MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I am finally down in washington (longview to be exact) and FINALLY have internet access. I'm a little dumbfounded right now. I'm like a dear in the headlights after moving to washington from po dunk wasilla, alaska. a few thoughts....

Holy crap there are soooooo many people down here. I went to Moto Corsa in Portland to check it out (very nice shop BTW) and Portland traffic sucks ass. traffic jams at 3pm....both ways on I-5. All I could think of is how to get my bike in for servicing when it needs it...2010 or not....that thing is surely going to overheat in that crap. A trailer it is I guess.

Second concern....E10 fuel everywhere.....I am so worried my gas tank is going to expand like the way of the ducati and aprilias....only being mv I'll likely never be able to get a replacement. Folks at Moto Corsa reccomended Star Tron fuel additive and from what I read it sounds like it will slow down the problem, but it can still occur. I then looked into Caswell gas tank coating (an actual epoxy you apply). Looks promising, but I don't trust myself to do it right. Anyone know of any place that will do it for you? I then went to pure gas web site which lists E10 free gas stations....only problem is half are out of date and half only have 87 octane ethanol free fuel. Only thing I found is this "Pacific Pride" stations that are for commercial use and require a special card (for which I applied....see if that works). Maybe I am just being paranoind, but I don't want my gas tank expanding on my beautiful italian. It has me not wanting to ride it until I find a good solution, not just theories about what might work.

Did I mention there are too many damn people? Geez....birth control...ever hear of it??? Do the future generations a favor.

It was nice and easy in Alaska open roads....sure only 3 months of riding...but they were true bliss. I am afraid of riding here for fear of being creamed by some old person (of which there are a lot), getting caught by the many traffic cams or cops for speeding, or just not enjoying a ride having to commute through stop light after stop light.

I'm going to cry....850 miles so far all in alaska....:bawling:

I think I have been secluded for too long

glad to be back though....I think...:f4:

·
Registered
5,076 Posts
Coating the inside of the tank is the solution. Problem is finding stuff that won't eat the plastic or not adhere and start flaking off. I use tank sealer from Hirsch on my alu tanks (always coat them) but it eats plastic. Stay away from "cream" coating. Garbage.

Coating a tank is really easy. Get the full kit with sealer, cleaner and prep (prepares the surface for a good bond). If you can find one for plastic tanks. Clean it out by sloshing the cleaner around inside for a good amount of time. Let it dry. Prep it the same way. Then pour in the coating (I always buy quarts as the "motorcyle" size kits aren't enough) and slosh it around really well. Then drain it back into the can and let the tank dry. Do a second coat the same way.

Never ever had any leak problems doing it.

If you find a plastic friendly coating please post it as I'd like to do my Duc and Aprilia tanks.

·
Registered
643 Posts
if you don't commute on it then just find a place to sell you good race gas. you can get pure and clean gas that way, but it's more $$. I don't ride a lot, so I just buy a 55 gallon drum and stick it in the garage. It lasts me about 6-10 months. Good luck, Washington is so beautiful (when it's not raining)

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
if you don't commute on it then just find a place to sell you good race gas. you can get pure and clean gas that way, but it's more $$. I don't ride a lot, so I just buy a 55 gallon drum and stick it in the garage. It lasts me about 6-10 months. Good luck, Washington is so beautiful (when it's not raining)
how much do you pay?

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Coating the inside of the tank is the solution. Problem is finding stuff that won't eat the plastic or not adhere and start flaking off. I use tank sealer from Hirsch on my alu tanks (always coat them) but it eats plastic. Stay away from "cream" coating. Garbage.

Coating a tank is really easy. Get the full kit with sealer, cleaner and prep (prepares the surface for a good bond). If you can find one for plastic tanks. Clean it out by sloshing the cleaner around inside for a good amount of time. Let it dry. Prep it the same way. Then pour in the coating (I always buy quarts as the "motorcyle" size kits aren't enough) and slosh it around really well. Then drain it back into the can and let the tank dry. Do a second coat the same way.

Never ever had any leak problems doing it.

If you find a plastic friendly coating please post it as I'd like to do my Duc and Aprilia tanks.

Any ideas on this stuff?
http://www.caswellplating.com/aids/epoxygas.htm

I saw it on the ducati forum

·
Registered
152 Posts
kawininja,

Welcome to the area and indeed traffic on I-5 is horrible but there are other ways to get into PDX.

Regarding local roads, there are some fantastic ones - My favorite one indeed is very close to where you are! Perhaps we could meet in Clatskanie, OR someday and I can show you around a bit.

If you are not busy on Monday (22nd) I will be on PIR for a Motocorsa track day with my 312R. Come by and say hello!

PM me for local road info, etc.

Cheers!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Any ideas on this stuff?
http://www.caswellplating.com/aids/epoxygas.htm

I saw it on the ducati forum
That is the conventional wisdom on all the Ducati lists and forums I am on. My MV tank is metal are there plastic tanks?

Ducati changed the Monster tank to a type of plastic that will hold up to the ethanol fuels. That is why it has that body work that is bolted to the outside of the tank. Same thing they did with the Hypermotard.

Jim

·
Registered
475 Posts
Come to the 2-fast trackday at PIR on Friday! Portland may have more traffic than AK, but it sure as hell has better racetracks.

You can pit with me and I will have my 2010 F4 out there along with my racebike!

2-fast.org

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I might just need to head down for the track day in portland! I am not at all set up to run a track day, but it might be fun to come down and watch you guys and meet you all.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That is the conventional wisdom on all the Ducati lists and forums I am on. My MV tank is metal are there plastic tanks?

Ducati changed the Monster tank to a type of plastic that will hold up to the ethanol fuels. That is why it has that body work that is bolted to the outside of the tank. Same thing they did with the Hypermotard.

Jim
The 2010 and newer models have acerbis plastic tanks

·
Registered
456 Posts
ducati has not changed their tanks they are having problems with expansion on the old monster plastic tanks and the new monster plastic tanks. in the usa the tanks of made of one material and in the EU and ooverseas they are made of a different material, the USA tanks are the ones with the problems.

the brutale plastic tanks are made by the same company but appear to be made a bit better somehow and have not experienced these problems, as noted by people with 06 and older brutales that are plastic tanks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts