MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So who is going to make the first 800cc race replica bike?

I'm not so sure myself. It makes sense that Suzuki could just punch out the 750 and see what happens. But that motor apparently doesn't have much room left for bigger pistons...

Honda already has the 800cc Interceptor engine... That thing all hopped up in a chassis that mildly resembles the RC212V might be cool.

Kawasaki was a legend with the ZX-7R. Maybe they will update it and bring it back as the ZX-8R?

And you know a YZF-R8 would be cool...

Funny thing is, if one of them did this, I'd be game. The only reason I haven't bought a GSX-R 750 is because they are too "cookie cutter" for me. I can't deny they work great, but EVERYONE has them at the track (well, GSX-Rs anyway). But if Kawasaki made a ZX-8R that sort of resembled the old 7R? Holy cow would I be there waiting...

I've said this years ago, when the 1000cc bikes were becoming popular, that there will be a time in the future when these media outlets will have this "epiphany" about how great 750cc bikes are. As if they weren't already great. Maybe I was wrong and it will really be 800cc bikes?

Then again, the rumor has it that there will be one more jump down in engine size, then another to finally get back to 500cc. And when 22,000 rpm GP 500s hit the track I'll be ecstatic. Hopefully by then everyone will have cleared their heads and Superbike will be back to 750cc 4 cylinder vs. 900cc triples (should really be 925cc?) vs. 1000cc twins. With some way to keep the rules even.

(The new Interceptor has an '80's style paint scheme and it's really growing on me, and I actually do need a street bike...)

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
I think Honda would really be ina position to capitalize on the V4 platform. I don't know how likely they are to capitalize on it though. My guess is they will keep making the liter bikes look like the gp bikes and market them that way. I doubt they will capitalize on the GP market by selling a bike with less power than a superbike.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Less power, but more trick?

They seem to continue selling the RC-51 even though it's not got the power than the 1000RR does... I think they could pull it off.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
i think that's twin motor feel vs. inline 4.

your 750 to 800 possibility seems interesting though, but i wonder if it would happen. yamaha has been doing quite well without a bike between the R6/R1. when kawa brought out the 636 i saw the demise of the zx7R making sense. but now they went back to 599cc's. i think they should do a 800. why not? they will probably sell a bunch of them. but, on the other hand, the 750gixxer is not that far off from the 1000 in terms of performance. i don't even think the top speed is that big a difference. you can't get around torque for straits, but the 750 has always been better balanced. i guess we'll see what happens, but i can see kawa doing it. what do they have to lose? you don't have to have a winning bike to sell on the street. the 675 daytona hasn't won anything and it's being gobbled up...albiet maybe for different reasons.

andy, i bet if you jumped to a SPR you wouldn't buy anything else. either that or get the 860cc cylinders for the strada. there you go.

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
acruhl said:
Less power, but more trick?

They seem to continue selling the RC-51 even though it's not got the power than the 1000RR does... I think they could pull it off.

Yeah, the trick part would be cool, but this is Honda we are talking about. When was the last really "trick" thing they put on any of their bikes. Hell, at least Yamaha built the LE and put wheels and ohlins on it.

The RC has been discontinued for '07 which probably reflects poor sales (since they haven't dropped a dime of real development work on that bike since 2002). Honda still sells way more CBR1k's then they do RC's.

Honda really could capitalize on the race bike though. First they would need to unpack the RC45 engine and give it an extra 50cc's to make it an 800. Put the Honda kit heads on it to boost power a bit and put it in an all new chassis and with GP inspired bodywork, oh and make the f'n thing light. That might do pretty well. But with Honda's MO, they will dress the 1K in RC212V bodywork and call it a day. I can't wait to see what type of passenger seat they will squeeze onto the tailsection :silly:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts