MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to run race pattern (GP pattern) on the F4 (all other bikes except one are race pattern), opted for and purchased Gilles Tooling black rear sets Fitted them only to find that the fairing wouldn't go on without cutting a hole to allow for the lever from the engine and the linkage to the footpeg to function.

Opted to cut the hole which weekend the fairing near the belly pan and looked ugly.

The solution was to 'weld' a new section to the fairing so that it looked like it was an 'original bump'

pics the results are attached

Attachments

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
damn! you did a good job!

·
Registered
5,076 Posts
Fine, fine work. You be da' man.

I had to mod a set of Satos on my Tambo for the same problem. I modified the shift arm to clear the inside of the fairing instead.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Looks good.

I was thinking of getting these rearsets to use as reverse shift.
I was just wondering if it was possible to put the shift rod on the other side(right side) of the shift knuckle so it would be closer to the bike and not hit the fairing.
I assume you would have already tried this before but I was curious as to why it is not possible.

·
Registered
5,076 Posts
Three Two one,

I don't know about the Gilles but like I said I did just what you're pondering to some Satos. Had to modify the trans shiftarm to clear the fairing but it was easy fish and works just dandy. I assume the same could be done to any rearset shifter.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yep, I tried all the possible ways I could think of and in each case there was a problem. I think when the rod was on the 'engine' side it fowled the engine. It should also be pointed out that the linkages should all be at right angles (or very close to) to provide the best gear change.

I contacted my local supplier and received a response the next day from Gilles Tooling indicating that a hole in the fairing was required. I asked if there was another option such as a different lever and they said there wasn't. They also provided an updated parts list as some things had changed (the spline rod and the footpeg design).

I also enquired about the reverse shift drum but received no response from MV and with the parts supply problems you hear about wrt Italian bikes I wasn't fussed.

There is also the problem with the reverse shift drum that if you wish to sell the bike it will need to be changed back to normal shift as most riders can't ride race pattern. Easy to do with aftermarket rearsets plus you can also sell the rearsets seperately if you put the original pegs and lever on (or put them on your new F4)

With the fairing bump most people wouldn't realise that it is a post production mod, especially with the rearsets

·
Registered
5,076 Posts
Three Two One,

I looked at the Gilles on the web, and they're right about modding that lever. I see no way due to it's design. If you haven't bought them yet and can swallow the Satos I'm telling you they can be modified for a GP pattern. If you have the Gilles call Dan Kyle at Kyleusa and see if you can get a Sato arm in the same finish. I'll tell you just how to mod it or you can send me the arm and I'll mod it for you at no cost.

Changing the drum is going to cost major bucks and require God knows what in there to do it. Why, when you can just mod the arm?

·
Registered
8,920 Posts
AFAIK the shift drum is cheaper than rearsets and not that hard to install.
If the ONLY reason you're installing rearsets is for race-pattern, than th drum makes more sense, otherwise, I agree, buying both is obviously more expensive.

·
Registered
5,076 Posts
Well I guess I've learned something today. I just assumed that a drum would be costly and alot of work to install. Oh well, too late now.

·
Registered
53 Posts
cheers

emmevi125s, I think the work you have done is very good the only reason I asked is because of the pic on the emoto website http://www.emotouk.com/mvagusta/gillesrearsets.htm and I emailed emoto and they said that it was not a problem and also the MR rearsets were good for reverse shift.

Lee, I greatly appreciate your genorousity in offering to mod the satos for free. I do not know what rearsets I will get yet but if I go with the satos I will let you know and maybe you could send me a pic of what you did.

The reason why I decided to go with rearsets instead of the drum is because rearsets can easily be removed for whatever reason, provied grip and offer a bit of crash protection compared to stock.
I pick the bike up in a couple of weeks anyway so I will decide what to do then. I will just have to make sure I think about changing gears when I pick it up.... on the test ride I accidenlty changed from 2nd to 1st :jsm: hahaha

Merry Christmas

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I did some research prior to the purchase of Gilles rearsets and was unaware of any problems with the fitment of these or for that matter any other rearsets. The Gilles were chosen purely on availability and cost as there are few MV aftermarket suppliers in Australia and even fewer who carry the stock on the shelf.

the supplier, Easy Rider Imports in Sydney, had about a three week delivery to my door and was about $150 AUD cheaper than if I brought some in from overseas or other local suppliers (the going price was around $800 AUD).

The best option would be the reverse drum shift (no linkages which means better gear changes) with adjustable footpegs. It is the option I would look at next time although I don't know if there are any suppliers of pegs only. All existing pegs seem to have attachments for linkages. You also have to deal with the actual supply of the reverse drum shift from MV.

It would seem from what others have said that most race pattern rear sets require some extra work, mod the fairing as I did or mod the linkages arms as has been done by others.

I cannot see how the other suppliers get around the problem of the fairing fowling the linkage when fitting a race pattern gear change. If a shorter arm is used then the gear change will be "harder' due to the reduced lever effect. More linkages means more slop and again a less effective gear change. 'Bending' the linkages doesn't seem like the correct way of doing it even if it is both practical and effective.

ah! decisions, decisions. and all I want is a race pattern gear change

·
Registered
53 Posts
Well I'm in Aus too so I might get on to the place you got them from if it ends up being cheaper.

I've been waiting to find out what the MV race team uses here, I am going to try find out next time they are at Queensland Raceway. I would say they probably use the shift drum.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm pretty certain they use the shift drum which was factory fitted as opposed to fitted here once the bikes arrived

1 - 19 of 19 Posts