MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone had this before? Just got my bike back from its first service, (f41000) and the mechanic told me that the cam on the exhaust port side had excessive wear . It wasnt critical but he said that its odd to see any wear on a bike of this mileage. (700) Anyone know why such wear should occur? manufacturing fault do you think?
cheers

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
MV05 EXY said:
Anyone had this before? Just got my bike back from its first service, (f41000) and the mechanic told me that the cam on the exhaust port side had excessive wear . It wasnt critical but he said that its odd to see any wear on a bike of this mileage. (700) Anyone know why such wear should occur? manufacturing fault do you think?
cheers
MV have had an on/off history of cam problems, James's faq page will show you some pics of what MV deem as acceptable, not much use if you didnt see it yourself though, personally if it was mine with any cam marks I would be wanting a new one.

Why didn't he just put in a warranty claim for you anyway?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
mikef4uk said:
Why didn't he just put in a warranty claim for you anyway?
Bingo.

If he claims it's so bad, then fix it for christ's sake. Why wouldn't he? You can't go on if the cam is eating itself up!

The answer to these types of questions is what gives me pause to buying a new MV.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for all your replys, and thanks for the link spalding12. I bought the bike from DK motorcycles as an import, so it has a DK warranty. DK dont have the best track record for servicing and repair work, a quick search in google shows that. I took it to my local MV Agusta dealer, the guy i would imagine has worked on loads, hes a fairly old chap (55) and seemed to know what he was talking about, I could of course be wrong and he be a total spanner with a spanner. However, I would have thought that if it was that bad I would have gotten a phone call at least to give me the option of replacing/leaving it. Especially as its half a days work to get to.
Not sure what to do now, I guess a phone call to DK motorcyles is in order to see what they want me to do.

Thanks again for your input, very valuable.

Rich

·
Registered
503 Posts
Excessive wear on a cam is ALWAYS bad. Excessive implies that the surface hardening has worn away. Once that happens, wear accelerates and you have a flat cam. These things don't heal. I'd quiz the mech a little more, what constitutes excessive cam wear in his eyes? Is he saying that because he found excessive clearance or is there visual wear?

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
It may have to do with the first runin? I was told when they put new cams (among other things) in my Porsche to not let it drop to idle as the cams have to breakin and not flake. This was performed at the shop that did the rebuild. This i only know from what i rember them telling me.

·
Registered
822 Posts
acruhl said:
Bingo.

If he claims it's so bad, then fix it for christ's sake. Why wouldn't he? You can't go on if the cam is eating itself up!
I couldnt agree more, this needs to be warrantied without a question. Sounds to me like the tech is either inexperienced or just plain lazy, bring this info to the dealer principle and serice dept manager.

Whoops, i just read your earlier reply. Bottom line, the bike is still under warranty, and the camshaft should be replaced if its worn, its not going to heal itself.

·
Registered
503 Posts
cdamb said:
It may have to do with the first runin? I was told when they put new cams (among other things) in my Porsche to not let it drop to idle as the cams have to breakin and not flake. This was performed at the shop that did the rebuild. This i only know from what i rember them telling me.
Yeah, conventional wisdom says always run a new cam/tappets at 2,500 rpm+ for the first several minutes. I'd liketo believe this is done at the factory upon initial start-up.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
I think we see the issue now;

It's a DK bike so you paid import prices and they have their own 'warranty'.

You took it to an official UK shop (because of DK's reputation) where an official import mechanic had a look and saw the problem. Since you don't have an official UK warranty he could only do work you paid him directly for, including parts and the wait that would be involved?

I'd take it to DK and let them pursue it under their warranty.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well thanks again everyone. Jamesc your right, thats exactly the case. I bought it from Dk as an import as i thought that it shouldn't need anything major done in the first year at least, let alone the first service. :-( I'm going to speak to the technician that serviced it, ask him how bad it is, maybe send him the pics posted here before and see if its similiar wear. Then i guess take it up to DK :-(.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Yep, ask him to look over those pics. If he couldn't actually FEEL anything they are as the FAQ describe. If you could feel something and it was clearly degraded then I'd pursue with DK :) The factory knows the issue so there shouldn't be any problems if warranty replacement is required.

·
Registered
822 Posts
JamesC said:
Yep, ask him to look over those pics. If he couldn't actually FEEL anything they are as the FAQ describe. If you could feel something and it was clearly degraded then I'd pursue with DK :) The factory knows the issue so there shouldn't be any problems if warranty replacement is required.

Even if you cant feel it and its just visual, do you really want to wait untill you CAN FEEL it? I dont care what MV says is and isnt acceptable, there should not be ANY sign of wear at such low mileage, visable or physical. The bike will never run to its potential and I dont think i could take my mind off of anything aside from my "soon to fail" cam lobe.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Some Guy said:
I dont care what MV says is and isnt acceptable, there should not be ANY sign of wear at such low mileage, visable or physical. The bike will never run to its potential and I dont think i could take my mind off of anything aside from my "soon to fail" cam lobe.

Have you read the FAQ? I have more than 30k, more than 33k (that's miles) now really, on those cams with no degradation. Your concern is unfounded IF it's just the nitrogen marks and there is nothing to feel. It's not 'wear'. It is possible to differentiate between visible and physical and that's what should be done in this case.

·
Registered
822 Posts
JamesC said:
Have you read the FAQ? I have more than 30k, more than 33k (that's miles) now really, on those cams with no degradation. Your concern is unfounded IF it's just the nitrogen marks and there is nothing to feel. It's not 'wear'. It is possible to differentiate between visible and physical and that's what should be done in this case.

I read your FAQ and agree with you about being able to differentiate between the two, but its the kind of thing thats if its still under warranty, it should be replaced in my mind. If not, why would the tech bother to mention it, just to make the customer nervous?

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
It's a DK bike so you paid import prices and they have their own 'warranty'.

You took it to an official UK shop (because of DK's reputation) where an official import mechanic had a look and saw the problem. Since you don't have an official UK warranty he could only do work you paid him directly for, including parts and the wait that would be involved?

I'd take it to DK and let them pursue it under their warranty.
It might be worth speaking to the CAB or someone to find out what the situation is with warranties within the EU. It could be that the importer is still obliged to fulfill the terms of the warranty even if it was sourced outside of the UK by another dealer. (They wont like it, mind.)

For instance: I bought my Ducati 748 in Canada. I moved back to the UK during the warranty period and Ducati UK had to honour the warranty. (Not that they ever even questioned whether they had to.) They also honoured the warranty extension Ducati USA gave me as a goodwill gesture, (long story about a C$6000 repair bill at 6000 mile service...)

Si

1 - 18 of 18 Posts