MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the front brake is really disappointing. It was a great ride on an awesome bike that was everything that I had hoped it would be to Deal's Gap through the Foothills parkway. I love the machine and almost everything about it, but compared to the other bikes in the stable the front brakes are very soft and have far more lever travel than I prefer. The other bikes that I am using as a comparasion are my 05 999S and my 06 910R, both with Brembo radial mounts. I still need to do a bit of sorting on the suspension to correct the dive characteristics under hard braking, but the lack of feel and lever travel have me looking for a solution. So far as I can see here are my options in order of which I feel I should pursue:

1- Check for air in the lines and change the fluid.
2- Change the brake pads.
3- Change the master cylinder to Brembos or other to gain higher pressure (this may require brake line changes as well).
4- Change the fork lowers to radial mount and switch over to Brembo radial calipers(are there any clearence issues). Have others that have moved to some newer bikes with the Brembos such as the R and 1000 sennas thought the brakes were improved. ?

According to other posts I think that several others have experienced these same characteristics with the Nissin calipers fitted to the Tamburini and others. What are the successes others have enjoyed with these changes and are there any problems such as master cylinder or caliper clearence?
Thanks in advance for any feedback and advice.

-John

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Your list is comprehensive, but start with fresh fluid, this will also eliminate any air in the system - good luck

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
John,

Welcome to Nissen braking. The more travel, progressive braking is what you get with the Nissens. So I agree with your assessment.

Change the pads to race compound pads and that will satisfy your braking "concerns." And NO doubt, you will be able to do a stoppie as desired.

The other items on your list can also be done, with an unclear cost:benefit ratio. In addition, such changes alter the Tamburini which may be frowned on by some purists. But screw them, it's your bike and as long as your riding it and not collecting it, do what you want.

Good-luck, Peter

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Another vote for changing fluid and pads...do a search on brake(s) pads there are a couple of good threads and see how you go.

I really did not like the Nissin's when I first got my MV but have grown to love them/the feel they have...just try the mentioned changes and give yourself a chance to get used to them before making any big changes.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I like so much your F4T, but allways the nissin calipers doesn´t like me.

If I had a F4T, I will changed just the calipers to Brembo radial monoblock for sure. But not the master cylinder, because it is a special one for your bike, very exclusive (just the master cylinder).

Just change the calipers to brembo monoblock and your bike will be awesome.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Both my Senna and ZX10 have radial calipers, but the Senna has very little travel where as the ZX10 has excessive travel. I even installed stainless lines on the Kawasaki and was careful in bleeding the lines, but it didn't dramatically change anything. Maybe a slight improvement, but that may be more psychological than anything else. The ZX10's brakes still have quite a lot of travel. You can force the brake lever to the bar pushing with the palm of your hand.

My point with this is that if you want to reduce the travel, I don't think stainless lines or radial calipers per se will accomplish what you are looking for.

Here is another example. A friend brought his Suzuki SV650 over with rubber hoses and non-radial brakes. His brakes were stock and the lever was rock hard! By comparison, my stainless lines and radial calipers were quite soft.

Even though the ZX10 has soft feeling brakes, the performance is quite good. Two fingers will hoist the rear wheel from 80 mph.

I think if you are looking for brakes with little movement, you need to change your master cyclinder. Brembo makes the cylinders with different ratios. The hard ratio has very little movement, but may rob you of feel since you have to apply more pressure for a given braking action. The softer ratios require a lot more movement of the lever, but offer more feel (like the Kawasaki). The Senna's master cylinder is Nissin and the calipers are brembo (radial). These brakes a very hard compared to the Kawasaki, but seem to provide decent feel.

You may want to look into using a Nissin caliper from the Current MVs. If you go with brembo, depending on the caliper, you may lose the brake light switch. So if you do change calipers, I would first ask if it has a built in brake light switch. Otherwise you'll be looking for one which will fit your bike.

·
Ball & Chain magnet
3,027 Posts
all you need to do is...

1. change brake fluid to DOT4 racing fluid
2. get new pads (racing compound) ferroddo
3. change the stock rotors for some iron rotors (brake-tech's "axis")
4. enjoy what feels like a completely new brake system..... I have done this and I have loved it.

My lever pulls in about 1 inch and then it is grabbing like a bum at a free crack give-a-way!!
cost was about 1,000$$ u.s. and worth every penny
and if you want to have a back brake that actually works.... get the full floating rear rotor and pads to match..... sweetness!! and you can have the rotor hubs color matched to gold or whatever color you'd like.
:yo:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I concur with the cahnge the fluid and pads first.....
MY ago came with the Tambo style "gold billet" nissin calipers as well.
I changed over to Carbon Lorraine pads.....while I still have more lever travel than what is common, the brakes are very progressive and will definitely haul you down. Ive practically blued the rotors @ the track and experienced zero fade over the entire session.

·
Registered
499 Posts
can you tell me more about the rear brake set up? cost? part numbers? i am not proficient enough of a rider to notice any issues with the front, but the rear does fade quickly when in the twisties...

Djester said:
all you need to do is...

1. change brake fluid to DOT4 racing fluid
2. get new pads (racing compound) ferroddo
3. change the stock rotors for some iron rotors (brake-tech's "axis")
4. enjoy what feels like a completely new brake system..... I have done this and I have loved it.

My lever pulls in about 1 inch and then it is grabbing like a bum at a free crack give-a-way!!
cost was about 1,000$$ u.s. and worth every penny
and if you want to have a back brake that actually works.... get the full floating rear rotor and pads to match..... sweetness!! and you can have the rotor hubs color matched to gold or whatever color you'd like.
:yo:

·
Ball & Chain magnet
3,027 Posts
Mat Black said:
can you tell me more about the rear brake set up? cost? part numbers? i am not proficient enough of a rider to notice any issues with the front, but the rear does fade quickly when in the twisties...
ok...here's the link... http://www.motowheels.com/italian/myproducts.cfm?parentcategoryid=4%7CBrakes&productID=3405&showDetail=1&categoryID=491|MV%20Agusta%20Brakes&vendoridtodisplay=0&filterFor=&collection=168%7CEuropean%20Motorcycle%20Parts

the rear rotor housing will have to be modified just a bit... where the rotor meets the housing.... the tabs have to be filed/trimmed a bit. Better to let a local dealer/installer do the job... price for the rear rotor is around 260** u.s. $$, cost of install should be around or not more than 50** u.s. $$. The pads are ferrado racing compound pads...rear and front. I haven't had any fade issues yet with the front or the rear set up... but I haven't got any track days yet either..... although I do ride pretty hard at times....

part # BTM-V21Rx (rear rotor) $$ 259.99 u.s. :friday:

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
The Nissins are excelent brake calipers. You will get a perfect brake when using racing brake pads (I use Lucas SRQ) and racing brake fluid (I use Castrol SRF). Bleed itwith care and your brake is out of all recognition.

·
Registered
28 Posts
no experience with the MV's, but I've noticed on my ZZR1200 that just changing the fluid made a difference I wouldn't have believed possible. I have also noticed that different ZZR's with the same equipment (s/s lines, DP HH++ pads, etc) don't necessarily feel the same. Also, if your Tamburini has the 'brake splitter' on the front like DJester's S, then those (on the Kawi's anyway) are notorious for holding air and making it very hard to bleed. I went with one line from the mc to the right caliper, and the second line across to the left caliper- in series so to speak. Bled easily!! May be totally inapplicable to a 'real' bike like the MV ;)

·
Registered
189 Posts
It's not you, your brakes suck.

Brembo radials don't suck.

Install Brembo, the Senna has them.

I walk the talk and know the difference.

While you're down there, get some 320mm rotors, the Senna has them.

·
Super Moderator
2,486 Posts
You can undoubtedly spend whatever extra cash you have on brake upgrades, some of the above listed hardware is truly trick stuff...But I really doubt it will be necessary.

Your original first two steps are perfect. Start with the most cost effective cures in order, change the fluid and bleed the lines. Check it out, I predict you will be much happier. If THAT doesn't get you there, THEN change the pads. If you then have to go farther, what have you invested? Hardly anything but a few bucks and an hour of labor.

Keep us posted...

Griff
twoeleven

·
Registered
740 Posts
My Ago came with the same calipers as the Tambo. I didn't like the brakes either, too much lever travel and no initial bite. I tried new fluid and bleeding, it didn't improve anything. I ended up with new pads and also changed the rotors to Discacciati's which were thicker than the stockers. I now have the bite and the thicker rotors took up the lever travel I didn't like. :yo:

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks to everyone for all of the advice, amazing amount of knowledge you guys have.

I am hopeful that a change to better fluid and thorough bleeding will be a good start. I will probably go ahead and slap in some new/better pads at the same time while I am in there b/c it wouldn't add much more to the cost of the project and it sounds as most have good success with the changes.

I will move forward from there to rotors, cylinders, and radial mount calipers etc. if the improvements aren't satisfactory or I simply can't resist the radial mount Brembos, they always look sweet. Thanks 0700 for the pics, did you source those as a kit such as what Motowheels offers or from a Senna etc?

I will keep you posted!!!!!

·
Ball & Chain magnet
3,027 Posts
fazer6 said:
Wonder what you would sell the gold calipers for, huh?
ditto!! I am interested in them if they will be taken off ..... :koolaid:

Fasduc..... is that front tire mounted backwards? I'm not the smartest guy about Tire treads....but it loks reversed rotation.... getting caught in the rain wouldn't be nice either with the treads directing the water to the middle of the tire...but as most of us.... we avoid the rain by all means possible :lightning maybe it's a track trick??...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts