MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my blue F4 1000 for a while now but it arrived with a faulty clutch lever & one of the mirrors has been bodged inside (which means it's even less use than it should be!).

I've also been waiting for my 999 to go as I didn't really want to have them both insured for the road.

Well, the new clutch lever is fitted (thanks EMoto), the mirror is workable (but still useless!) and the 999 has headed off to sunnier climes so I thought it might be good to get the F4 on the road at last.

Had to make up a temp number plate is it arrived without one but managed to cobble something together that almost looked legal - from a distance.

Bike started first time (something the Duc never did in all the time I owned it) and I went for a, supposedly, short spin round my local back roads.

I found the low speed fuelling and handling a bit "odd" and even wondered if there was something wrong but I think it may be a "they're all like that" kinda thing.

Once I was out of a decent stretch of open road I opened it up & acceleration felt vaguely similar to the 999 until the power really kicked in, at which point I thought it was going to take off!

After that my short spin became a much longer trip and I ignored the risk of having a "fake" plate on the bike and went for a decent ride. Low speed handling still feels quite alien to me but I guess I'll get used to that. High speed riding on fast and winding roads was great fun once I got used to the power band and gearing (which feels way lower than the Duc).

I have a general feeling that it's a harder bike to ride "well" than the 999 but that the extra effort will be worth it. The 999 is pretty much a "get on and ride" bike, apart from the tendency to run wide it's easy to get used to and inspires confidence very quickly.

The MV on the other hand almost felt like it was telling me to take it a bit easy until I really knew what I was doing or it would chew me up and spit me out.

Not much to choose between gearboxes on each bike and braking abilities seemed similar although the action and delivery was quite different. The Duc had fairly fierce brakes that would often bind up when cold, and then again when very hot. The MV brakes seemed to have a less immediate feel but, again, once I got used to them they felt really nice. Clutch action on the MV is way nicer than the Duc which often felt horrible at low speeds once it got hot (I know everyone mods their Duc clutches but I left mine stock as I knew I wasn't going to keep it long).

Front end on the F4 continued to feel a little twitchy and white lines and cambers in the road seemed to throw it off line quite easily. May need some general front end adjustment and the steering damper could do with being a little stiffer for my local roads. Tyres aren't ideal for these kinds of roads on a cold(ish) day either. Lots of things to play with then!

I didn't get much over 115mph but it certainly got there pretty rapidly and the sound of the totally stock cans was very infectious at just about any speed!

I'd say the 999 was generally more comfortable and I did get a slight back ache on the MV. However, this could again be down to the fact that I was having to concentrate more today and work a little harder on a new bike.

Ok - that's my brief comparison and first thoughts. I'm off to Cape Town for 2 weeks now so no chance to ahve another go for a while but quite excited about the thought of going out again soon.

·
Registered
367 Posts
molan said:
I'd say the 999 was generally more comfortable and I did get a slight back ache on the MV. However, this could again be down to the fact that I was having to concentrate more today and work a little harder on a new bike.
Yeh the more you ride the better it will get.

molan said:
Ok - that's my brief comparison and first thoughts.
I did a comparo to choose which bike to buy, and I hadden't ridden either of the bikes before it.
http://jonathan.thebuckland.com/?p=11

Glad I didn't get the 999 now that the 1098 is out :)

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Congrats on getting it out the shed....If the weather here ever goes below very high 30's (41C+ yesterday) I might be able to get back out there.

The riding position is slightly different which is why your muscles are probably a bit sore and it sounds like you need to get your suspension sorted also. Whats tyres are on the bike and what pressure were you running? As stated before the more you ride it the better it gets.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts