MV Agusta Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here I am on a sunny Sydney day, by the side of the road broken down.
What was to be my first ride on my 05 Brutale has ended with a wimper.
Short story, Battery light came on, ran for 20 minutes then shut down.
No power, no nothing.
I gave been reading threads here and it seems it's the alternator I guess as the Battery fuse is OK.
Waiting for a tow and tried the starter again, it's powered up a little but then died again.
So, alternator??

·
Super Moderator
22,073 Posts
Go through the manual Kel, you need a fresh battery, start the bike and run it while testing the Voltage from the alternator, there's a very well laid out section on this topic in the workshop manual. Good luck.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Finally home. Stuck it on the trickle charger for an hour got it up to 12.9 volts and it fired up. Battery light still on. Ran my meter on it and got 12.2 volts at idle and 12.4 when rev-up. Is that in the ballpark?

·
Registered
530 Posts
You know what
on second thought, let be 100% sure.
try to get a reading coming directly off of the alternator and see what that says.
if you get a higher reading there, you may have shot wiring somewhere.
This is me giving you hope. I really believe it is your alternator.

Tree

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK. From what the tests say its the Alternator. Is there a link to the removal procedure please.
Also who do we recommend to buy from (site sponsor etc)

·
Super Moderator
22,073 Posts
There's no link to the removal of the alternator, if you have a search you might find where others have had to replace them. A few of us have been able to do it without dropping the motor, you will probably be safe to assume that you're going to have to drop the motor ever so slightly. The website in my signature has some manuals you will need. You don't remove the motor, you undo the head mount bolts, and some of the frame plate bolts, then lift the frame at the front. Easy.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Thanks Donsy. Easy eh! I like your optimism mate. Will do a detailed search here for info. Just saw the price. Jeezus, $700 AUD!!!
There isn't a car one that suits?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Dons, you've been great mate. May have a second hand one from the MV Agusta Club on Facebook. My only worry is that it'll do it again with a used one. Anyway, back to searching for a "how to" on doing the job.

·
Vendor
5,638 Posts
Kel, download the Workshop manual, like I said, there's a perfectly good fault finding section in there. Once you're sure it's the alternator, drop the motor to replace.
Donsy,I remember Jason pulling his alternator on his Brutale without dropping the motor.From memory he removed the tin shroud on the back of the alternator and juggled it out.Maybe different on an 05 model,not certain.

·
Registered
9,963 Posts
I have a brand new alternator in a box back home.

If I were op Id get a competent auto electrician to diagnose the alternator before removing it from the bike.

Im on a boat half way across the Irish sea right now so cant access Donsys manuals.
I seem to recall Brutales of this era have a diode in the SPU which can blow if the battery is connected wrong way. May be wrong.
What I do know is that many of us self included tend to assume the worst when looking at electrical faults.

Joe

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Did another check of the voltages with a meter now the battery has been fully charged overnight.
Key off and battery reads 13.10.
Power up and the light is still showing.
Start up and voltage drops to 12.70.
Battery maybe?
Help please!!!

·
Vendor
5,638 Posts
You should be reading around 14.3v at 2,000rpm with lights on high beam.Are you sure the battery fuse is OK,and have you checked the wiring earth points?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You should be reading around 14.3v at 2,000rpm with lights on high beam.Are you sure the battery fuse is OK,and have you checked the wiring earth points?
battery fuse is good mitchy also checked with the meter.
where are the earth points you speak of?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts