MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I purchased a rear hugger (CF) as I was well and truly over cleaning the underneath of my bike constantly. It came pre-drilled with 3 holes in various locations but looking at my rear swing arm, there are no pre drilled holes???

I received no fitting instructions either and am curious as to how this item would install???

It said that it fitted brutale and F4's any ideas or advise would be largely appreciated.

Mick

·
Super Moderator
22,501 Posts
What year F4? The holes are usually covered with black plastic plug type covers. There should be three in, essentially, an inverted "L" pattern. remove the rear wheel, remove the plugs, insert the appropriate well-nuts, position the hugger and tighten the round head hex bolts that you go to match the well-nuts you bought.....

·
Vendor
5,373 Posts
I was sure there was dimples in the swingarm for drilling of the holes.If I am wrong you will have to remove the rear wheel,position the hugger and centre punch where the holes have to be drilled.I would personally drill and tap those holes rather than using Well Nuts,it will be more secure and a smaller hole is required.Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
22,501 Posts
Mitch has a good point as that would certainly be more secure; but, my 2007 312R had the holes, unthreaded, with well-nuts already there.

·
Registered
14,534 Posts
Mitch;
I have swing arms;
with no holes
with drilled and tapped holes
and with wellnuts installed

I think it was a model year thing starting around '05 for holes

·
Premium Member
2,902 Posts
To add, my early year 05 had no holes. Other 05's, I've read, came with pre-drilled holes from the factory. You're gonna have to drill em yourself. :)

·
Vendor
5,373 Posts
What year F4? The holes are usually covered with black plastic plug type covers. There should be three in, essentially, an inverted "L" pattern. remove the rear wheel, remove the plugs, insert the appropriate well-nuts, position the hugger and tighten the round head hex bolts that you go to match the well-nuts you bought.....
Sorry Chuck,your post must have sneaked in while I was typing,otherwise I would not have commented.I think he gets the idea by now.:)

·
Super Moderator
22,501 Posts
No worries, Mitch.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mine is an EVO 2 750 and there is no holes in my swing arm. I am wondering though, if you drill holes into the frame does it make it structurally weak? And are you guys suggesting riv nuts instead of well nuts?

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
If you drill and tap be sure to use some anti-seize on the fixing bolts so you can get the suckers out next time..
I'm ok with the well nuts in this location as they absorb vibrations and less chance " maybe" of work hardening those little bolts and having them snap off in the holes...

joe

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
Huh ?

Mine is an EVO 2 750 and there is no holes in my swing arm. I am wondering though, if you drill holes into the frame does it make it structurally weak? And are you guys suggesting riv nuts instead of well nuts?
If all the later models are drilled, it should be fine mate, I had to drill one of my swing-arms, as far as the structure goes.

I didn't see anybody suggest riv-nuts, but I use them on the swing-arm that was pre-drilled. On the swing-arm I had to drill myself, I just drilled and tapped to the size I needed, and I put silicone on the bolt thread to help with keeping it in, and still make it easy to remove.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
Good suggestion Dons!

·
Administrator
20,100 Posts
My genuine MV Corse hugger came with specific instructions for drilling the early model swing arms and the well nuts with screws to be used. My 910R was pre-drilled with plastic caps. The well nuts have been in ever since and never a problem (I do check the screws for tightness anytime the wheel is off).

I can probably find those instructions and scan them for you if your want.

·
Registered
14,534 Posts
I'm ok with the well nuts in this location as they absorb vibrations and less chance " maybe" of work hardening those little bolts and having them snap off in the holes...

joe
Joe;
steel work hardens at the speed of a glacier......now aluminum on the other hand.....

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Esq'z me if you can scan in instructions that would be great!!! I will attend to the install once I check it out and decide what parts to use.

·
Administrator
20,100 Posts
Esq'z me if you can scan in instructions that would be great!!! I will attend to the install once I check it out and decide what parts to use.
Found them. I was delivered a poor photocopy in the package, with Italian and English instruction. Both with poor quality photos and crooked pages. I scanned just the English version....here it is:

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts