MV Agusta Forum banner

Fast Bike's Dream Twins footage (SB8R v. 999SPS)

3K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  OZBOY998S 
#1 · (Edited)
Fast Bike's Dream Twins footage (SB8R v. 996SPS)

Although the VHS has been out for quite a while, I didn't think much of it until I saw this footage over at Speedzilla. This segment hits home because I have these bikes in the garage. These guys are loonies!!! :yo:

Enjoy!!!

http://www.dailymotion.com/novattitude/video/xgb2i_ducati-996-vs-bimota-sb8r

[Alvin, move the thread to Media section if you think this thread is more appropriate there] :)

#10 ·
(Sorry, can't resist this one.)

Ahh yes. Fast Bikes. Back when it was quite possibly the worst publication in existence. Requirements for employment at Fast Bikes at that time:

1. Illiteracy
2. Stupidity
3. Belief that you are a sex god
4. Act like whatever happens is what you do all the time in "normal" life, including wadding up expensive bikes which belong to private owners, because no manufacturer will lend bikes for actual tests.

No articles or "tests" had any solid conclusions, it was utter crap. The guy "narrating" is the worst offender, he did an MV video too. Horribly.

I'm not sure what this video proves David, other than that these are a few dickweeds.

#12 ·
acruhl said:
(Sorry, can't resist this one.)

Ahh yes. Fast Bikes. Back when it was quite possibly the worst publication in existence. Requirements for employment at Fast Bikes at that time:

1. Illiteracy
2. Stupidity
3. Belief that you are a sex god
4. Act like whatever happens is what you do all the time in "normal" life, including wadding up expensive bikes which belong to private owners, because no manufacturer will lend bikes for actual tests.

No articles or "tests" had any solid conclusions, it was utter crap. The guy "narrating" is the worst offender, he did an MV video too. Horribly.

I'm not sure what this video proves David, other than that these are a few dickweeds.
What this "video proves" is the "true" capabilities of these bikes on the road and how exhilarating they can be to ride if you have the skill / balls and inclination to ride them in this fashion!

And as your "no solid conclusions" statement if that were the case what about Triumph refusing to let them test their bikes after they said the TT600 was crap? Who was it who pXssed on Honda's parade and said the SP1 / RC51 was no match for the Ducati etc etc?

Colin Schiller is a good friend of mine and whilst he was no trained and tamed journalist your comments are way off the mark. In it's day fast bikes was about fun and they helped bring about a resurgence in sportsbike culture in the UK, Europe and beyond.

BTW MV and Ducati still loved them and were more than happy to lend them bikes to test, of course both these companies have true passion are run by true enthusiasts not business men and recognise this in others. :rant:

#13 ·
I'm sure he's a wonderful guy. He likes bikes, that's great.

He just missed his calling. Or whoever was the overall editor did, for sure. It was difficult to read with all the spelling errors, articles cut off, pictures pasted over text, etc. It was really poor quality. Nice pictures though. And I think they employed Shane Byrne way back, didn't they? That was inspired.

I have memories of numerous mistakes, useless journalistic wanking, etc. Back when I was buying that magazine (not many times though), I was in school where a dollar really mattered to me. It annoyed me how bad it was. They've improved recently though, I just bought the latest one when I was over in the UK last week. Getting better I suppose.

#15 ·
acruhl said:
I'm sure he's a wonderful guy. He likes bikes, that's great.

He just missed his calling. Or whoever was the overall editor did, for sure. It was difficult to read with all the spelling errors, articles cut off, pictures pasted over text, etc. It was really poor quality. Nice pictures though. And I think they employed Shane Byrne way back, didn't they? That was inspired.

I have memories of numerous mistakes, useless journalistic wanking, etc. Back when I was buying that magazine (not many times though), I was in school where a dollar really mattered to me. It annoyed me how bad it was. They've improved recently though, I just bought the latest one when I was over in the UK last week. Getting better I suppose.
Yes you're right it was very amateurish and the reasons for this were simpe all the guys working on the magazine were amateurs. None of them had a background in journalism and fast bikes was more of a "fanzine" than a true magazine. A lot of former FB test riders have gone on to bigger and better things including Shane Byrne. The magazine was bought by a big magazine publishing group about 4 years ago and is now very much just another UK bike magazine.

oicdn

Those roads are in the South of France and you're right they are a lot of fun and that's why I moved out there 4 years ago!! :yo:

#17 ·
I actually enjoyed watching that vid, apart from when the guy ran wide and came off that is.

I guess I'm getting old now because I would be wondering if there was a goat or sheep :koolaid: on the road around the next bend or perhaps worse, a gaggle of 30 or so cyclists on a training ride, :jsm: I'll admit, I never used to worry about things like that when I was in my 20's and 30's but I do now. :violin: When you want to take your brain out and put it in a jar for a while, do it when you are on a track day, not public roads. :blah: I don't wish to spoil anyone's fun but just imagine if the family in the RV had been there a bit sooner and had stopped to admire the view by that section of concrete!! :shocker:

#18 ·
Having read all the major bike publications that have been on offer for the last 20 years Fast Bikes was my favorite. Yes it was amaturish in some aspects but i felt it was written by guys like us ,dedicated motorcyclists and not the same old stuff which is repeated in the main stream glossy magazines. At least colin schiller had the balls to write editorials that questioned a lot of the bureacracy that we all live under.I wonder what he is doing now?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.