MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Does anyone know of a problem with the gearbox on a Brutale 750 going into false neutral between 5th and 6th gear. Mine seems to do it fairly regularly. If so is there a fix?
It's a 2003 model done around 13k kilometers
Cheers

Craig

·
The Dude
5,041 Posts
i think a few people have had this happen. It did on my 910. Seems to have gone away, haven't hit that in a year or so.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Yeah that's normal. I think it's due to oil sticking the 5th and 6th gears together?

No "fix" as such, just make your change a solid movement and positive preload helps.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Same here, I just learned how to yank on the shifter when I get up there. I was thinking that if there was a way to convert it to a race shifter that maybe would make a difference.
Just thinking out loud!
Or maybe now that HD took over we can use one of their heel shifters!

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Ditto! To all the above.

·
Administrator
20,048 Posts
Quite common for 5th to 6th transition to be "sticky" on many bikes, especially higher performance bikes. A lot has to do with engaging dog tolerances which are very tight in higher gears to reduce drive train lash. You will also notice that the sensation or possibility of a "missed shift" is much lessened at higher RPMs....but , of course, you will be going way too fast on public roads at those engine speeds.

A positive toe is required to ensure full engagement before releasing pressure.

So, bottom line...it is not an MV problem, or a problem with your bike. You might experience the same thing on Hyabusas, ZX10s, YZR1s, etc.

·
Registered
235 Posts
So, bottom line...it is not an MV problem, or a problem with your bike. You might experience the same thing on Hyabusas, ZX10s, YZR1s, etc.
Ducatis don't have that problem! Plenty of others problems but not that!

·
Administrator
20,048 Posts
Ducatis don't have that problem! Plenty of others problems but not that!
That's cause they have a lot of gear lash and don't rev as high :stickpoke

....actually, you might be able to experience this on a Duc.... if you look for it. It is symptomatic of the constant mesh transmissions common to all modern motorcycles...you just have to get the right parameters in place.:)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Missed Shift experience/QUESTION

I have a brand new Brutale S, now with 1000kms on it.
I have had a problem 3 times now with missed shift/false neutral between 5th and 6th gear.
i understand there is nothing wrong with the bike.
Remedies are more positive gear change, preloading and changing in higher revs.
My question is
What do I do when I have missed the change? Do I clutch in and change up/down or clutch in and come to a stop?
is the rattling sound I can hear at the time damaging?

·
Administrator
20,048 Posts
Pull the clutch back in and finish the shift (throttle off)....I'm not sure about rattling sounds, unless that's the gear dogs not quite meshed. The whole process should be pretty instantaneous...just don't do it in the first place.

·
Registered
33 Posts
It happens to my 910 at least once a day. And once it does it takes a tremendous amount of force to get it back in gear with the most horrible bang sound. So now when it happens I pull over,shut her down, shift it back to neutral then start it back up and leave. And while I'm pulling over I also hear the same rattling noise while it's in the false neutral. I've trained myself to do a more positive shift

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Well that is quite a thread resurrection!
I had similiar issues when I first got my MV. I found that the best fix was to adjust the toe peg downwards to ensure that I could get a positive action with the least amount of foot travel.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts