MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Brutale 910R is ready for its 600mi first service. Do I have to have it done at the dealer to preserve the warranty and/or avoid warranty issues, or can an independent service shop do the work.

I haven't checked yet, but I suspect that it will be far less expensive to have an independent do the work.

Any info or suggestions would be appreciated.

tim

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
My dealer told me the valves did NOT need to be checked. They advised that they would check them if I wanted, but it would be a "waste of money" as they have never had to adjust one at 600 mi.
I asked the Service manager if them not adjusting the valves would void my warranty, and he advised it would not. He further stated a MV rep had told them that the valve adjust was going to be taken out of the 600 mile service interval in the near future.
With any bike I would advise having the dealer perform the first service.

·
Registered
119 Posts
No one within 300 miles of me is certified to perform service maintenance on my Brutale. I took my first bike in to the nearest Ducati/Agusta Dealer in Washington State for its first service. All the valves were in spec. They changed the oil and filter and attempted to set the co and screwed it up so bad that it was stalling nearly every time I let off the gas. I had to take it back to them a week later to correct the problem. I still don’t think it ran as good as before I took in to them. The shop was in the process of obtaining service credentials from Agusta. My guess is that my bike was the first one they had ever opened up. Cost was almost $600.00

When I bought my new Brutale from Post Falls Idaho I mentioned my experience with the dealer in Seattle. The General Manager told me to change the oil and filter myself. Check tightness of nuts and bolts and not to worry about the valves because he had never seen one that needed adjusting after 600 miles. He told me to bring it back to them after I have around 8,000 miles on it and they’ll check the valves and do a complete service.
I did my first oil change. (100% synthetic) and K&N filter for around $55.00 total. It was simple and finished in less than an hour.
Most service intervals are conservative estimates and when the dealership I bought the bike from tells me they have never seen valves needing adjustment at 6oo miles, that’s all I needed to know. I checked the bike over closely and everything looked fine. Best of all it runs as good or better as the day I rode it.

Take it for what it’s worth. I’m not advocating one position or the other, it’s your money. But I have a real problem spending $600.00 on anything after such a short time of use.

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
If the valve's are off spec, you would think that would be the factories fault and covered under warranty, right. But I know it's not. :jerkoff:

Also, I have a feeling that minus the valve inspection, the first service really is just an oil/filter change - and an eyeball inspection to make sure all's okay.

·
Registered
417 Posts
As ive said before i found out that the `valve check` was in fact done by comprression test and not with feelers,i had a massive argument with the workshop manager ( my dealer is allso the importer) iam in the motor trade but lorrys is my game, but i know about engines and this is bullshit saying they check valves like this is correct,but they do say that no 910 has ever had to be ajusted, but by checking like this none will?

·
Registered
304 Posts
after my first service, I received a spec sheet with valve clearances for each valve listed. service manager told me that everything was checked and adjusted. Aircanister was also removed.

all I can say is that my throtle responce is just fine now. whith none of that on and off switching.

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
When you buy a vehicle you have to include the first service in your budget or you get it for free from the dealer. Sure $600 is prety expensive. In Kuwait it cost about $300 but the people are still complaining... :jsm:
The first service is something serious and not a simple oil&filter change. It is a major inspection. The target of a FIRST INSPECTION is to inspect the bike, to be sure that all is right and this include the valves as well as the steering bearings, etc...
It is better to me, to save money by doing the 6000kms service yourself and the first inspection from the dealer.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I agree with having the first service completed by a competent MV mechanic, I was lucky in that I was able to hang out in the workshop when my service was done, many checks were done and adjustments carried out. Well worth the 4 hours labour and the insight from the mechanic was priceless

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts
the other thing is my brutale is the my dealer is NEW to the MV world..... and the 2 techs who worked on my bike (and have worked in that shop for 6 years on my BMWs and the ducatis as well.... had just gotten back from "MV TECH SCHOOL" in Pennsylvania... the day before they began wrenching my bike..... so, i had the UTMOST confidence in their abilities at that point (as i always do.... they are a terrific shop)

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 14 of 14 Posts