MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its been on about 20 months and never been charged but I went away for too long this time. I started it first time a couple of weeks ago no probs but I went to start it yesterday and I got a message Stop Eng battery 9.8v which I guess is the cut off point. Got to buy a charger now that won't kill it.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I charge mine with the stock charger, works just fine. Just dont leave the lithium battery plugged in long term like you do the lead acid batteries. Charge it overnight once every few weeks.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have an optimate with the automatic desulphate thing that puts a reverse charge through before it charges. Conventional wisdom says this will kill a lithium stone dead and I'm not going to be the person who volunteers to find out. Anyway I've ordered a lithium friendly one.

I never got the original charger with the bike.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I have an optimate with the automatic desulphate thing that puts a reverse charge through before it charges. Conventional wisdom says this will kill a lithium stone dead and I'm not going to be the person who volunteers to find out. Anyway I've ordered a lithium friendly one.

I never got the original charger with the bike.

Ive read to avoid chargers that have the desulphate feature.

The stock charger doesnt have that from what Ive read and experienced as my LiPo is still going strong.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jono, I have to say "You are truly special mate"..........what are you thinking ?

Well I'm mainly hoping you haven't chosen now to come out.

Or were you still talking about batteries? I know stuff goes off topic around here.....

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The lithium is dead. Just wouldn't charge. Anyway I just got a regular lead acid. It's fine....

It was 18 months old. I guess I just let it sit too long although that's supposed to be one of the things they're good at.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
What the? You guys aren't riding enough! :)

·
Super Moderator
22,071 Posts
Well I'm mainly hoping you haven't chosen now to come out.

Or were you still talking about batteries? I know stuff goes off topic around here.....
So you obviously took no notice of the various instructions which comes along with the use of a Lithium battery, or any battery for that matter, from the manufacturer and from various threads here on the forum. :loser: And to hide your ignorance/arrogance you try to figure out my sexual preferences, I doubt that you'll know the difference mate. :naughty:
Besides that, it's good to have you back again.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nope. I took great care with it and followed the destructions knowing that I could fubar it. I used a lithium-friendly charger but it just wont take a charge. There are no 'rules' about letting lithiums discharge and the time I tried it before it didn't work it started perfectly. I didn't ride it that time but let it run for a few minutes. A week or so later I tried it again and nada. I hadn't charged it or left anything on in the meanwhile.

Very reassuring to know you don't have a crush on me and I' m sure you're special too.

·
Super Moderator
22,071 Posts

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I used to have Harley twin cam that I punched out to 1550 with cams, milled heads etc etc and it was a battery killer to start. I put a shorai li on it because I was too cheap to do decompressors and I never had a problem after that. It was on 3 years - I never charged it, I sometimes left it for 6 - 8 weeks and it started 1st prod every time. Last I heard it was still on the bike. I never treated this one any worse and the MV has an awful lot less metal to turn over than the HD.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts