MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys,

I should start by saying what a bike! I had my first real ride of the season last weekend in the Muskoka area in Ontario. I was with several other bikes, a 2012 Multistrada, a 2011 Tuono, a 2006 R6, a 2008 Ducati 1098, a 2010 FZ8 and a 1999 VFR. Wow we hit some technical roads, some fast long sweepers, a little rain, lots of sun and a whole lotta fun!

The down side...

The first 10 KM my clutch side mirror fell off my bike. It appears the bike was dropped prior to me purchasing it and a small hairline crack to the mirror housing and the mirror finally gave away. So needless to say the next 500KM was done using a lot of head checks.

My choke on the right side handlebar doesn't work at all. On cold starts the bike takes a little to warm up not a huge issue but would of been nice to know when I purchased the bike from the dealer that the choke didn't work.

My hydraulic clutch needs some adjustments. Even when my clutch lever is pulled in all the way I can feel a small engine pull. Any suggestions? Another thing the dealer forgot to mention to me on the purchase date.

A small engine oil leak on both sides of the engine. I'm not good with terms of the MV motor but I'll describe what is happening. On the MV portion on the left side of the bike a small build of oil has accumulated after a hard ride. I've cleaned up the residue and it eventually comes back. Not enough to be dripping off the bike but definitely isn't clean. On the other side of the bike I noticed a small run off of oil coming from the oil cap. This is the first I time I've seen an oil cap tightened / loosened by an Allen key. The cap appeared to be tight when I checked it. When I took the cap off I noticed a white scum on the o-ring. A friend of mine said this could be water. He said when you mix water and oil it makes this white scum. No water was in the oil but maybe it was on the threads of the cap?? I don't know...

On a straight stretch of the road my upper chain guard broke off the bike and went flying away. This was brought to my attention on a fuel up by a buddy who was behind me.

Well, I think that is all that went wrong on this ride... The bike rides amazingly and has so much power from start to end of the rev ranges. I'm really happy with the bike but WTF...

I've sent an email to the store where I purchased the bike. The sales rep said he forwarded my email to the manager... So... Listen I'm not looking for a miracle here just some help with a new mirror, a chain guard and maybe a tune up... Is that a lot to ask?

A group of us are thinking of Pennsylvania for our June ride... Here is to hoping I can at least get the mirror by then!

Any suggestions for where I can order a upper chain guard and mirror? I'm in Canada but am willing to buy from where I have to.

I'm hoping the store where I bought the bikes comes through but I'd like to have options if they don't...

I'll add a few pics

KJL

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
pics

A few pics of the bikes and issues listed
KJL

Hey guys,

I should start by saying what a bike! I had my first real ride of the season last weekend in the Muskoka area in Ontario. I was with several other bikes, a 2012 Multistrada, a 2011 Tuono, a 2006 R6, a 2008 Ducati 1098, a 2010 FZ8 and a 1999 VFR. Wow we hit some technical roads, some fast long sweepers, a little rain, lots of sun and a whole lotta fun!

The down side...

The first 10 KM my clutch side mirror fell off my bike. It appears the bike was dropped prior to me purchasing it and a small hairline crack to the mirror housing and the mirror finally gave away. So needless to say the next 500KM was done using a lot of head checks.

My choke on the right side handlebar doesn't work at all. On cold starts the bike takes a little to warm up not a huge issue but would of been nice to know when I purchased the bike from the dealer that the choke didn't work.

My hydraulic clutch needs some adjustments. Even when my clutch lever is pulled in all the way I can feel a small engine pull. Any suggestions? Another thing the dealer forgot to mention to me on the purchase date.

A small engine oil leak on both sides of the engine. I'm not good with terms of the MV motor but I'll describe what is happening. On the MV portion on the left side of the bike a small build of oil has accumulated after a hard ride. I've cleaned up the residue and it eventually comes back. Not enough to be dripping off the bike but definitely isn't clean. On the other side of the bike I noticed a small run off of oil coming from the oil cap. This is the first I time I've seen an oil cap tightened / loosened by an Allen key. The cap appeared to be tight when I checked it. When I took the cap off I noticed a white scum on the o-ring. A friend of mine said this could be water. He said when you mix water and oil it makes this white scum. No water was in the oil but maybe it was on the threads of the cap?? I don't know...

On a straight stretch of the road my upper chain guard broke off the bike and went flying away. This was brought to my attention on a fuel up by a buddy who was behind me.

Well, I think that is all that went wrong on this ride... The bike rides amazingly and has so much power from start to end of the rev ranges. I'm really happy with the bike but WTF...

I've sent an email to the store where I purchased the bike. The sales rep said he forwarded my email to the manager... So... Listen I'm not looking for a miracle here just some help with a new mirror, a chain guard and maybe a tune up... Is that a lot to ask?

A group of us are thinking of Pennsylvania for our June ride... Here is to hoping I can at least get the mirror by then!

Any suggestions for where I can order a upper chain guard and mirror? I'm in Canada but am willing to buy from where I have to.

I'm hoping the store where I bought the bikes comes through but I'd like to have options if they don't...

I'll add a few pics

KJL

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hey Man, if you're willing to come back to Ottawa, I'll give you my left side mirror. I replaced my mirrors and signals with bar-ends so I've got the mirror doing nothing.

One catch though is I cut the signal connector off so you'll want to save yours and attach it to the one I give ya.

Let me know

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
Hi KJL. No serious issue's then :naughty:

If this good fella can't get you sorted with a mirror, I'm sure the shop should help you though, the forum sponsors all sell various aftermarket items.

Okay, the oil leaking from the filler cap is probably just a pinched o-ring, just replace it with the right size one which you can get from any spares place. I wonder if the white stuff you got in there was not a sealer somebody had tried to use. It might even just be water from your ride in the wet.

The l/h side oil leak is a common and simple fix. Remove the little cover, you don't even have to drain the oil, clean the mating faces and flatten with a fine sand paper (this is to smooth the spot where the engine cases join), apply some gasket sealer to the cover over the existing o-ring, and replace cover carefully. Don't strip the bolts. 10 min job.

Have a look in the maintenance section, this come's around every now and again on various models.
The picture I posted is from another members on the forum, but yours will be similar.

Good luck, and great to see you have fun.

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Poon Stick,

If you could mail me the mirror that would be fantastic!! Let me know the cost I could email you some cash. or... Not sure if the post does this anymore but send it COD.. Let me know if this works for you.. I'm about 5 hours North of Ottawa I won't be going back anytime soon.

Thanks for the reply and offer!

KJL

Hey Man, if you're willing to come back to Ottawa, I'll give you my left side mirror. I replaced my mirrors and signals with bar-ends so I've got the mirror doing nothing.

One catch though is I cut the signal connector off so you'll want to save yours and attach it to the one I give ya.

Let me know

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Donsy,

Thanks for the quick reply and fix for the oil leak... Looks like a job I can do for sure!

Any ideas for the clutch issue I'm having?

KJL

If this good fella can't get you sorted with a mirror, I'm sure the shop should help you though, the forum sponsors all sell various aftermarket items.

Okay, the oil leaking from the filler cap is probably just a pinched o-ring, just replace it with the right size one which you can get from any spares place. I wonder if the white stuff you got in there was not a sealer somebody had tried to use. It might even just be water from your ride in the wet.

The l/h side oil leak is a common and simple fix. Remove the little cover, you don't even have to drain the oil, clean the mating faces and flatten with a fine sand paper (this is to smooth the spot where the engine cases join), apply some gasket sealer to the cover over the existing o-ring, and replace cover carefully. Don't strip the bolts. 10 min job.

Have a look in the maintenance section, this come's around every now and again on various models.
The picture I posted is from another members on the forum, but yours will be similar.

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
Donsy,

Thanks for the quick reply and fix for the oil leak... Looks like a job I can do for sure!

Any ideas for the clutch issue I'm having?

KJL
Sorry, I forgot about that one, there's a bit of this going around with a couple of guys on other models, in most cases it requires for a decent bleed of the hydraulic system.
You mentioned that the bikes been dropped, have got standard lever on, some aftermarket levers can cause issues, if standard, have a look to see if adjusting lever travel makes any difference.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
KJL,

My bike had all the same issues to a T.

Mirror was warranteed, new ones don't fly out.

Engine side cover was fixed with some RTV/silicone, no issues since.

The newer style chain guards have an additional fastener near the front to prevent this from reoccurring.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the replies gentlemen! My levers are aftermarket does anyone know of an article on how to bleed the hydraulic clutch? I'm no mechanic but I follow instructions well. Also, anyone with information on the choke? Is there a way to fix the fast idle or tighten it? I spoke with a service rep at the dealership and was told none of those chokes have ever worked... Seems odd to me... One last questions.. Does the 2011 MV Agusta Brutle RR come with a rear tire hugger? Mine has none and the rear shock is taking a beating with dirt and all sorts of road scum. Thanks guys! Being part of this forum has been a huge help. KJL

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
Okay KJL, here's the deal.
Have a bit of a read through some of the other sections, Maintenance, Customizing etc.
Not giving you shit here, just showing you the way, all of this has been done by other guys who have shared all the info.

In the maintenance section or even by looking at my signature, you will find there is a website you can go to and download a workshop and engine manual for your bike.

By looking around in the workshop manual you will find that the little lever is not a choke but rather a way of just increasing idle in your bike. This can be easily adjusted via the throttle cables.

Huggers are available from all the forum sponsors.
I'm now starting to worry about your dealers service crew.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
You're swing arm should have the little plugs covering the holes for the hugger, but my 2011 1090R didn't come with one either. Losing the upper chain guard seems relatively common, but some have had it damage their rims finish when it twisted, hope yours came off clean. It looks like yours snapped off once the front came loose, mine backed off the screw and went bye bye, a carbon fibre replacement is nice :)

Donsy is dead on with the cable adjustment fixing the "choke". Mine worked well once the cables were adjusted, but has gradually become less effective, though I find it really doesn't need it. It doesn't take much cable slack to make it ineffective, since the stock fueling makes small rpm adjustments pretty patchy at that fine a movement. For me it was idle or ~3k with it on, now it's back to idle or unstable idle.

I know for certain there is a good write up on the chain guard for fixing the front pin issue because Donsy walked me through it last year :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hey guys,

The down side...

I'll add a few pics

KJL

Hey I have a 2011 1090r..where u from I'm from Toronto area.i have same leak it's coming from side cover and lower crankcase on both sides. I spoke with dukes of cycle carmen he's mv agusta mechanic for royal distributing. . He told me that he's gotta take the lower crankcase re seal it. And my chain guard also fell off.. i will use loctite when i install it ,I ordered mine thru dealer here two weeks ago should get it mid June. .. Some parts we gotta wait for... but this bike is awesome. .

·
Registered
41 Posts
Thanks for all the replies gentlemen! My levers are aftermarket does anyone know of an article on how to bleed the hydraulic clutch? I'm no mechanic but I follow instructions well. Also, anyone with information on the choke? Is there a way to fix the fast idle or tighten it? I spoke with a service rep at the dealership and was told none of those chokes have ever worked... Seems odd to me... One last questions.. Does the 2011 MV Agusta Brutle RR come with a rear tire hugger? Mine has none and the rear shock is taking a beating with dirt and all sorts of road scum. Thanks guys! Being part of this forum has been a huge help. KJL
Hey..check the bushing on clutch lever..sometimes it falls out when changing the stock one

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
... And my chain guard also fell off.. i will use loctite when i install it ,I ordered mine thru dealer here two weeks ago should get it mid June. .. Some parts we gotta wait for... but this bike is awesome. .
Hey, if your new chain guard has the same front pin piece as your stock one then Loctite probably won't help once it pops out again. It really needs a well nut/riv nut in the front to ensure it stays in place. It IS and awesome machine though :brutale:

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have the same issues (choke, oil leak) on my 1078RR.
After reading your post, I remembered that I noticed that the upper chain guard was lose so I went to my garage to check it and a small part is broken. I think I would have lost it during the next ride. I could try to fix it but this part isn't that expensive so I ordered a new one for 20 euros (about 25 USD). But it's not a carbon part.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I contacted the dealer about the rear hugger they said the Brutale doesn't come with a rear hugger and said I would have to order aftermarket... Still strange to me because the rear shock takes a beating with the road scum..

FYI

Yes bike comes with a rear hugger

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks Donsy,
I stopped in at Canadian Tire and picked up some gasket sealer and did the fix yesterday. Was simple like you said only took me about half an hour. Once I give my Brute a good run I'll let everyone know how the fix worked.

·
Registered
405 Posts
The clutch does need bleeding now and again and a vacuum bleeder works best for me, however your aftermarket levers may not be giving you the full travel, also check the span adjuster set to max? (not min)

Normally if the fueling is correct you don't need to use the fast idle, it does work (even though its crude) and has been said above the shop should know how to make this work as its really basic stuff, should have also told you its not a choke. The only time I had to use this was with the MV race ECU as it made the bike run so rich it would really struggle to idle when cold, the fix I used was to back each air screw out 1/2 turn.

You don't get a hugger from new.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts