MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, seeking your expertise (again)...

5 weeks ago I rode from NYC to Harrisburg, PA - and back - no issues at all bike ran great.

Then the bike sat for 5 weeks in garage with 1/3rd tank gas, not run/started, until yesterday. I went out for a short ride. About 15 minutes into the ride, whilst in town at about 40mph, engine temp 205ish (normal for my bike; also it was about 90 degrees out), the motor started "sputtering" with power reduced to almost 0. :jsm: This occurred for a few blocks, then the sputtering ceased and the motor ran fine. Then it started again, and stopped again. Did this a few times as I quickly headed back to base. At no point did the engine quit although at stop lights it sounded as if it might (during the sputtering events).

The sputtering reminded me of when I was a kid and we rode 80cc two-stroke dirt bikes, occassionally the lone spark plug would become "fouled" with a bit of grit or sand. Remove plug, clean, replace, issue solved. The symptom yesterday had the exact same feel and sound to it - as if one cylinder was kicking in and out or misfiring (?).

As I headed back I decided to fill up with gas since the tank had been sitting for a while at 1/3 full. I wondered if water had condensed into the tank over the last 5 weeks. I topped off with 3 gallons fresh gas, and the sputtering did not appear to return during another 15 mile ride to test it out. Although it idled a bit rough.

Do any of you have and experience with such a symptom, or have possible ideas? Bad gas? Bad plug? ECU? other?

I'd appreciate any possible thoughts/diagnoses you might have as most of you are far more mechanically inclined than I am. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Did the bike sound like it was running on 2 cylinders?

Replace your EBS Relay. $110
Thanks Turbo. It quite possibly could have been running on 2, although to be honest Im not sure what that sounds like. Power was definitely reduced to almost 0 (acceleration, etc.) and it did indeed sound like there was a cylinder or more that weren't firing.

Can you provide more information about the EBS relay, dare I say I'm not familiar with that part or what it does (I kmow, I'm embarassing myself here).

EDIT: wait I found this thread http://mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=9112 and that guys symptoms appear to be exactly what I experienced. Still reading...

·
Registered
601 Posts
Do a search here on "EBS" (Engine Breaking System). I had to replace mine 3 times under warranty on my 2006 F4S. It kept blowing up each time.

If I am not mistaken, last time they relocated the EBS relay to a place more ventilated and never had problems ever since.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks hes, I am sure learning a lot today; based on threads I am reading and other owners' symptoms, it seems the EBS relay may be the culprit; the sputtering kicked in during decels only (which I didnt think about until I read some of this EBS info), and occurred whilst the bike was pretty hot.

Now I have to determine exactly where it is and what it looks like, and if I can change it myself. Seems like maybe I can although living in NYC my tool selection collection, one might say, "sparse."

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Alright I've ordered a new EBS relay ($114) and have found its location in the manual provided by mv2envy - in the manual it appears to be called alternatively the "EBS control unit" and the "EBS valve relay."

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, Im not sure how to test it and I really dont have many tools. Also, based on the symptoms described by others, it really seems a likely culprit. I considered fuel issues, but if it was bad fuel I would think (?) that the motor would just sort of run crappily in general. The sputtering was totally "on again" then "off again" as if cylinder(s) were suddenly kicking in and then out.

My bike has gotten very hot in the past (up to 269), so it is likely the EPS relay took a bit of a beating.

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
The relay and the valve are two different things. The ebs valve is bolted to the engine. The relay is a small gray or black box about 2"x1"x1/2". It will be held to the frame behind the radiator with one of those rubber ties. Unplug it from the harness and plug the new one. No tools except your hands needed.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks CAG - yeah it's just that in the manual they call it the "EBS valve relay" (and also call it the "EBS control unit") which I presume controls the EBS valve.

Anything toolless is fine by me!

·
Ball & Chain magnet
3,027 Posts
When my EBS relay went out, I moved it away from the headers a bit so it would stay a little cooler and not act like a heatsink adn get heat soak. (Hope I worded that right!) I just ran the wires behind the frame and used zip ties to hold it into place. I used Italy's colors for the ties to add an extra touch!

Here is a pic of the old location and an arrow pointing to the new location:

Attachments

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Djester that looks great, I'll try that setup when my new part comes in. Hey I think we have the same bar ends.

·
Ball & Chain magnet
3,027 Posts
they work well, huh? I have an extra set for sale if you know anyone who's looking.
I'll let them go for a good price too! Maybe I should post them up in the "For sale" section ?

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah why not, I really like this bar end set - has reduced the vibrations somewhat at least in my opinion.

·
Registered
7 Posts
ebs relay

Thanks for info MV forum, Hung my EBS relay outside Fairing and no problems. It stayed cool and no sputtering. Looking to buy a new one. This will do for now. Drove me crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks again.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts