MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wierdest thing I've ever experianced today happenned. Getting ready for work, I went outside to roll the bike off it's stand, start the bike and it fires up as usual. I sit there for a second, and grab my helmet, jacket, and gloves sitting on the cooler next to it while it warm ups. I walk into the house to get my wallet and shut off the TV and hear a loud noise in the garage....

I go outside to look and see my beloved Brutale laying there, with the rear wheel spinning. Oddly enough, it didn't get any scratches from the ground, but it knicked my coloer ONE THE WAY DOWN :cussing: and there are two scratches about 2 inches long, scuffs is a better term. It looks like you could maybe buff it out if it were a normal paintjob, but it's the opaque black color...i.e flat grey. And when I goto pick it up, I noticed the clutch lever ball was broken off :bawling:

:bawling:

Either, it ghost shifted into 1st, and when it tipped over, shifted into second when the lever/shifter hit the ground, or it shifted into 2nd....eitherway, it shifted into a gear, moved foreward and came off the kickstand and fell over :cussing:

Anybody else have this problem? Or have it ghost shift on you at a light and stall out(never had that happen)? The gearbox never acted funny, and still shifts flawlessly....it was just odd how that happenned and I wanna know if there's anything I can do to prevent it from happening again. One of those freak occurances? Possible it wasn't "completely" shifted into neutral, and the clutch grabbed into gear? Kinda wierd if that's the case, seeing as how I was out there for like 20 seconds while it was idling....

·
Registered
438 Posts
sorry to hear about that. I had a friend that had the same thing happen to his kawi....and ever since then i always sit on the bike and let her warm up (just to be safe).

it was probably not all the way in neutral for that to happen, now go fix that clutch lever :stickpoke

·
Registered
438 Posts
maybe the cooler actually saved your bike from more damage? you should be hugging that cooler!! :king:

·
Registered
8,860 Posts
Wow that is alarming. I suppose listen to the above about the not-shifted-all-the-way, but that is really an odd occurance. Sorry about the damage :bawling:

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah...not even a week in the garage and it's getting raped by the cooler :laughing: It's like Toy Story or Toy Soldiers....the things in the garage only ACT inanimate...till you leave. :humpother :toothless :laughing:

Well, tough learning I guess. Never thought I'de be buying a Duc (having to sit on it while she warms up) :loser: :laughing:

·
MV Cellist
4,595 Posts
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH that hurts!!!

I feel your pain and agony! I am soory... glad that it's not worse.

Was the kickstand properly engaged? did you have it all the way forward? if not, the engine vibration could have moved things a bit to cause it to fall. and shift into gear when impacted...I can't imagine that it could pop into 1st gear from neutral, the other way around perhaps...

owning a Ducati taught me to properly engage the kickstand well as they are spring loaded.

I also think you should thank your cooler, it broke the fall a little on the way down. the lever is easy to replace.

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
Nooooooooooooooo :bawling:

Sorry to hear about that :(

But i had never even heard of that "ghost shifting".

Isn't it possible that someone did that? A kid or something? (i don't know how and where is your garage and if other people have access to it or not...)

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
that completely sucks.
looks like the damange is pretty minor.

as for falling off the side stand, i can see it happen. the side stand on my F4 does NOT give me the most resounding confidence. it has a sort of "semi-stable" position, where it's extended but not fully against the stop. it would be REAL easy for the bike to roll off it in that position.

whenever i put the bike on that side stand, i really put my foot on it (the arm) and make sure it's at full lock before i load it with the bike's weight.

any chance that's what happened?

alex

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I don't think any kids coulda done it. Nobody was even awake. It was 5:15 this morning.

I'm thankful as hell nothing else happened to it, but damn, those levers aren't exactly cheap :laughing: :finger:

I found some levers:
http://www.moto-mv.com/other_special_parts.htm

Funny thing about it all, first thing I checked was the tank, cause it protrudes out, not even a scratch there! Same goes for the seat area and swingarm! The case cover had some really minor scratches, but after you brushed it off, you wouldn't even notice, as it's on the very bottom corner. The mirror has some really minor scratches on the corner as well, but aside from that, the rest of the bike is fine. Even the bar-end is untouched...I found that really odd....

·
Registered
279 Posts
last week I was coming to a stop light glanced down and saw a green light and let go of the clutch. So I was waiting at the light and realised the green light was the headlight light and not the neutral light!

I was like 'what the hell' and I thought thiswas kinda shady as this has never happen on any of the 8 other bikes I ve ever owned.

It only happened once so far and I ll probably only warm it up with me sitting on it from now on....

·
MV Cellist
4,595 Posts
altoon said:
that completely sucks.
looks like the damange is pretty minor.

as for falling off the side stand, i can see it happen. the side stand on my F4 does NOT give me the most resounding confidence. it has a sort of "semi-stable" position, where it's extended but not fully against the stop. it would be REAL easy for the bike to roll off it in that position.

whenever i put the bike on that side stand, i really put my foot on it (the arm) and make sure it's at full lock before i load it with the bike's weight.

any chance that's what happened?

alex
that's exactly what I was talking about... with the older European bikes, like my Ducati 916, and on my Derbi, they even have this spring loaded kickstand that forces you to purposely overcome the spring tension in order to fully engage it forward, supposely to prevent riders from crashing in case you forget to retract the stand when you take off, it is design to pop back up out of the way when you lean to the left... pain in the butt IMO, the kickstand kill switch is a much better solution.

So since then, I have developed the habit when I park any bike, I always lean to the right 1st, engage the stand fully, while holding it in position with my foot I lean the bike back to rest on the stand, once rested its weight on the stand, I would push the bike back an inch just to be sure that the kickstand is still in the fully locked forward position and then I will take my foot of the stand.

As you have probably guessed, I have had the same thing happen to me(a cooler was involved also :laughing: ), it is a terrible feeling when that happens.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Man, I feel your pain. First bike I ever owned I put the side stand down on a very hot day on blacktop. I was taking the MSF class. I came back at the end of the day. You can guess what happened to my bike.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah.....if I have to park outside somewhere and it's hot outside...I try to park it next to a curb so I can put the kickstand on part of the white part of the curb that meets the blacktop so I don't sink in.

But yeah, I made sure after I took it off the rear stand, I do that whole pull it abck a bit to make sure it's completely out....I learned that lesson on my R6 on a driveway:laughing:

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
That really sucks...I too am very careful about making sure that kick stand is locked in properly :conveyer: , I have to say it doesn't fill me with confidence.

I'm also thinking that maybe the stand wasn't quite in position and that the engine vibration may have caused it to fall then engage the gear.

Must admit until now I've also walked away from mine while it warms up.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Its the one thing we all fear the most....at least the damage was minimal....its like a slow motion replay when they fall, and its heart wrenching!!

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
Reminds me when I had a new 750 Honda, parked it next to a wall on a bit of a slope and when it fell over just after I got off it, the fins on the engine block (air cooled lump) scraped against the brickwork and one broke off. Man, was I pissed. Really sorry to hear about your mishap Oicdn.

·
MV Cellist
4,595 Posts
agusta01 said:
Its the one thing we all fear the most....at least the damage was minimal....its like a slow motion replay when they fall, and its heart wrenching!!
Terrible feeling indeed, it ruins your week... luckily it was naked bike, if it had a fairing it might have cracked.

the fact is that unlike a car, a motorcycle is not design to be stable, you have to make it not fall down onto its sides at all times.

·
Registered
301 Posts
odonata said:
the older European bikes, like my Ducati 916,

So since then, I have developed the habit when I park any bike, I always lean to the right 1st, engage the stand fully, while holding it in position with my foot I lean the bike back to rest on the stand, once rested its weight on the stand, I would push the bike back an inch just to be sure that the kickstand is still in the fully locked forward position and then I will take my foot of the stand.
I always do this procedure ritualistically - just to make sure. I had a 916, and made the mistake (outside the Ducati shop :cussing: ) of leaning slightly to the right AFTER I put the side stand down, then hopped off, and bang, over went the 916 - right in front of the two guys I was talking to as they admired my bike. F***er of a side stand retracted because I inadvertantly moved it about 1 mm off the stand.

I bet that you did not have the stand fully forward, and the viration did the rest.

Doc :mad:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts