MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Would it be ok to use an electric impact wrench to remove the filler plug on my F4, I have been trying ro remove it but is in tight very tight, used WD-40 and did not work, so I was thinking to use the electric impact tool, yes or no? any advise would be much appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
22,876 Posts
Which filler plug and on which F4?

The general answer is NO!

·
Super Moderator
22,876 Posts
Thinking about this, if you used a very light setting and went carefully with a well fitted hex wrench, then MAYBE.

It is highly unusual for this device to stick.

Is it cross threaded?

·
Super Moderator
22,876 Posts
There is, or should be, an o-ring seal on that device. Penetrating oil wouldn't be able to go past that to help.

What I would try first would be to use a well fitting hex and a longer wrench handle or breaker bar. Apply a steady force in the counter-clockwise direction and maintain that force. While holding the force, use a light hammer to tap the wrench into the cap. This action should help break any sticiton caused by what, I suppose, may be corrosion in that joint.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Silent service, I'll try to use a longer wrench or a pipe extender, my 3/8 drive is only about 8" my last resort is the electric impact, as you say it can be rust. I appreciate your input very much. All the best.

·
Super Moderator
22,876 Posts
Rust would be strange, although moisture will accumulate under that cap.

I am very interested in your findings.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The freaking plug is off. After you didn't think the impact wrench was a good idea, Home depot was my next stop to purchase 3/4 X 2ft lenght of galvanized pipe as an extension for my wrench, and that did the trick, the freaking plug was off without any problem. BTW there was no rust, and there was an O ring, it was just the wrench short handle Thanks again Silentservice.

·
Registered
14,683 Posts
??

Too funny, you folks work on bikes and don't have an impact screwdriver?????
Go on eBay search SnapOn PIT-120
Bought mine 43 years ago, bought one for my Father, it's still in the box found one at the junkyard
One's at Mom's
The only tool to use on tight Phillips head screws....period!

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts