get the fitting into the hose, either stock or aftermarket. Those fuel lines are $120.00 ea and if you dick with them you have to replace the whole line. Leave them the f--- alone.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
As duct tape doesn't hold well in high humidity...need to do it correctly. Can someone provide more specific instructions on removing/loosening the tank?

Thanks.

your right...I dont know what i was thinking...they make special Brutie tape.....I found some on the net for you.........Randy will send you some of his if you dont want a whole roll.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts