MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

Before asking a question about the above title I wanted to say hello and introduce myself. About two weeks ago I was riding down I-97 on my CBR600RR when I heard this ungodly roar come up from behind me. At first I thought it was an exotic car, checked my mirrors and couldn't really see anything to match the sound and then this silver and blue streak blasted past me well over 100mph. With the hairs on the back of my neck straight up I speeded up to see what it was. Long story short, I motioned for the guy to pull over so I could check out his bike, an MV Agusta. I'll tell you know that I've been riding for about 2 years, am obsessed with motorcycles, and had previously seen pictures of MVs but that day will be etched in my mind forever. The rider was gracious enough to allow me to drool over his MV, looking it all over, and I have to say that it truly is a work of art in motion. Since having that experience I am dead-set on having one of my own in the near future. Thankfully, I'm divorced with no kids and its actually a dream that can be realized. Right now the plan is for a F4 1000S in red & silver.

Getting to the topic of this post I was checking out Ferracci's website and saw yesterday that they have 4 demo bikes they will have out this Friday and Saturday. I have this weekend off and plan on riding up to Willow Grove, PA from Maryland on Saturday. I was wondering if any of you know if there are stipulations for getting to ride one of the demo bikes such as a deposit, letter of intent, etc. I really, REALLY hope to get a chance to ride one but even if its not to happen I would ride up anyway to just see them and check out the showroom. I'm also thinking of bringing my DVD camcorder to record it all and hopefully get some clips of the bikes.

If anyone could offer some thoughts or insights it would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
604 Posts
Aloysius, hello and welcome to the site. Lots of info and friendly people here. Good luck on your purchase. :yo:

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
if its a true demo all you should need is a motorcycle endorsement and proof of insurance.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi DDNuts :)

Thanks for the warm welcome and wanted to say that I like that video you posted. I too will be broke by the time I buy mine, along with wheels and exhaust.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Matty said:
if its a true demo all you should need is a motorcycle endorsement and proof of insurance.
Good deal. I have my Maryland "M" endorsement and my insurance card. Maybe I'm paranoid but I think I'll bring a copy of my spotless driving record and MSF certificate too.

·
MV Cellist
4,595 Posts
Welcome Aloysius ... it is not uncommon to be able to test ride these bikes at a MV dealers, just bring your license, perhaps a credit card... do call them and ask them what is required to take a test ride.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
looks like maryland is becoming thicker with MV's. if we can only get together one day. no comment chris.....:toothless:

·
Registered
337 Posts
i though it might have been me but i'm on a red/silver...i'm always crising around I-97....if you are going to purchase i would recommend NAW in Dunmore PA....it's further away than FBF....i have to drive up there for a service this month.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Oh... you hit a nerve.

A few years back, I paid $5,000 for a 15 minute demo ride. Long story short: I dropped off a bike for service; the dealer insisted I take a demo and come back later.

Signed a waiver, took the demo, got creamed by a deer. When I learned to walk again, I paid $5k as stipulated in the *$&#* waiver.

Just a caveat emptor for you. You likely know that MC insurance follows the bike, not the rider. This is different than cars, where you can take my car out and crash it... and call your insurance company to cover damages. On most bike policies, the policy covers the bike in the policy... not any other bike you might take out.

So, when trying out a demo, I'd recommend you keep an eye out for waivers. They're not just fancy paperwork: you WILL pay for damages as specified in the waiver. Some shops have no cost limit - you'd basically have to buy the totaled bike. And your insurer won't help you out. I'm talking cash here, sports fans. Yes, you can threaten litigation and all, but you're pretty much barking up a useless tree. The waiver says "you break it, you pay for it." And your insurance company says "hey, we don't insure that bike."

And you might also ask the dealer about the insurance on the bike. Okay, it's sort of a fussy thought, but I can tell you it's cheaper to have the conversation before you ride than it is to pay after you ride.

In any case, keep us posted on the result -- you may need to have your smile chisled off when you return the bike...

TC

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Guys,

Thomas is right. You crash a demo bike and you pay for it. Certainly his lesson has taught me NOT to be so quick to ride ANY one elses bikes.

Peter

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Welcome Aloysius, Have a safe enjoyable test ride and best of luck with your future purchase.

tc, sorry to hear about your misfortune on that test ride and glad to see that you’re riding (and walking) again.

I have had my only traffic accident on a test ride (plenty of learning crashes in the hills in my younger days on my first bike...all I thankfully walked away from). I was riding my first GSXR750 at the time and was looking at racing 250's so I took a new TZR250 out it was great took it through the hills...it was very hot, the tyres were crap and it was sliding a lot but the bike was very light and very easy to control. On my way back to the dealers I decided to stop in and show the bike to a friend who worked close by. I was taking of from the traffic lights on the inside lane and shortly after crossing the intersection the person in front of me indicates to pull into a driveway and swings out wide (taking up the entire lane) to turn in so I indicate, quickly glance over my shoulder as I'm changing and bang bang bang...there's a 5 car chain collision in the lane I'm changing into...I luckily was at the rear of it and jumped on the brakes the bike stats sliding and for a moment I thought I was going to be able to slide the bike around the car but I just clipped the outside corner and the bike flicked out and proceeded to slid into the path of oncoming traffic, fortunately without me but unfortunately for the bike as it was struck and the front wheel pushed through the radiator and a whole bunch of other nasty stuff. Sadly for me it was a very rare day where I was not wearing protective gear, I mentioned it was hot, that particular day was 43.5C (110F) and was only wearing a t-shirt and received the worst gravel rash I have ever had and as a keen road cyclist I'd seen my share of pavement.

The accident was witnessed by a well respected owner of a chain crash repair store who came over to see if I was okay and offered his help in getting the bike back to the store.

As you can imagine the bike shop was more concerned about the bike than it was with me despite my one forearm being entirely red and the other not far behind...oh and the hip and both knees cooped it too...they started looking at me a bit funny when they noticed my bike had no fairings on it (I had dropped it in a friends driveway when I took off with the steering lock on...minor scratches that were fixed in a few of days) and made me write up declaration of what happened before I could leave to attend to my wounds (If I had been a little older and wiser I would have told them where to go but you live and learn).

The end result was I was not asked to pay for the bike. I did have to attend the hospital regularly for bandage changes for the next couple of weeks.

The weird thing is I've never been a superstitious person and still am not really but I had a run of bad luck with the bike at that time including the accident which all happened while wearing a particular t-shirt. The first was dropping the bike in my friends driveway, the second was some prick in a 4WD backed into it knocked it over stood it up and pissed off...the bike didn't have the fairings on at the time but both levers were broken and a bunch of other minor stuff and the third was the accident...which incidentally did not finish off the shirt...it somehow came through relatively unscathed...until I realised that this series of unfortunate events may have been more that just bad luck and the t-shirt was promptly destroyed and I've been accident free since then.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
tclinton said:
you may need to have your smile chisled off when you return the bike...

TC
You have no idea. :laughing:

Unfortunately I read your post after getting back but thanks for looking out anyway. I didnt have any close calls and I'm glad that I wasnt nervous, or so nervous to where I wouldnt have enjoyed the ride. When leaving for PA this morning I forgot to bring my insurance card so they took my debit card. They would have gotten a laugh if something had happened and they tried taking the amount for repairs off of it. We would have had to work out a payment plan or something.

I also wanted to thank everyone for the warm welcome. :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts