MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Brutale 910R just came back from the dealer. They replaced the CDI with the new 3rd Gen CDI. There is no stalling, the Bikes handles SOOOOO much better! I have to say that I couldn't be happier!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Ben, glad to hear you finally got the bike fixed. Must have been driving you crazy waiting. I'll be down at GP for tyres and minor warranty work later this month.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Mine got the same fix and turned out just like yours. What a ride!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Does anyone know if the 06' 910S would have an updated CDI available to fix the surge? My 910S is still under warranty and is very unpredicable accelerating coming out of corners, despite modding the return springs, etc. The lack of throttle control bothers me and I just can't quite get comfortable riding it, even cautiously.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Jeremy99 said:
Does anyone know if the 06' 910S would have an updated CDI available to fix the surge? My 910S is still under warranty and is very unpredicable accelerating coming out of corners, despite modding the return springs, etc. The lack of throttle control bothers me and I just can't quite get comfortable riding it, even cautiously.
have you, or the dealer, checked that the TPS and CO% are within spec and the throttle bodies sync-ed? This makes a big difference, and apparently not all dealers are meticulous in their delivery set-up.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Just had my CDI replaced on my 06 and surgeing does not go away!! SORRY TO SAY!! I really don't see a differance other then it hasn't hick up'd and stalled.YET!

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
mrossk said:
have you, or the dealer, checked that the TPS and CO% are within spec and the throttle bodies sync-ed? This makes a big difference, and apparently not all dealers are meticulous in their delivery set-up.
I am going back and making sure it is done!!

·
Administrator
20,083 Posts
The surge at mid-rpm steady cruise, corrected with new ECU, is a problem for some Euro3 bikes. The "abrupt" throttle is a function of the fabulous performance and right wrist control. Personally, that is one of the reasons I came back from the test ride with a huge grin and bought the bike.

If you will learn smooth throttle application, abruptness will become an asset rather then a detriment. It IS a Brutale, after all.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
esq'z me said:
The surge at mid-rpm steady cruise, corrected with new ECU, is a problem for some Euro3 bikes. The "abrupt" throttle is a function of the fabulous performance and right wrist control. Personally, that is one of the reasons I came back from the test ride with a huge grin and bought the bike.

If you will learn smooth throttle application, abruptness will become an asset rather then a detriment. It IS a Brutale, after all.
My problem isn't abruptness of the throttle believe me I have good throttle control. It's the jerking of the engine or surging as other will call it that gets me bunched in the panties!! It's when your between speeds while behind cars on a back road or traffic. I know it has to do with the TPS being off which I thought the shop did when they installed new CDI?? But after talking to mechanic he said nope. So she is going back in and then we will see????

·
Registered
186 Posts
esq'z me said:
The "abrupt" throttle is a function of the fabulous performance and right wrist control.
Not on my bike. The abrupt throttle is because there is no way to run the motor between 1100 (idle) and 2000 rpm.

At idle in neutral, stopped.

Try your best to hold the rpms at 1600.

·
Registered
233 Posts
CHB said:
My problem isn't abruptness of the throttle believe me I have good throttle control. It's the jerking of the engine or surging as other will call it that gets me bunched in the panties!! It's when your between speeds while behind cars on a back road or traffic. I know it has to do with the TPS being off which I thought the shop did when they installed new CDI?? But after talking to mechanic he said nope. So she is going back in and then we will see????
the engine "jerks" because a) there is no weighted flywheel to provide rotational inertia, and b) your chain may have too much slack. with proper practice, you can ride without the bike ever jerking once, even on an engine that has no stable rpm value between 1200 and 2000. it's done by using the brake and throttle simultaneously so as to keep the engine from ever engine-braking. it is the transition from engine-braking to engine-accleration that causes the "jerk". constantly keeping the engine pushing forward, i.e. no engine braking, (when the clutch is out) eliminates this symptom. too much chain slack exacerbates this symptom.

·
Administrator
20,083 Posts
t1n0m3n said:
Not on my bike. The abrupt throttle is because there is no way to run the motor between 1100 (idle) and 2000 rpm.

At idle in neutral, stopped.

Try your best to hold the rpms at 1600.
This bike was never designed to be ridden around at those low rpms. You need to twist the throttle man, or downshift. You are lugging the engine.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
ridesideways said:
the engine "jerks" because a) there is no weighted flywheel to provide rotational inertia, and b) your chain may have too much slack. with proper practice, you can ride without the bike ever jerking once, even on an engine that has no stable rpm value between 1200 and 2000. it's done by using the brake and throttle simultaneously so as to keep the engine from ever engine-braking. it is the transition from engine-braking to engine-accleration that causes the "jerk". constantly keeping the engine pushing forward, i.e. no engine braking, (when the clutch is out) eliminates this symptom. too much chain slack exacerbates this symptom.
My problem is at higher RPM range and I know of the :jerkoff:ing motion you speak of and have been told the same from dealer. My surge is at 3500 to 5000 RPM range. I don't even know how some can even ride there bike at idle RPM's??
I was at the shop yesterday and the service manager is getting the bike in next week and is going to reset the O2 and TPS. He rode the bike and agrees the fueling is off.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The abruptness for me started after I took off my Cat and replaced it with a midpipe. I bought the Brutale 901S for it's "holy crap" feeling after having previously owned several street and race bikes. What's different now is that I feel like I could easily kill myself due to virtually zero control of accelleration in and out of corners, and it's not from lack of a subtle control of the wrist, it's a definite non-rider problem. It makes me not want to ride it, and that never be because I am scared of speed, I am scared of not having control of my own life and safety.

Likely I'll try and put the cat back on if I cannot solve it with a new CDI and checking the TPS, CO% and fuel mixture, etc.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Hover_Warrior said:
CHB did you get the 2nd Gen CDI of the 3rd, the 2nd still had the same problems.
It is the 3rd generation as far as I know. Jerremy99 I don't experience any of the feelings you are having. I am certain my issue is what has been said by others TPS and O2 settings.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Jeremy99 said:
The abruptness for me started after I took off my Cat and replaced it with a midpipe.
Jeremy, was the midpipe the only change? Did you try putting the cat back on to make sure the midpipe was the culprit?

Please keep us informed. I'd like to replace the cat with the midpipe to get the bike to run cooler. But, if it causes fueling issues I won't bother.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
WEell the bike is back in the shop. It stalled on my coming up to a stop sign, and then wouldn't restart. The battery was dead after driving it for 10 mins. I'm starting to regret my purchase...

·
Registered
119 Posts
so now... any of you with new gen-3 cdi suffer the headlight/highbeam flicker bug? if you had the quirk i speak of, you would have noticed the gremlin when fans initiated. has the new cdi fixed it?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts