MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my bike today in San Diego and rode PCH/5/405 up
to Santa Barbara, 240 miles 5 hours.
Freakin, fookin awesome. And that about sums it up anything anything I say below has to be modified by the those adjectives.
The seat was fine it ain't no touring bike. I slightly dimpled/marred the back of the tank. My style is to lean forward kinda pressing on the tank and holding squeezing to the tank with my knees.
Slight leak from the radiator hose clamps to the pump, hopefully it seals up or will be fixed at the first service.
Shifter and rear brake were a little odd, may try adjusting but basically just different from my other bike and started to adapt and getting familiar.
Throttle was very touchy and blipping on the down shifts again different, of course I am breaking her in still so I didn't go crazy well maybe once or twice. Very impressed with the power/torque curve.
The sound was just incredible and not wanting to keep the revs steady I just loved gassing it and hearing the sound.
Handled like nothing I've been on before. Fly airliners now and this was F-16 like.
Pulled in for gas and there is an 07 910R what chance is that. Talked to the owner Peter. Very nice chap and chat. Peter if you come on here maybe you could share the suspension set-up you came up with. Just plain too pumped to remeber numbers of clicks.
No stalls, no headlight falling out, no water pump leak just the hose. so basically flawless.
Just can't wait for tomorrow.

Attachments

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Forgot, biggest gripe the Mirrors. Useless, lift an arm and touch the glass then maybe some semblance of function. Mr Emoto get ready to post me rear hugger,mirrors plus misc. goodies.

·
Registered
186 Posts
MVAli said:
1. The seat was fine it ain't no touring bike....
2. ...Shifter and rear brake were a little odd...
3. ...Throttle was very touchy and blipping on the down shifts again different...
1. I think the seat is quite comfortable for this type of bike.
2. You saying that just reminded me of my 1st ride on mine... I thought the same thing. Now I don't even think about it.
3. Yes, very touchy throttle, I wonder if this can be adjusted out in any way?

At your 1st service, you may consider skipping the rattle part and ask your dealer to put loctite blue on the air cover panels (crc logoed part with the air intake vents) on the 6 tiny bolts (3 per panel) while they already have the tank off.

You got the best looking Brutale!

edit: oh, btw my suspension was pretty bad set up when I got it, I mentioned it in a thread, and Dumbcomputers suggested I wait on doing anything until the suspension breaks in. In my case it was a good suggestion because at over 1300 miles now it carves a curve much better than it did at 300 miles.

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts

·
King of the Sink
1,571 Posts
Congrats! Great read on your first ride - thanks!

I couldn't agree more about waiting for things to settle in. I've done 1300km now on mine, and things are improving with age - just like a fine wine. I've only ever had vehicles from new - and I don't remember anything mechanical improving this much in such a short time. My bike is now much easier to ride, and therefore much more fun.

Just as an aside, would anyone like to organise a group buy? I was thinking maybe a takeover bid for Shell or BP, just to reduce the fuel costs... :)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
850 miles now, drove down to san diego for first service, no problems whatsoever. Had the clutch and brake fluids changed as a warranty item, much less sponginess now. Gotta give credit to GP M/C they took the bike in late afternoon and they worked on it till 10 at night so I could pick it up in this morning. Adjusted the TPS etc and lessened a slight flat spot I was feeling. It was very hard to say anything was wrong as I was new to the bike and it really ran great before and now maybe a tad better. Coolant leak has all but stopped, what fluid there is when I wipe it is really thick and gelled.
Highlight, I stopped by to see Desert-racer and he took the time to tweak my suspension settings. He even wrote down the clicks from the factory std should I want to revert . The freeway riding hammering is gone, took the backroads with lots of twisties and high speed sweepers and maybe a touch of more wallowing braking into the corners but just as responsive in and out and just as easy side to side. pure Bliss thanks Peter.
Rode the last half-hour in the dark, headlight was fine.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Oh, I scored the workshop manual and the engine manual. One day I'll try and scan them for everyone, but if in the meantime you need a particular section let me know and I'll email the pertinent pages. Apparently, they are available in digital format anyone have the CD/DVD?
Missing the Parts manual, bid for one on ebay but lost to someone else last second, story of my life.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
MVAli,
loved your enthusiastic report. It reminds me of my first ride on my Brutale (3 years ago, first in the country). I was so blown away I actually wrote a letter to the importer. I know pretty sad, but no one else to share it with back then.

I think we all told you how special these MV's are, it is hard to describe until you ride them, enjoy, and remember, they love a good old thrashing (or two)

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts
MVAli said:
850 miles now, drove down to san diego for first service, no problems whatsoever. Had the clutch and brake fluids changed as a warranty item, much less sponginess now. Gotta give credit to GP M/C they took the bike in late afternoon and they worked on it till 10 at night so I could pick it up in this morning. Adjusted the TPS etc and lessened a slight flat spot I was feeling. It was very hard to say anything was wrong as I was new to the bike and it really ran great before and now maybe a tad better. Coolant leak has all but stopped, what fluid there is when I wipe it is really thick and gelled.
Highlight, I stopped by to see Desert-racer and he took the time to tweak my suspension settings. He even wrote down the clicks from the factory std should I want to revert . The freeway riding hammering is gone, took the backroads with lots of twisties and high speed sweepers and maybe a touch of more wallowing braking into the corners but just as responsive in and out and just as easy side to side. pure Bliss thanks Peter.
Rode the last half-hour in the dark, headlight was fine.
glad to hear this
one day i'll set up my suspension properly
the "hammering" when the pavement is less-than-smooth bounces me off the seat occasionally....
which is amazing, considering i'm 180#

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
403 Posts
What a great story. Meeting up with a 910R at the filling station. I haven't seen one MV on the road where I live ever! Glad you love it. Get a steering damper and some Arrow Mid-Pipes and feel the joy!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Get mine on saturday, just cant wait after reading that!

·
Registered
443 Posts
spalding12 said:
glad to hear this one day i'll set up my suspension properly.....
If you got yours at Euro Cycles Tampa - I'd say check it now. They set mine up and did the 600 mile check. When I got around to checking my suspension no settings were close to standard. Not only were some settings Soft while others Stiff, none of the left and right settings were the same. Just setting everything to standard really helped.

I (also 180#) now have Front: Preload 1, Rebound 15, Compression 11 and Rear Rebound 10, Highspeed 3, Low speed 14.

Tom
Weeki Wachee, Fl.
Gainesville, Mo.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts