MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My F4 RR has developed a couple of cracks in the fairing. One in the front cowl right above the headlight, and another in the fin below the headlight. Today I removed the front cowl to find out what is going on.
In addition to the cracks there is no sign of any physical damage or impact to the cowl. I suspect the cracks may be vibration-induced.
Strange enough I haven´t seen anything like this in my earlier F4s, not even at a much higher mileage.
I wonder if anyone else has encountered this, and whether you have figured out how to deal with it?
In the case there would be a way to repair the cowl, it would need to be repainted. Does anyone happen to know the colour codes for a red/white F4 RR 2012?

Attachments

·
Registered
14,502 Posts
Dave;
come on everybody with an MV always obeys the law and never wheelies.......

you believe in the Easter Bunnie too??? :stickpoke

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Just a thought here.
Do you do the occasional wheelie on this bike?
A good point.
In road use no, but I do 5-6 track days a year. Even there you try to keep the front wheel down. However, on the Alastaro circuit there are two chicane exits where power wheelies are a bit of an issue. I have had to readjust the rear suspension a little to keep the front wheel down.
I have done more track days with the RR. This is about the only difference I can think of compared to my earlier bikes. Nevertheless, the bike has definitely not been abused, and I am a bit surprised if this use would overload the fairing.
These cracks have now become too much of a distraction to be ignored in such a beautiful bike. Just need to find a way to have them fixed or replace the whole front fairing.

·
Super Moderator
22,355 Posts
The top crack is at the join seam where the two halves are mated.

·
Administrator
19,860 Posts
A good auto body shop should be able to plastic weld the part, and color match the paint with ease. A good auto paint shop doesn't care a lot about color codes, they mix their own paint using a spectrometer designed for that purpose.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Mine cracked exactly like yours. Its a very weak point. I put it down to the locating pins for the mirror arms breaking and not holding the cowl in the correct position. Don't bother trying to repair it, mine lasted 1 ride before it cracked again.
I ended up buying a carbon version, there not that expensive.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 8 of 8 Posts