MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
King of the Sink
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just found a recurring problem with my 6th gear. I often find a false neutral there, and sometimes it seems to be in neutral before it finally grabs - a bit like it's slipping. It doesn't happen in any other gear, so I don't think it's the clutch.

Has anyone else had this problem? Any ideas what it might be or how to fix it?

TIA

·
Registered
512 Posts
Sventekoz said:
I've just found a recurring problem with my 6th gear. I often find a false neutral there, and sometimes it seems to be in neutral before it finally grabs - a bit like it's slipping. It doesn't happen in any other gear, so I don't think it's the clutch.

TIA
No can't say I have John, I had the clumsys caused by myself when the bike was new finding neutral through the lower gears but nothing since the bike has been run in and never in 6th. How many km's have you done now and have you had the first service yet??

·
Ambassador / 007 , , Waiting for new bike
6,135 Posts
Sventekoz said:

TIA
I had the same problem on My 750 S Gladio.....
No problem in starfighter..
So,is not a problem,normal.....Mv said...
pier

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
The Dude
5,041 Posts
Yup, I've had that happen several times.

What I do now is avoid the highway.... haha....

Didn't happen last ride out though. There was a service in between (2nd service), don't know of anything they actually looked at for it.

Pretty scary to get the free revving without thrust at highway speeds when you are trying to get away from the fast-approaching cagers..... :jsm:

·
King of the Sink
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm glad it isn't me or my particular bike, but I would have expected a bit better from an Agusta gearbox. I can put up with a lot of things and see them as foibles and part of the character of the bike, but I don't really think they have an excuse for this sort of thing.

·
King of the Sink
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Aussie MV said:
No can't say I have John, I had the clumsys caused by myself when the bike was new finding neutral through the lower gears but nothing since the bike has been run in and never in 6th. How many km's have you done now and have you had the first service yet??
Yep - first service done. I've done nearly 1800km now. If anything the problem seems to be getting worse. I was going up the freeway today, and when I noticed it I went from 5th to 6th and back again a few times, and it happened more often than not. It seemed that the only way to overcome it was through a really careful, slow change.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Sventekoz said:
Yep - first service done. I've done nearly 1800km now. If anything the problem seems to be getting worse. I was going up the freeway today, and when I noticed it I went from 5th to 6th and back again a few times, and it happened more often than not. It seemed that the only way to overcome it was through a really careful, slow change.
Yeah thats not good enough, I would be straight on the phone to the Paul Feeney group if I couldn't get anything out of RG's.

·
The Dude
5,041 Posts
yeah, it's a bit annoying. but not as scary as a low speed stall.... :)

·
Registered
281 Posts
I have not had this happen on mine - 6200 miles... My S3 hits this with my 5-6th shift once in a while....tad annoying. I have been very happy with the gearbox and clutch on the Brutale. Maybe I am lucky....

·
Registered
522 Posts
I've also had this problem not as frequent as you seem to only once in a while.Also get a slight click after it is put into 6th the rest of the gears are smooth.

·
Registered
803 Posts
happened to me once or twice in 2,200 miles, but usually when I tap the shift level too lightly.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Also get a slight click after it is put into 6th the rest of the gears are smooth.
I know what you mean 910rwantobe. Both my 750 & 910 had a kind off double selection or click feel before 6th gear is engaged. 6th gear feels different to all others for whatever reason though I've never experienced the false neutral thing & have always been very deliberet when selecting 6th.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
I don't have it happen in just one gear. It happens sometimes in other gears, like I miss my shift, if I didn't FULLY lift up, like it didn't grab. Kinda annoying. Doesn't happen all that often, but enough to make me go wtf when it does. If Pier said it's normal...meh...I'm fine with it.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
dumbcomputers said:
happened to me once or twice in 2,200 miles, but usually when I tap the shift level too lightly.[/QUOTE

+1 If I don`t give it a good lift into 6th it does not grab. I took a test ride on a 910 after putting over 5,000 mi. on my 750 and noticed a much smoother tranny and easier neutral too.

·
King of the Sink
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
JamesC said:
Never had a problem 5th to 6th. Are you clutchless? How is chain condition and slack?
No - not clutchless, but I thought I might try that. Would you recommend that in general terms? Chain condition and slack is prefect - brand new bike immediately after its first service.

·
King of the Sink
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The general consensus seems to be that I try bugger boots. I might try adjusting the lever positions...

·
Registered
968 Posts
Sventekoz, do you preload your changes with your left foot?

I find changes on the MV smoothest if I preload, make a definite movement, use no clutch, make sure i'm revving reasonably high in the current gear, and snap the throttle (you don't need to all the way to rest).

1 - 20 of 30 Posts