MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went for a quick ride today. It was pretty damn warm but since I had my Feher AC helmet kicking I really didn't notice and I was always moving. When I got to the light by my house I noticed the temp was at 220. I glanced down and noticed my fan was not on. I rode home and left the bike idling while I opened the garage to see if they would kick on. By the time I checked the bike temp had gotten to 230 and was flashing. I shut it off and she proceeded to throw up her coolant from the overflow tube. I checked the fuse for the fan and it was good. I went ahead and jumped power to the fan and it did not spin. I took off the fan and jumped it to my Jeeps battery and it still did not spin. It looks like I need to replace it. Is there an upgrade? Can I install a more efficient SPAL fan? Or maybe one from a Ducati? I can't find any information on it. Either my search skills suck or this isn't one and I have to purchased a used OEM unit.

Thanks

·
Vendor
5,337 Posts
Try to post in the For Sale section.
I am sure someone will have a secondhand fan they can sell you.
The Ducati fans are completely different.

·
Administrator
19,858 Posts
No no no.... lots of options here. It is just a fan. The mounting is the key, and you can shift your mounting to another fan from another bike.

Ducati fans can be made to work, so can fans from other bikes. The fan is just a small DC motor with some blades attached in a frame that mounts to....whatever.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
ON my RC51 I ran a 5" SPAL fan that that not only pulled more air but did it pulling a lot less AMP's. Anyone here use an after market one? I ran thru EBAY and a used one is already 115 bucks where a fan for a B3 or even a later B4 are half that. Is the stock fan a Puller or Pusher?

·
Administrator
19,858 Posts
It pulls air through the radiator.... Older bikes had separate fan blades within a ring. Later bikes have a integral ring type fan (spal type).

Find something you can mount to your frame with about the same thickness/diameter.

·
Registered
14,502 Posts
?

Some Ducatis use exactly the same fan motor as his '06 Brutale

Here's my spare single fan Brutale radiator
And a Ducati fan motor

Attachments

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Brought in the fan to work and tried again. Fan spins under 12 volts. Looks like I gotta dig deeper. I guess I will keep the fan I ordered on stand b ;(

·
Super Moderator
22,354 Posts
Check the fan relay.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Does the 910S even have a Fan relay? I read mention of it in the manual but I can't find it on the bike and I even read here that this bike does not have one that it is ran off the SPU?

·
Super Moderator
22,354 Posts
Does the 910S even have a Fan relay? I read mention of it in the manual but I can't find it on the bike and I even read here that this bike does not have one that it is ran off the SPU?
The relay is in the SPU...that is what the SPU is: fuses and relays. (Service Power Unit)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So does that mean that the SPU took a crap? No other issue's what so ever. I still have to reinstall the fan and check the Temp sensor on the thermostat housing. Would suck to replace it. I think it has been replaced already. It's blue.

·
Super Moderator
22,354 Posts
That MIGHT mean the fan relay in the SPU took a crap.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well the temp read out on the dash works fine so that rules out the Radiator temp sensor. The fuse is good and the motor works when plugged straight into power. I'll bolt it up and short out the "M" connector to see if the fan runs followed by a resistance test of it. If it fails that and the fans runs after its shorted then its the temp switch. If it passes then the Relay in the SPU died. IF that is the case I should be able to bypass that really and run a switch to energize the fan manually. Everything else is working fine that is running thru the SPU so....

·
Administrator
19,858 Posts
The fan is triggered by the ECU....and the ECU uses a different sensor than the meter !!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I thought the second Temp sensor is the one that told the ECU the temp of the motor so it can adjust fuel and in the case it is too hot trigged the ECU to provide a ground to energize the fan. No?

·
Administrator
19,858 Posts
I thought the second Temp sensor is the one that told the ECU the temp of the motor so it can adjust fuel and in the case it is too hot trigged the ECU to provide a ground to energize the fan. No?
The ECU turns on the fan relay based on the sensor reading it sees.... the meter uses a different sensor.

On my 910R the meter sensor went wacko and showed overheat, but the bike wasn't overheating at all..... I've seen several of the 2008 models do that (including mine). They have a single component with 2 separate sensors incorporated. Yours has 2 physically separate sensors.

Andrew has a F4.... separate relay. Your Brutale fan relay (triggered by the ECU) is in the SPU.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Apparently this bike with having relatively low miles (8800) for the year (2006) the majority of connectors are corroded or loose. It turned out that the temp sensor for the ECU connector was loose or corroded. I cleaned everything up reseated it all and the fan turns on at 193 ish and the temps dropped quickly with the bike sitting in the garage. This is with very little Anitfreeze as I topped it off with Distilled water. Since it never gets below freezing down here I think I will flush it out at a later date with Engine Ice. The level is above the "Min" mark so once I take her out she will burp out the overflow.
Thanks again for the help guys.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts