MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well where do i start,i will probably get crucified for this but here goes.

As you can see by the amount of posts i make, i just usually read them, rather than write anything.

I Had to ride home in the rain and hailstones today,and after reading about the slow speed fuelling,i made sure that the map was on normal rather than sports as i had to ride through Aberdeen city at peak traffic time,then a 50 miles run home on normal roads.
I have had bad fuelled bikes before as in gsxr's that were not running right, as i was fitting dynojet kits and messing around with jets/needle changes etc,but jesus the low down fuelling on this bike takes the biscuit.

From idle to 4500rpm it is all over the shop,i thought by some of the reports from others on here that it wouldn't be to "bad".

The throttle action does not match anything that happens low down,the engine acts as if you are putting on and off a manual choke,the revs cough and splutter,the revs seem to go high and low,on there own depending on throttle position,its as though the throttle cable is too slack and you have to play around with throttle position just to see what the engine is up too. ( i know there is no throttle cable ).

When going through town,taking off from junctions is quite hard as you can't judge what the revs are doing,and the mechanical noise from the cush drive is frightning,i was convinced the chain was far to tight,but no it was fine.Its like you are running around 3 gears too high.

I was told today that my bike had a upgrade in mapping #43 as the first ones had #42. Looking back, MCN was slightly kind to MV with there report,unless of course you can't ride them in the rain!!!

I have never owned or ridden a 3 cylinder bike before,but the engine seems quite vibey or rough,is this normal as im used to 4 cylinder.

This is my honest opinion about the fuelling,im not going to butter it up.I hope there is going to be a fix with this,as it does really spoil a superb bike.

Only put it up to 8000rpm today,but above the 5000rpm this engine is, and sounds great,im sure it will be an awsome bike.

Will keep updating my reports as i find them.

Attachments

·
Registered
352 Posts
I read somewhere on this forum that MotoGB were in the process of finalizing the updated mapping in terms of resourcing the IT infrastructure, maybe #43 is not the final mapping afterall.
I hope this gets sorted out soon...

·
Registered
1,217 Posts

As you can see by the amount of posts i make, i just usually read them, rather than write anything.

I Had to ride home in the rain and hailstones today,and after reading about the slow speed fuelling,i made sure that the map was on normal rather than sports as i had to ride through Aberdeen city at peak traffic time,then a 50 miles run home on normal roads.
I have had bad fuelled bikes before as in gsxr's that were not running right, as i was fitting dynojet kits and messing around with jets/needle changes etc,but jesus the low down fuelling on this bike takes the biscuit.

From idle to 4500rpm it is all over the shop,i thought by some of the reports from others on here that it wouldn't be to "bad".

The throttle action does not match anything that happens low down,the engine acts as if you are putting on and off a manual choke,the revs cough and splutter,the revs seem to go high and low,on there own depending on throttle position,its as though the throttle cable is too slack and you have to play around with throttle position just to see what the engine is up too. ( i know there is no throttle cable ).

When going through town,taking off from junctions is quite hard as you can't judge what the revs are doing,and the mechanical noise from the cush drive is frightning,i was convinced the chain was far to tight,but no it was fine.Its like you are running around 3 gears too high.

I was told today that my bike had a upgrade in mapping #43 as the first ones had #42. Looking back, MCN was slightly kind to MV with there report,unless of course you can't ride them in the rain!!!

I have never owned or ridden a 3 cylinder bike before,but the engine seems quite vibey or rough,is this normal as im used to 4 cylinder.

This is my honest opinion about the fuelling,im not going to butter it up.I hope there is going to be a fix with this,as it does really spoil a superb bike.

Only put it up to 8000rpm today,but above the 5000rpm this engine is, and sounds great,im sure it will be an awsome bike.

Very interesting, certainly not the news that you like to read, it seems strange that other riders are not reporting similar problems (or may not want to?)
Could you have not switched to rain mode?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Thanks for your honest write up.

Do you think you're experience was perhaps influenced by the weather and new bike nerves?

Clearly not many of you have ridden race bikes from the 90's, Ducatis or two strokes! power never used to exist below 4k anyway!

Sent from a silly little so called Smart phone.

·
Registered
87 Posts
First of all i want to concratulate you to the bike. As most of us first buyers You for sure fall in love with this F3 from the pics videos and the racetrack reports as i did. i bought the bike without even sitting on one.
The problems in the belov 4500rpm are well reported in this forum and we all hope it will become better.
But when You leave the town and You reach 6000 rpm this bike is beautifull.

·
Vendor
5,336 Posts
Great looking bike,its a shame about the fuelling.Hope it gets sorted real soon.

·
Registered
504 Posts
No question the fueling should be correct on a new machine, but that's one of the reasons they make Power Commanders. This can be fixed for less money than the first carbon fiber bangle.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I don't understand, that the bikes are that different with the fuleing problems. Did ride mine yesterday again one hour. Absolutely lovely, not perfect like I told many times, but no problem, that makes it "unrideable".

Perhaps it depends also a little bit on the rider I think and his feelings. Did ride a few years before a Ducati SS '96, the last bikes have been a modified two-stroke-mito 125 and a Harley 48. All no smooth bikes, I can tell ya...

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just to answer a few of the reply's,

Although it was raining,being a new bike and im not very computer literate,i wasn't going to stop at the side of the road in the rain to fiddle with the computer. I was only going slow through traffic so normal mode should be fine. In my opinion rain mode should be selected when you are riding in the rain and are riding fast, as the smoother power delivery should make you more confident to go faster.

Not to sound big headed, but i have 30 years riding experiance,so the rain or owning a new bike did not influence my write up,the fuelling is what it is. I have ridden plenty of badly ( low down )fuelled bikes race yamaha lc's being the worst.

Not trying to wind anyone up here, just reviewing what i found on my bike.

·
Registered
363 Posts
congrats on the purchase. Its funny that some have felt the fuelling is an issue while others feel its fine. You do have good experience with bikes and would surely know how a bike should behave at low speeds. I was told all sorts of faults when buying the brutale and the snatchy throttle was one of them but I just felt that the throttle was very responsive and quite like it actually. I hope that it gets sorted out quickly and you can enjoy the bike. Do keep updating us as you get more rides on your machine.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Just to answer a few of the reply's,

Although it was raining,being a new bike and im not very computer literate,i wasn't going to stop at the side of the road in the rain to fiddle with the computer. I was only going slow through traffic so normal mode should be fine. In my opinion rain mode should be selected when you are riding in the rain and are riding fast, as the smoother power delivery should make you more confident to go faster.

Not to sound big headed, but i have 30 years riding experiance,so the rain or owning a new bike did not influence my write up,the fuelling is what it is. I have ridden plenty of badly ( low down )fuelled bikes race yamaha lc's being the worst.

Not trying to wind anyone up here, just reviewing what i found on my bike.
I agree with the fuelling - from my test ride it was horrible under 4k and I even stalled 3 times in the parking lot.

That said - keep it over 4k even when going slow and it is fine...for me, that meant riding 1 gear lower than I would have expected to use in town (2 instead of 3 when traffic moving, 1 instead of 2 when slow traffic and feathering the clutch A LOT when in stop/go traffic).

Good luck and if no new maps from MV in the near future seriously think about an after-market map as I assume you intend for this bike to remain on the road where the poor fueling would be most noticed - I on the other hand intend it to live 90% at the track where it is never under 4k except in the pits.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Riding around towns is hard work but is not impossible, it just needs a little focus and planning ahead, so far I've not stalled mine once, try a lower gear, unless you were in first gear already.

I noticed this morning my chain needs adjusting already

·
Registered
233 Posts
we don't have a racetrack here... there is 1 near the capital city which is 983 km away from where i live :( which is why it would be better if it ride nicely and smooth from idle up to 4000 rpm :D

but yes i'm agree that is is okay.. you can still ride it :)

still running-in so i don't hwo this bike will in a full throttle and no limits..

·
Registered
6,025 Posts
'Fueling Issues' (Seems true after all)

Interesting reading Kev

So by the sound of things from what you are saying is that the articles recently published in MCN etc detailing fueling issues do indeed have semblance of validity after all.

The reason I mention it is that it was previously inferred by 'others' on this forum that the MCN journalists were complete idiots and as such they were 'Dissing' the F3 because the paper relied heavily on advertising from Triumph.

:popcorn:​

·
Registered
561 Posts
Ade, I never doubted what mcn said was true, it's exactly as they said to be honest, especially the quote "it doesn't like going slow"

I just didn't like reading it, I hung in there though and I'm glad I did, it's not perfect but it's rideable, it will get better hopefully.

Where I live I would say 80% of the time I'm above 4000 rpm, I agree with Kev it is slightly over 4k rpm too, when I am in those revs I change down to keep it above it, I've not experienced any problems pulling away.

The concern is only there when you are coasting or trying to hold a steady speed, it does not affect the acceleration from below 4000 rpm when you go through the gears, it's part to quarter throttle open that is struggles.

At least we can look forward to a fix, it would be boring if it came out perfect lol.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I just hope everyone is watching megafactories to see how these things are supposed to be ridden.

Sent from a silly little so called Smart phone.

·
Registered
318 Posts

Interesting reading Kev

So by the sound of things from what you are saying is that the articles recently published in MCN etc detailing fueling issues do indeed have semblance of validity after all.

The reason I mention it is that it was previously inferred by 'others' on this forum that the MCN journalists were complete idiots and as such they were 'Dissing' the F3 because the paper relied heavily on advertising from Triumph.

:popcorn:
I personally agree with what MCN stated.

However, when awarding the points in the review...i disagree.

When comparing to the Triumph 675R, the fueling was taken into account in the engine and value ratings.
Also, MV received negative feedback in reliability because "There’s no question it’s beautifully-built and well-finished, but it’s too early to say if it will be as bulletproof as the competition. Many current MV owners complain of spare parts supply, let’s hope it will be different for the F3."

MCN's 3 star rating is undeserved when compared to the Triumph 675R 4.5 - all because of 1 fault in first year of production...3.5 would be more in line with reality...i would even say 4 stars.

·
Registered
6,025 Posts
F3 for the 2012 TT races

The main issue is that after 2 years of hype and testing, and with folks tongues hanging out for this bike that it seems there are undeniable flaws.

The thrust of all of my posts was that it would be very sad indeed if MV found themselves in anything other than a 'sunny' position with this bike. From my understanding there is a great deal resting on it, the very last thing that MV Agusta needed was some sort of liability that would in the long term cost them money.

Sure it 'Can' and I have no doubt 'Will' be sorted out in due course, but unfortunately you cannot change first impressions especially when they have been committed to print by a paper like MCN.

Having said all that I still intend owning one of these bikes in the future as it looks like it'll be the ideal tool for here on the Isle of Man.

I believe there is one entered in the TT Races in 2 weeks time too, so the proof will certainly be in the pudding with all the comments about just how good a race bike it'll be. I'm sure everyone here 'like me' wishes the World Performance Racing team the very best of luck.

http://blog.motorcycle.com/2011/11/29/manufacturers/mv-agusta/mv-agusta-f4-and-f3-to-compete-in-2012-isle-of-man-tt/

The bull-shit stops when the flag drops!!​

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Interesting reading Kev

:popcorn:

When i was reading all the posts about this fuelling issue and the arguements that were around when MCN broke the news,it was hard to believe that a national motorcycle news paper would blatently lie about something as serious as this.
The views and comments from these people have brought this problem to MV and through them, we might get a quicker fix to this problem.

The other thing i noticed is the heat shielding that is around the exhaust downpipes was still very smoky when i came home,i take it it will be a few more miles before the newness is burnt off.

Anyway i had to go back offshore today for 2 weeks,so another long wait untill i get my second ride,and i will review that as honest as i can.
Here's hoping for some nice weather in 2 weeks.

You lads and lasses enjoy your F3's.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts