MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This weekend was the first race on my Design Corse/Corran SUP MV Agusta F3 at Chuckwalla raceway in California. While I've been working on the bike all summer, this was the first time I got to really put it head to head against other bikes. For a first outing, against teams who have been doing this for some time, I was very happy with the result. We have more work to do and we're making some adjustments to the bike (and I to how I race it).

I unfortunately qualified poorly. I usually do a 2:01 at this track, and my qualifying time was over 5 seconds slower. I never got any clear track, tangling with riders on race line doing slower laps between fast laps, and hit false neutral on two laps resulting in slower times for those too. So I started at the back of the grid. Not a great start.

But I got great starts both races, passing 2-3 people off the starting line and into turn 1, including some fender banging with one chap through the turn, and I worked my way forward to 19th in the end for both races.

The bike handles amazingly, looks fantastic with the Bikesplast fairings, but its short on power down the straights. I'd pass 2-3 riders through a series of corners, just to be passed back by them on the straights like I was a tree. It was frustrating to have to repass the same riders over and over due to lack of power. The second race I made some tactical changes, and instead of coming in at the front of the third pack of riders, I came in at the back of the middle pack, having clawed my way past the back group and then caught the middle group who were a full straight away ahead of us. If I could have gotten through the back pack faster and had clear track I probably would have picked my way through the middle group too by the end. I did take the back guy in the middle group across the line when I got a great sling shot out the last corner!

Who knows- it's racing. But even my race lap times were 2sec slower than my usual lap times when I'm just out there...

We're resolving this by putting in a full Termignoni racing exhaust, and changing the gearing. This will give me the power I need to be competitive down the straights, and with the amazing handling of my bike I should do better in a few weeks time.

I need to qualify better!

I did have two big moments in each race (bad tire choice - I was slipping and sliding all over the track like a goose on ice), as the bike broke free and then caught high siding me into the air. Both times I landed on the bike all discombobulated, but was able to regain control and keep going, without loosing any places. Must have scared the bejesus out of the guy behind me!

·
Registered
5,910 Posts
well done!! Do you have the race ECU? Sounds like you will be competing for a top 10 once you get the power fixed

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Huge congrats from us north of the border corran. It's always gratifying to finish better than you qualified, eh! :)

·
Registered
357 Posts
19th? Who cares!!!

You look great as hell out there Corran! Keep representing us and the lower laps will come. I'm still doing the same on mine and steadily improving.

Bike looks amazing. Stay safe and Godspeed.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Congrats !!
The Termi improves a lot, think to set the TC as lower as possible , otherwise it cuts a lot of acceleration.

Enjoy your rides !!:)

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Some photos of the bike and our set up with Design Corse

Corran

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah. It's just a beginning. Lots to figure out :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts