MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i have been trying to get adjusted and love my mv but i have a small problem. I feel like the bike is trying to fall into the turns and is not neutral. What could be the cause of this. I am running the stock diablo corse tires and tire pressure is about 36psi. I have varied the tire pressure from 30 all the way to max of 38 and this does not change the feeling. Low speed and high speed turns all feel wierd. I am starting to think maybe it is just me but i don't think so. Also after the tires heat up and i am rolling at a good pace say 80 in a straight line the rear tire feels like it is kinda slidding around not planted. So does anyone have any ideas or maybe i am just imagining things.

Also this is a weird request but if anyone is around the Waldorf Md area that has an mv 750 maybe you could ride my bike and i ride yours just for a second to see if there is a difference.

·
The Dude
5,041 Posts
Are you running 180/55's in the rear? They help the falling in.... if 190/50's, then they should fall less.... at least that is how my brute vs. F4 feel..... i liked the falling in so got 190/55's on the brute instead of 50's.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
i think i know what you're talking about. mine kinda does the same thing. i think it might be normal. you push on your peg and it just falls into the turn, right? try lowering your rear suspension and it should take a bit more effort to turn-in. i could be wrong, tho.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok so this is somewhat normal. This is not a comfortable feeling. I am running the 190 on the rear. I will try working on the rear suspension.

·
Registered
64 Posts
How many miles are on the tires? A rear tire that gets squared off due to heavy wear in the center will definitely make the bike feel like it wants to fall in. Have you checked the suspension sag?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Every MV 750 I've ridden felt like that: mine, my friends', the demo bikes. Especially at low speed. It was pretty disconcerting at first. I remember trying to fix it but coming up short. I just got used to it.

I'll add that the 1000 doesn't feel that way, for some reason.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Outkasted said:
Well i have been trying to get adjusted and love my mv but i have a small problem. I feel like the bike is trying to fall into the turns and is not neutral. What could be the cause of this. I am running the stock diablo corse tires and tire pressure is about 36psi. I have varied the tire pressure from 30 all the way to max of 38 and this does not change the feeling. Low speed and high speed turns all feel wierd. I am starting to think maybe it is just me but i don't think so. Also after the tires heat up and i am rolling at a good pace say 80 in a straight line the rear tire feels like it is kinda slidding around not planted. So does anyone have any ideas or maybe i am just imagining things.

Also this is a weird request but if anyone is around the Waldorf Md area that has an mv 750 maybe you could ride my bike and i ride yours just for a second to see if there is a difference.
I know it may sound simple, but check the setting on your steering damper. Your issue sounds like a it may be set a bit too hard. Loosen it all the way and give it a try. If the problem goes away, tighten it two clicks at a time until you feel it again, and then go back one click.
Also, remember that these bikes are designed to take steep turns. The feeling you are experiencing may simply be the suspension "setting" into the turn. If you have not leaned a bike at speed before, this may be a little unnerving at first.
Good luck, mate.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Could just be your ride height is too high, wheres your suspension at? Unless you know set your suspension to stock and do your static sag and take it from there, it's best to star from scratch and keep track of all the adjustments you make.

Also has the rake been adjusted??? I'm not sure what the settings go to and from on the 750 but this may also be something to look at.

·
2,155 Posts
Rockethouse said:
Could just be your ride height is too high, wheres your suspension at? Unless you know set your suspension to stock and do your static sag and take it from there, it's best to star from scratch and keep track of all the adjustments you make.

Also has the rake been adjusted??? I'm not sure what the settings go to and from on the 750 but this may also be something to look at.
Agree with Rs comments to a point; your 750 should be neutral (speaking from experience 2000 F4 and 02 Senna) I used to run my rear ride height to the max and still the steering input / turn in was progressive ---not agressive, last but not least, check the profile of your front tyre and make sure nothing is amiss here odd wear etc. :jsm: :jsm: :jsm:

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am going to have to learn about setting up the suspension. Any place to read on that or is it in the manaual. I have not read that in a couple of weeks i will have to look again and see.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I have had my suspension looked at by other people and I've not been happy so decided to "play" myself so started with the settings in the owners manual, there is one for road and one for the track. You do need to read carefully as some are taken from right in and some from right out. But I reckon those settings are pretty damm close.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Try what Alan has suggested above its a good idea to start from the original settings as you dod not know what the last owner has messed with, but when you say its odd in a straight line when the suspension should be doing very little work I think I would also check a few mechanical things.

MV's have been known to loosen the front headstock, try sitting on the bike (if you have no stand to get the front wheel off the ground) pull the front brake on and with your other hand get your fingers just under the top triple clamp and onto the headstock feeling for any play.

Second MV issue is the rear wheel bearing, put the bike on the rear stand to stop it falling over and grab the wheel and bike frame and see if you can detect any play.

Front wheel bearings have also given a few problems so check for play there as well :)

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
so, did you decide to keep it? i saw a red/silver 750 at friday's in greenbelt last wed i had never seen before. was it you?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No not me mine is all silver. I am trying to keep it but i have a few finance humps to get past first so nothing for sure yet. So for now she is still for sale.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Rockethouse said:

Yeah you really need to have the suspension checked by a component suspension person before you can say one way or another. It may just be in your head, but you'll never really know for sure until you have your suspension set-up for your body and riding style.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts