MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FYI -

Ferracci sells an Oil Filter Wrench that is perfect (at least for the Brutale R). He doesn't list it on his web site, but if you call, they have them. Specially designed for the MV. You don't have to dick around with removing pipes or removing anything for that matter. It slips over the end of the filter and has a 17mm hex built into it, so you can use a "box end" wrench to reach up and loosen or tighten the filter. Takes 2 seconds to remove or install the filter. I wish I would have known about it before my first oil change! $15 US. :guitarist

Later~

·
Registered
8,860 Posts
huskynox, i'm sure this information will help many!

How about a registry submission :) with some photos of your beauty! :stickpoke

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
huskynox said:
FYI -

Ferracci sells an Oil Filter Wrench that is perfect (at least for the Brutale R). He doesn't list it on his web site, but if you call, they have them. Specially designed for the MV. You don't have to dick around with removing pipes or removing anything for that matter. It slips over the end of the filter and has a 17mm hex built into it, so you can use a "box end" wrench to reach up and loosen or tighten the filter. Takes 2 seconds to remove or install the filter. I wish I would have known about it before my first oil change! $15 US. :guitarist

Later~

The honda ones will fit perfectly. I brought this for about $9.00 AUD. Oh the honda filter will also work. The honda filter is much longer giving you more surface area for filtering the nasties.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I found a wrench similar to the Honda unit pictured with a 3/8 inch square drive hole in place of the hex nut. Think I paid about $6.00 USD at the local auto parts store.

·
Registered
779 Posts
This is the honda Filter that fits on the F4 1000.
15410 MFJ-D01. Don't forget the Honda filter removal cap as well, works great.

http://mvagusta.net/forum/images/smilies/f4.gif
Also, The Honda filter / cap wrench can be sold as a kit (cheaper that way for some weird reason) - ask your Honda parts guy.

As a side note, only use the cap wrench to loosen, hand tighten the oil filter is plenty. The cap wrench will strip easily if filter is over torqued.

·
Registered
70 Posts
The honda ones will fit perfectly. I brought this for about $9.00 AUD. Oh the honda filter will also work. The honda filter is much longer giving you more surface area for filtering the nasties.
Just because it "fits" doesnt mean its right.....

You realize different filters have different pressure relief valve sizes/pressures right? what your honda calls for, may not be what mv calls for....

also, although a longer filter allows for more "nasties" filtering, being as close to the header, it also means additional heat soak/coking of the oil in the filter.

·
Administrator
19,116 Posts

You realize different filters have different pressure relief valve sizes/pressures right? what your honda calls for, may not be what mv calls for....

also, although a longer filter allows for more "nasties" filtering, being as close to the header, it also means additional heat soak/coking of the oil in the filter.
+1....oil filters may screw on but that doesn't mean it's the right filter. There is more to it then just the thread pitch and OD.

·
King of Bling
9,811 Posts
I'm with ONAGER and Ed on this one...:yo:

Be very careful and thorough with your homework on the suitability of the oil filter you’re using on your MV..

<O:pSometimes it takes quite a while before long term damage rears its ugly head.. Things might appear fine for now, but you can’t foresee any premature internal engine wear..

<O:pPersonally I’d stick with the OEM oil fiter.. :stickpoke<O:p

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
MV nor Honda makes their own oil filter. The OEM honda and the OEM MV filter comes from the same factory.

I''ve cracked open an OEM MV filter and an OEM honda filter and measured the spring release pressure and there is about 0.2kg difference between filters, so you be the judge or do your own test.

Both filters had about 5000km of riding but don't take my word for it as your motor might blow up and punch a nice hole in the block if you use a Honda filter.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts