MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have been traveling so the bike has been sitting in my friends living room while being sold. He sold it Saturday and when the guy was riding home the oil filter blew apart dumping all of its oil on the rear tire. Luckily the guy stopped and the bike never got dumped. I was running the PL14612 and it only had maybe 400 miles on it. What gives?

·
Super Moderator
21,442 Posts
The can physically blew apart? That would be rare.

If it was spewing oil from the deal area, there is the possibility that the previous seal was still on the seating area and that can have the same effect.

·
Registered
91 Posts
1. congrats on sale!

2. what do you mean 'blew apart'? The filter body exploded or the seal blew out?

·
Administrator
18,852 Posts
If it was a K&N filter, or another one with a nut welded onto the cap, then those filters are known to fail....very dangerous. Welded on nut blows off.

Otherwise it is more likely the seal failed...either seal doubled up (old one was stuck on engine when new filter was installed), or the filter wasn't tightened fully.

I seriously doubt the filter canister itself opened up.

·
Registered
14,212 Posts
?

It was Purolator PL-14612 oil filter.......
GUARANTEED IT WASN'T CORRECTLY TORQUED........
READ THE INSTRUCTIONS PRINTED ON THE FILTER

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It was Purolator PL-14612 oil filter.......
GUARANTEED IT WASN'T CORRECTLY TORQUED........
READ THE INSTRUCTIONS PRINTED ON THE FILTER
Perhaps I guess. I did tighten it like I did all my other bikes. Mute point now. I want to say it was the seal not the actual filter. Merry Christmas everyone! I loved my time here and will continue to stop by!

·
Registered
179 Posts
I would look into the pressure release valve and see if it is stuck. most oil filters will blow @300 p.s.i. the racing filters are rated @600 p.s.i. on V8 engines...I am not up to date on motorcycle engines and I might be wrong on these numbers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts