MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sup guys!

I finally got to get out and ride the F3 for a couple hours, bit over 100 miles. For the most part I had just been doing some commuting to and from work because I've been tearing down my Kawi. Anywho I did some farm road riding with a few twisties to get a feel for the bike at speed. I own a 08 CBR1000RR for the street that I've tracked a few times, and an 05 ZX-10R for the track so I'm more or less comparing to those two.

First off, I noticed the bike is a bit shakey when I'm sitting still in neutral. as in it vibrates. I called the dealer and they say bring it in so they can hear it but it might be a characteristic of the bike.

I had to adjust the fork compression and rebound as it felt very uncomfortable under braking. From the dealer they were both a half turn out from 0! A few turns out made it a lot better. I didn't mess with the shock since I didn't have a hand for adjusting, but it felt extremely stiff especially going over bumps. Maybe I'm spoiled by my race bikes traxxion and Elka? I don't know but my CBR is nowhere near this rough, although I've got it setup before.

The on/off throttle is a bit twitchy. As if there's a slight delay when going from close throttle to accelerating. Is this common or do I just need to adjust the cables? Also the clutch is not slipper. And the bike could use a damper.

On to the good things..the bikes handling really stays to come in the faster you go. The power is decent but didn't wow me, probably from riding my other two bikes so much. Brakes are good, and it picks up nicely throughout the midrange. The bike is deceivingly fast, as in you'll be rolling faster than you feel. This can be a good and bad thing. I intend on tracking it out over the next year so that will be fun.

Overall I'm happy with the bike. There's a few changes to be made and nerves to settle with the throttle and idling, but I'll be one happy camper once everything ironed out :f4:

·
Registered
341 Posts
Sup guys!

I finally got to get out and ride the F3 for a couple hours, bit over 100 miles. For the most part I had just been doing some commuting to and from work because I've been tearing down my Kawi. Anywho I did some farm road riding with a few twisties to get a feel for the bike at speed. I own a 08 CBR1000RR for the street that I've tracked a few times, and an 05 ZX-10R for the track so I'm more or less comparing to those two.

First off, I noticed the bike is a bit shakey when I'm sitting still in neutral. as in it vibrates. I called the dealer and they say bring it in so they can hear it but it might be a characteristic of the bike.

I had to adjust the fork compression and rebound as it felt very uncomfortable under braking. From the dealer they were both a half turn out from 0! A few turns out made it a lot better. I didn't mess with the shock since I didn't have a hand for adjusting, but it felt extremely stiff especially going over bumps. Maybe I'm spoiled by my race bikes traxxion and Elka? I don't know but my CBR is nowhere near this rough, although I've got it setup before.

The on/off throttle is a bit twitchy. As if there's a slight delay when going from close throttle to accelerating. Is this common or do I just need to adjust the cables? Also the clutch is not slipper. And the bike could use a damper.

On to the good things..the bikes handling really stays to come in the faster you go. The power is decent but didn't wow me, probably from riding my other two bikes so much. Brakes are good, and it picks up nicely throughout the midrange. The bike is deceivingly fast, as in you'll be rolling faster than you feel. This can be a good and bad thing. I intend on tracking it out over the next year so that will be fun.

Overall I'm happy with the bike. There's a few changes to be made and nerves to settle with the throttle and idling, but I'll be one happy camper once everything ironed out :f4:
No throttle cables bro, "ride by wire"

·
Registered
465 Posts
It is an 800 so down on capacity compared to both your other bikes, I wouldn't expect to be wowed by the power if you're used to litre bikes. But I guess you can throw the 800 around a lot more?

Shakey is normal, it's an Italain triple, not a Japanese four pot, I found the characteristics of the motor so different from any IL4 and still very different from the Triumph triple motor. Unless you have some serious issues with balance etc. I don't think you'll get it shake free on idle. My tail tidy bounces all over the place at idle.

So you've not had it set up and are surprised that it's not as good as your upgraded race bike or your set up street bike? ;) I'm having similar issues, I had my ZX-6R set up for me and I am really struggling with the MV, especially the rear, I found it bounces me all over the place and actually rides better with a pillion. I'm booked in Friday for a set up.

As above no cables, RBW. I believe there may be a heavier spring kit out there, but I have yet to have this confirmed. I thought the 800's came with a slipper clutch? It's one of my bug bears too. I think MV figured you could just use the TC to compensate. If I hadn't just bought a house and wasn't still paying the MV off I'd put a Sigma in.

You said you did some rough farm roads? In my experience the MV loves those smooth windy roads, bumps and rough terrain just unsettle it further, especially when it's not set up.

Get it set up and enjoy!

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
F3 800 has a slipper clutch.
Didn't say in the manual.. And sure as hell didn't feel like it! I may just need to check it the engine brake settings. As far as suspension goes.. I just thought a 10 year newer bike might be more on par with some of the older bikes upgraded suspension. Perhaps a bad assumption. I surely do need to get a baseline setup especially if it's anything like the how bad the front was.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I didn't know about RBH to be honest. And didn't know exactly what it means. But I'm telling Ya if you're not as smooth as butter on the throttle on this bike you look like a total noob rolling on/off throttle because it's so abrupt almost like you're chopping it.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Does the bike have the latest software update? Thought that was supposed to smooth the F3 out significantly. Are you sure they didn't hand you over a 675 hoping you wouldn't notice? :baddeal:

·
Registered
3,423 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
I didn't know about RBH to be honest. And didn't know exactly what it means. But I'm telling Ya if you're not as smooth as butter on the throttle on this bike you look like a total noob rolling on/off throttle because it's so abrupt almost like you're chopping it.

It has a slipper clutch, I have never had the rear lock up on aggressive down shifts. Just relax on the throttle when going slow and keep it wide open everywhere else. :yo:

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
I fitted a slipper on my 675 F3 and its dead obvious when it has a slipper, you can even feel it on the clutch lever when it slips.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I fitted a slipper on my 675 F3 and its dead obvious when it has a slipper, you can even feel it on the clutch lever when it slips.
I didn't lock the rear or anything, nor have a done crazy aggressive down shifting. I'm thinking it's just a different feel when going down the gears than what I'm used to. I rode a 99 Gsxr600 which definitely had no slipper. It was terrible on the track and I suck at blipping the throttle.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Define feel different? I can definitely tell the difference between slipper and no slipper. When I ride my bro's CBR and go down a couple of cogs at a time the back will hop if I'm being aggressive. On my ninja, you would feel the clutch take the "shock". Seems that you just aren't liking the feel of the gear box. you have to be very definite with it. Compared to my 08 ZX6R the gearbox is a bit agricultural .

What level of TC are you in?

RBW - I think you are confusing throttle feel with throttle response?? What mode are you in? What map do you have. The TR is pretty jittery and sensitive anyhow, combined with the light spring, weird chattery suspension, it can lead to a pretty jerky ride. Especially is you're used to a tuned engine and cable throttle.

Seems on the offset that you're not too happy with the bike because is isn't like a Japanese IL4? Give it some more miles say 1000 and see if you get used to it. 100 miles is nowhere near enough to get used to a bike. I've done 2k on mine now and decided to go for a set up as I';m just not getting on with the balance. If after a decent amount of miles, no shame in deciding you don't like it.

Best bet for a bike with the refinement of the Japanese IL4's but the added response of a triple is the Daytona 675 or 675R.

The MV is a totally different ball game, that's why I like it. And it looks amazing.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well guys I took it out to the track yesterday for a little shake down to see the potential of this thing. Riding different modes from rain to sport. Different TC levels etc. One thing I will tell everybody that has this bike is GET THE SUSPENSION SETUP. At least the basic geometry and rebound/compression/damping. This makes the ride much more enjoyable because chances are the settings out of the box are way off what they should be. Here are a few things I take from my day out on it as an "out of the box" bike including oem tires:

Suspension & brakes: Brakes are great! Lots of bite when you squeeze the lever and consistent feedback. You don't get much more the deeper you squeeze but there isn't too much fade as they get going. I think some good fluid and pads will have this thing stopping on a dime, instead of a nickle. The suspension is nothing to brag about but will get the job done for your average rider with a decent setup. You will still feel bumps but it's manageable. The shock is slightly weak but the forks are solid. I was debating which component to get first. Now I know.

Power: Your riding mode makes a big difference in the delivery. On sport mode the power comes in much sooner and stronger and power band is more or less shifted downwards in the RPM range. I could tell the stock exhaust and cat were bogging the power down. Your TC level makes an impact as well. Full TC and you'll feel it kick in extremely early even with little lean. Level 2 felt the best to me. Speed wise it's on par with inline 600s with basic mods. Also me and a Ducati 848 were about even on the strait with me having a slight advantage on acceleration but we started to taper out around the same time. Unsure of his mods but he had exhaust. With a pipe and tune I think this bike can really roll on thr middle weight bikes.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
..continued..I found the RBW takes some getting used to if you want to be smooth. I didn't get a chance to test the different "gas sensitivity" levels which I will do on my next time it. Unfortunately I only got to ride half a day so I didn't get to go through everything. The EAS is acceptable and can be a little abrupt sometimes but I won't need to upgrade that anytime soon. Confirmation the bike has a slipper clutch. The bike also needs a damper. The front gets light quite easily and I had a moment or two of but pucker moments where the damper would have prevented or at least "dampen" it lol. The overall handling of the bike is awesome even with the stock tires. The chassis feedback is good as I could easily tell the limits I was at. This bike has lots of potential and I can't wait to build it. I made a great choice getting this bike. Be aware your attention and envious factor will rise :thumbup: and you will inevitably get asked many questions about it's performance. Go MV AGUSTA!

·
Registered
341 Posts
..continued..I found the RBW takes some getting used to if you want to be smooth. I didn't get a chance to test the different "gas sensitivity" levels which I will do on my next time it. Unfortunately I only got to ride half a day so I didn't get to go through everything. The EAS is acceptable and can be a little abrupt sometimes but I won't need to upgrade that anytime soon. Confirmation the bike has a slipper clutch. The bike also needs a damper. The front gets light quite easily and I had a moment or two of but pucker moments where the damper would have prevented or at least "dampen" it lol. The overall handling of the bike is awesome even with the stock tires. The chassis feedback is good as I could easily tell the limits I was at. This bike has lots of potential and I can't wait to build it. I made a great choice getting this bike. Be aware your attention and envious factor will rise :thumbup: and you will inevitably get asked many questions about it's performance. Go MV AGUSTA!

Nice to see a loving relationship forming. :yo:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Awesome post Jerry.... I picked up my F3 800 over the weekend and I totally love it. I haven't tracked it yet but you have noted some key factors that I will have to look into as I get more comfortable with it.

·
Registered
465 Posts
All I can do is echo Jerry's comment:

"GET THE BIKE SET UP!"

The difference is night and day. Instead of fighting the bike, it is compliant and moves with the road, instead of trying to move me off the road. Having it set up correctly allows you to exploit the chassis even more. I've only managed 2 rides since having the set up done, but what a difference.

Despite the set up it could still do with a steering damper, my 675 get a bit of head shake when pushing on a bit, but when you go all out it really likes to wag. It must be worse with the 800!

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If you have not uploaded the new update from May 20, 2014, I strongly advise it. Got mine back today and what a difference!!
I hope so! When I finally picked it up at the end of May they said all the software is up to date. Idk that I believed him seeing that it was a salesman that told me. I'll ensure they do it when I take it in for first service :thumbup:

·
Registered
145 Posts
Looks to be like when every owner gets an MV...it's all about fine tuning to get the bike perfect for you. Enjoy the tinkering and riding the MV. I've enjoyed every improvement on my MV when taking it out.:)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts