MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A mate of mine has just bought a new Ducati Panigale 1199 and we swapped bikes at the weekend, now I gave up riding sports bikes some 6-7yrs ago, mostly down to the fact I find riding a naked bike on the street is far more enjoyable and to get to that level of enjoyment on a super sports bike you really have to be on a track to do it, certainly responsibly?

Thats said it really is a very nice bike to ride. The suspension needs setting up for our crappy UK roads, but aside from that its quite comfortable. I liked the way the display completely changes depending on the map your running and the animated numbers on the rev display as you pass each figure. Ooodles of power, it really surges on once it passes 6k but feels and sounds slower than it is.

One huge downside for me and easy to fix but one that I can't believe Ducati never noticed or addressed during development were the foot pegs, they are so slippy and offer no grip for your feet at all!

All in all I enjoyed it but I still stand by what I said at the beginning so I was still glad to get back onto my Brutale 800, pleasingly it was the first time since July my mate had ridden my bike and he couldn't believe the difference the software update had made. :)

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
A mate picked up a 899 Panigale at the weekend . Looks nice in white with the red/orange wheels .
His has a full Akrapovic system, it sounds too loud at tickover without ear plugs . BUT following him it sounds absolutely fantastic, the quick shifter really adds to the sound experience .
The main problem was my Brutale got totally ignored while we were out:ahhh:

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My mates got the Termignoni end cans on his, does sound nice, it is nice, just not my thing anymore, but people still flock round my bike to his annoyance. I'm still yet to see another on the road, whereas the Panigales are two a penny around here hahahaha

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
I would gladly take the 1199 over the 899. I noticed the newer Ducatis have more plastic covering the engine over the first few 1199's that came out. How was the heat?

I'm not all that great of a fan of the Panigale looks and I don't find it as desirable as I did the 1098/1198/848.

Started saving money for the "all" new F4 in 2 years time.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
sorry, this bike belongs on the track and should stay there.harsh ride and just a back breaker.2 of my mates have resold them ,they went and bought the ktm 1290,now maybe these bikes are suited to an age gap of 19 to 40 years.ps:you have to be at 8000 rpm or above for this bike to be any kind of fun

cheers eddy

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's not that bad a bike comfort wise, certainly better than the RSV Vtwin he had before. The suspension is set up wrong for the road, even my Brutale was way too harsh, but that can be sorted. But it is a pig in town.

The funny thing is he didn't want to buy new and was in two minds about getting a naked this time as he has so much fun when he rides mine, and was looking at getting a V4 Tuono or Speed triple but out of all the bikes he test road his favourite was a Brutale 990R, he could have got a nice secondhand one for £6-7k but he let one of our mates talk him into buying a new Panigale?

As they say, you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink :laughing:

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Chris,he will sell it shortly.The 2 mates of mine used to bring there bikes out with us and always wanted to swap bikes with us.What does that say.much more fun on the 1090 or 1078 or the 990r.but at the end of the day it is his choice ,like you have said.

cheers eddy

·
Super Moderator
22,105 Posts
You can lead a man to knowledge, but you can't make him think.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think your right, I recon it'll be gone within a year. Hopefully next time he'll take some wise advice ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts