MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Since i decided to make the new spark plug leads, i might put new coils to go with them.

Question is, has anyone of you used the 1.2 litre Fiat coils on the "old" style MV? I mean the twin coil setup on a bracket.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Today we will see, i bought a new Punto coil for 10,5 euros.

It has roughly the same values, so why not! I will let you know....

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
I believe they are compatible, I was recommended to go for one that would also fit an Alfa.

If they work sling the part number on here as MV don't hold them anymore and they are £180 each NOS

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
18,852 Posts
12 volt ignition coils are all pretty much the same other than packaging.... we used to get hotter coils for our 1970's Yamaha race bikes because the OEM were weak. Automotive coils hose clamped to the frame with a ballast resistor so the points wouldn't burn too badly. This was pre-CDI/TCI ignition.

If the packaging will allow mounting then I will wager they will work just fine.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They are compatible, havent had time to install, but they have almost the same values when measured with multimeter.

Looks like its gona be saturday before i have the time to try them out.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In the stage of building the leads, but the first one i made has a resistance of 3.7K. Manual suggest 4.5 - 5.5K, not sure if i can install these? What do you think guys?

·
Registered
5,024 Posts
Other than saving money, is there anything else you're trying to accomplish by using non-MV spec parts?

·
Registered
5,024 Posts
Ah. Makes sense now

·
Super Moderator
21,442 Posts
I think you'll have a hotter spark.....

Can you get lead material with a higher resistance/foot?

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Added 30 millimetres to the lead, its roughly 4 - 4.2 between them all, that is close enough not to cause any trouble.

Also the values dont shoot up with heat like the OEM did. By the way, the old stock ones were between 7 - 11K, so no wonder its skippin a few beats...

How many guys with stalling issues have changed the leads/coils? Now im even more confident than ever that these will cause serious issues with heat, even when new cos the material is low quality, not to mention 15 years of heat cycles and use!

My 996 Duke had values of 1,5 - 1,8K with magnecor wires, it totally transformed the bike when i installed them. Sadly i didn`t measure the old OEM ones.

Will keep you posted :)

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Idle jumped up 250rpm to 1650rpm, it is a different bike on, and near idle, runs as smooth as butter!!

Why was i even doubting that replacing 15 year old leads and coils wasn't a good idea.

Stalling is gone....

·
Super Moderator
21,442 Posts
@ViggenF4: Glad to hear the new coils sorted your stalling issue. Now you should lower your idle speed back to spec. I am sure that is on your agenda.

If I could ask you to put your bike model and year into your signature line through TOOLS>USER CP>SETTINGS AND OPTIONS> EDIT YOUR SIGNATURE

Because of the coils you were seeking, I assume the bike is a 750 F4. Having this info in you signature helps those who would want to help you.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Oh yeah, the coils are from Fiat Punto/Panda/Stilo 99 - 05. You can go to your local parts store and ask a reference coils for BAE 800B, used also on many Alfas, Lancias, Maseratis.... you name it.

Here is one place if too lazy to go on the counter :) https://www.bestpartstore.co.uk/7807441-champion-ignition-coil

I used Accel 7mm leads and oem plug caps, but next time im gona use Alfa 164 caps. For the caps there are lots of choices, since surprisingly many manufacturers make caps with the same dimensions and values.

Now go change yours, but do your own research on the caps, im not promising what you can or cant use.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Oh yeah, the coils are from Fiat Punto/Panda/Stilo 99 - 05. You can go to your local parts store and ask a reference coils for BAE 800B, used also on many Alfas, Lancias, Maseratis.... you name it.

Here is one place if too lazy to go on the counter :) https://www.bestpartstore.co.uk/7807441-champion-ignition-coil

I used Accel 7mm leads and oem plug caps, but next time im gona use Alfa 164 caps. For the caps there are lots of choices, since surprisingly many manufacturers make caps with the same dimensions and values.

Now go change yours, but do your own research on the caps, im not promising what you can or cant use.
BY "oem plug caps" do you mean that the end boots are reusable? You were able to replace just the wire and terminal ends while reusing the boots?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts