MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

First things first - I searched for this but couldn't find a result specific to my situation...

So, I recently fitted a slip on from Fresco. Amazing quality, no problems with fitment.

No problems on the first 30 mile ride, then I returned home and fitted the insert that goes into the main silencer as the exhaust was too loud for me, and once again refitted the exhaust.

On the next day's ride the lambda sensor error came up. Bike still seems to ride as normal, I think, so not sure what's going on here. I've checked the sensor and plug and all seems fine there.

I didn't touch it at any point during installation, nor was I heavy handed with getting the exhaust on, so I can't imagine I disturbed the sensor in any way.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Nick

·
Administrator
19,837 Posts
It is possible the sensor overheated with the new silencer, and is damaged. The ECU is not seeing the signal being generated that it needs.

You could try a new o2 sensor....they are all basically the same construction/function. Buy an auto part and splice your connector to it.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. The sensor is fixed to the header downpipe, so how would changing the silencer affect this? Surely the sensor wouldn't know what was happening downstream of its location in the header?

·
Administrator
19,837 Posts
Yes it can..... exhaust system back pressures have been changed. From exhaust port all the way down.

Anyway, If the sensor connection/wiring is good, and the heated side is getting its supply voltage and ground, and you have a fault code for the sensor....then the generated +/-1 volt signal is not being read by the ECU.

·
Administrator
19,837 Posts
Don't know that the new exhaust did...but that is the only thing you changed.

Take your sensor out and carry it to an auto parts store. You may need to splice your connector onto what ever you find. It is a narrow band heated oxygen sensor. Buy a Bosch brand.

·
Administrator
19,837 Posts
Thanks, so any kind of Bosch heated sensor will do, as long as it fits?
I'm not going to guarantee it, but they all work the same way. The big difference is usually in the wiring connectors. Sometimes the length of the part that goes into the bung on the pipe. That needs to match.

·
Registered
464 Posts
The organ grinder parable

I'm not going to guarantee it, but they all work the same way. The big difference is usually in the wiring connectors...
The "universal" Bosch Lambda Sensor :nerd2:
This one for instance

works fine on almost all cars but might not be an easy fit.
And costs around $44.

OTOH
the vanilla MV Agusta Brutale 800 O2 Oxygen Sensor 8A00B9339 LAMBDA DELPHI FEELER sells for about $44.

I would go back to the stock exhaust.
Confirm that the OEM sensor is truly cooked.

Then shell my $44 on a new plug&cook MV compatible Delphi part.

Same cause, effect :grin2: and all that.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm not going to guarantee it, but they all work the same way. The big difference is usually in the wiring connectors...
The "universal" Bosch Lambda Sensor

This one for instance

works fine on almost all cars but might not be an easy fit.
And costs around $44.

OTOH
the vanilla MV Agusta Brutale 800 O2 Oxygen Sensor 8A00B9339 LAMBDA DELPHI FEELER sells for about $44.

I would go back to the stock exhaust.
Confirm that the OEM sensor is truly cooked.

Then shell my $44 on a new plug&cook MV compatible Delphi part.

Same cause, effect
and all that.
How is that only $44 when mv are charging £180 (!!!!!) for the same part??

·
Registered
464 Posts
Caveat emptor

Clicked on the ref number and flagged the cheapest part.

Some are more expensive than others. Like the "...low mileage, tested, works!"
The original is a Delphi part, any el cheapo Delphi part could be a good choice.

£180 ? At least Dick Turpin wore a mask

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

The original is a Delphi part, any el cheapo Delphi part could be a good choice.

?

Thanks for pointing that one out, I somehow missed it.

I've actually stuffed a load of dialectrical grease into the connector to see if that has any effect.

Not having much luck with this bike so far! My last bike was a 10 year old multistrada, and the only problem in two years was a couple of blown bulbs!!

·
Registered
868 Posts

The original part sold by MV is about 225€ TTC: https://www.pieces-mv.com/mvagusta-moto/affectation_pieces_detachees/8A00B9339
The part is used for all the bikes. The price include not only the part price abut also the premium margin for the MV name on the box :-D
Any universal O2 sensor should work, as long as you are able to wire it properly. (hint: the connector is a superseal connector with 4 pins)

·
Registered
465 Posts
It's the same for all OEM parts, not just MV. It's just a dealer thing.

Ducati tried to bill me £30 +VAT per rose joint for my M600 suspension, I went to the local bearing suppliers who said "they're ok, not the best quality though, you want these ones". The ones they gave me were easily better quality and £9 each.

BMW wanted £800+VAT for a water pump, there's only one company that make the N52 pump, I got it for £300.

Anyhow on topic, get the fault code read first, if it a looks ok, remove it and see what happens. My old Elise threw a code when I changed the exhaust, removed it and it never came back. Same with my BMW. I'd do the tests before replacing.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That's my train of thought right now - the bike seems to be running fine, so I wonder if the improved air flow is perhaps fooling the sensor into thinking something is wrong with the exhaust. I'll take it off this weekend and visually inspect it. The only issue with the code reading is my nearest dealer is about 1.5 hours ride, so it's not that convenient to do.

OT, I noticed the gas position error has come back on the last couple of rides (I thought my greasing the connector had sorted this). Again, turn off, turn on and all fine.

Loving these little electrical gremlins...

·
Administrator
19,837 Posts
Because MV buys small quantities and puts their label on it and need to make a profit. Same with any part out there, and any manufacturer.

With any part, if you can buy from a step or 2 lower in the supply chain the price is halved.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Having done a little research it appears the thread size is 12mm (as apposed to the four cylinder bikes which use a 18mm thread) so I wonder how easy it will be to find a sensor using a thread this small? I've emailed the UK arm of Delphi to see if they can help with sourcing a sensor without having to go the MV route.

·
Administrator
19,837 Posts
Just take it out and go visit your local auto parts supplier.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts