MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I registered here and have been carefully honing my search-fu skills so as not to anger the "knurl".... yet.

Even after buying my 996 SPS and riding the crap outta her, I still have a deepening lust/love for the F4. So I start window shopping and attempting to gather information on the F4 so I know what i'm getting into.

Not too long ago, I began eyeballing two different 1000R's and came awefully close to pulling the trigger on what appeared to be a well cared for white/black beauty. he had some nice mods and had low mileage. Despite that something didnt quite 'feel' right (and work was not cooperating with my plans to travel north to get her) so I passed.

Today on my way into work, I decided to steer Il Mostro ( s2r1000 with 50k RAPIDLY approaching on the odo) over to my closest Mv dealer to take a gander at an red/silver 312R...

Good LORD !! I talk with the shop owner who tells me about the bike and its owner.. original owner who's trading up for a '13 F4RR. Bikes got acceptable mileage, full service records, decat midpipe, new cam tensioner, upgraded fans, waer pump too IIRC. Price seems good to me.. certainly do-able.

So i'm crunching numbers and imagining exactly where she's gonna go in my garage.. right next to my cot where i'll be sleeping when the wife finds out, but i'm so spun on this bike that I don't care what she says about this impending purchase..

I GOTTA HAVE HER!

Just wanna give thanks to the forum for the wealth of insight and info.. Definitely helped seal my fate for adding a new beauty to my family.

Stay tuned for pics..

Any add'l insight/info I should look for would be appreciated

(in addition to ECU tuning, hub, airbox wellnut issues)

THX

Lawbreaker

·
Super Moderator
7,346 Posts
Feel free to piss Noel off all you like.
It's a rite of passage around here.
Welcome.

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
... Bikes got acceptable mileage, full service records, decat midpipe, new cam tensioner, upgraded fans, waer pump too IIRC. Price seems good to me.. certainly do-able.
As I recall, correct me if I'm wrong, '08 312R did not have a replaceable mid-pipe. Either it's a welded-in replacement for the cat, or it has new headers as well, as the stock cat is welded into the header pipes. Or it's not an '08 312R.

'07 1000R had a replaceable mid-pipe.

Any way, welcome! :)

·
Super Moderator
7,346 Posts
You are correct, the 312R had its catalytic converter welded to the headers. This meant that the three section exhaust from previous models (headers / mid pipe / exhaust cans) became a two piece system (headers & catalytic converter / exhaust cans).
You can remove the catalytic converter from the 312R using two methods.
The pictures below show the OEM headers alongside a set of the older headers that allow the fitment of a titanium or stainless steel slip on catless midpipe. Also shown is the adaptation of the titanium link pipe to accommodate the lambda sensor. The lambda sensor can be removed and sealed with a threaded bung if using a Microtec ECU.
More information on this process can be found here:
http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=22849

The other method is to "gut" the catalytic converter.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,894 Posts
I believe the 312R already comes with the better cct from the factory.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yep... Rock Store, mid-week so the "Snake" was squid free. SOOOOO many better roads in Malibu that don't get the amount of traffic that Mulholland does..

·
Registered
517 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts